Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 12:36:07 PM EDT
Visiting with wife this week. 

Any good places to hit and or areas to steer clear of?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you looking to do? Touristy? Off the beaten path? Foodie? Fishing? Shopping?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Anniversary trip. Open to whatever. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
We went in June and are going back in September.  Checking out the downtown area is neat.  I suggest a carriage tour since the one we used had all day parking for all day parking for $6.  We did a private 2 person ride for $150 but you can do a group ride for around $15. Just make a reservation.

Patriots Point has the Aircraft Carrier, battle ship and sub if thats your kind of thing.  There is a Palmetto State Armory in Mt Pleasant about 15 minutes north of Charleston. We hit up a lot of antique stores since thats my wifes thing.

Take some DEET cause if you get near the woods you will get raped by swams of mosquitoes.

Theres a member here whos buddy own one of the carriage companies but I can't remember who it is.  We used Old South Carriage Company.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Hunley Museum

Magnolia Cemetery

Ft. Moultrie
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hunley Museum

Magnolia Cemetery

Ft. Moultrie
View Quote
And, the King St business district downtown,
The Omni hotel
The old slave market - hand made straw baskets
The battery again if the carriage tour doesn't stop and let you walk up on top.
The SC Aquarium
The beach either at Folly Beach or Isle of Palms
Charlestowne Landing State Park
Tanger Outlet Mall, North Charleston while you are out that way at the Hunley display.
Boone Hall Plantation on Hwy 17 north or any of several plantations on Hwy 61 west, Middleton Place Drayton Hall
The ferry to Fort Sumter
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
If the two of you like Italian food, don't miss having dinner at Wild Olive on Johns Island.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Was just down here for business, had dinner at Hank's seafood. Very good food and nice waitstaff. Had a local IPA from Westbrook Brewery which was pretty tasty.

Lunch was Lewis BBQ, not really authentic southern BBQ, but quite delicious. Reminded me a lot of the BBQ joints in/around Austin. Brisket was solid choice.

Not sure if you left already, and I'm not from here, just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was just down here for business, had dinner at Hank's seafood. Very good food and nice waitstaff. Had a local IPA from Westbrook Brewery which was pretty tasty.

Lunch was Lewis BBQ, not really authentic southern BBQ, but quite delicious. Reminded me a lot of the BBQ joints in/around Austin. Brisket was solid choice.

Not sure if you left already, and I'm not from here, just my .02.
View Quote
You are correct, Lewis BBQ owner is from Texas. It's good but not Carolina style.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You are correct, Lewis BBQ owner is from Texas. It's good but not Carolina style.
View Quote
Well there you go, straight from the local source. Also, we stayed in the embassy suites downtown which used to be the old citadel. Pretty cool hotel and reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I am actually planning a trip to Charleston soon myself.

What are the restaurants that you must visit in Charleston?

Where do the locals go for seafood?

Besides visiting the aircraft carrier and other military vessels, what other museums or attractions should we visit?

Any cool bars, restaurants, or other places to see that the average tourist might not know about.

Besides Palmetto State are there any other good military surplus, gun, and/or knife shops in town?

If you are staying downtown, is it reasonably safe to walk from hotel to restaurants, bars etc. after dark or should we take cabs?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
High notes ....

Husk
Magnolias
oyster house 

All fantastic 
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
We are heading down Sunday, Hopefully the hurricane leave us alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top