Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 6:05:06 AM EDT
I don't have any catchy stinky gun show titles and I'm not attending.

Who else is not attending?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Not going.....No desire to have my olfactory senses offended, hate crowds, and never find anything that is a great deal that makes the hassle worthwhile.  Besides I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor at the moment and I doubt they would have anything that is on my punch list for the gun. The shows were great for me back in the 80's and early 90's tons of great stuff, but the last few Ive been to were full of guns that dealers couldn't move, ones that were overpriced or in need of major armorer/smith work. The only thing I've been searching for is some H4350, Simpson's has some IMR 4350 locally but it is temperature sensitive, so a no go for the Creedmoor. Will just shoot factory ammo to build up my brass supply once the gun is finished.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh, may go if its raining. Better than being stuck in the house.

Yea, the deals, and neat items are mostly long gone. The few one of a kinds and neat items are usually snatched up between dealers just prior to opening or gone in the first hour after opening. After that, It is pretty much as described above. It is still a good place to shop for common handguns, but most prices no better than the Sportsman's type business nearby.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Now that I know it is happening, I will probably go on Sunday. Thanks for the heads-up.

I need some dental picks for cleaning. Also, there's a merchant that sells S&B primers for $19-21 a box. I don't like to pay shipping or HazMat, so that's a good price to me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't been to a show in, well I don't know how many years.  I was kinda thinking about going just to see if anyone had any H&R barrels, a Mini-14 or any S&W revolvers approaching reasonable prices.  Nah, who am I kidding, I remember why I quit going to them.    They used to be fun and you used to be able to find some decent deals.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I want a .243 rifle, but I blew all my fun money for a little while at Simpsons.

Just as well since I can't decide whether I want a savage or ruger rifle. If I get the savage, I want the wood stock. I am still in the air on it.

Otherwise, I would go just to have a good time. I actually like the Jamil show. It is everything I expect out of a gun show, including the bad.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
d16,

That pup sure is cute.

My family has had a little Yorkie pup since May.

I would post a pic, but everything seems to big to attach.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I just purchased two build components on sale at Primary Arms and with three bucks shipping the total was $29.

No way can a gun show compete with those prices.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just purchased two build components on sale at Primary Arms and with three bucks shipping the total was $29.

No way can a gun show compete with those prices.
View Quote
Ain't Dat Da truth! And fast shipping too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I need some dental picks for cleaning. Also, there's a merchant that sells S&B primers for $19-21 a box. I don't like to pay shipping or HazMat, so that's a good price to me.
View Quote
You can purchase "dental picks" from Harbor Freight Tools. However, the primers would be a good deal even with door admission.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I would like to go to the SCACA show in Lake City in December.  Partially because of the chance to have BBQ lunch in Scranton and partially because I want to see the restoration/renovation work done on the ROB Center. I also want to go to the "Bean Market" and see the renovation-restoration work done there. Lot of history in that building. It used to be a HUGE product market exchange center between growers in the south and produce buyers in the North.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like to go to the SCACA show in Lake City in December.  Partially because of the chance to have BBQ lunch in Scranton
View Quote
Mmmm, Schoolhouse Bbq...
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody make it by there?  I drove by this afternoon on 26 (eastbound luckily as westbound was inexplicably crawling despite there being no reason for it) and it didn't look too crowded.  I considered stopping but I'd been bush hogging this morning at my buddy's and was pretty foul.  Yeah, I know, but I didn't want to blend in.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Much smaller crowd than normal for a Saturday. Jamil must have a new a/c system, because it was actually quite comfortable in there today.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Here now. Not crowded at all. But i now remember why i stopped coming to these. Its a damned flea market.

Primers going for no less than $30/box.
No CFE BLK.
No dental picks so far.

Plenty of used CDs/DVDs
Fidget spinners.
That one guy who brings 1000 paperback books.
Bulk pack .22lr repackaged and sold by the baggie.
Ponti's favorite - the John Birch society

If i had spent the entry fee on scratchoffs, it would have given me more entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit. Someone's selling cans of mixed ammo for $5.00. Theres actually several different calibers in the small canisters. Not even the same caliber. Obviously unfired range pickups.

I have also seen paracord yeti cup handles.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, I went this morning- no need to go for another ten years or so.  Saw a couple of nice S&W revolvers but nothing in my prices range.  It looked like mostly the same folks with the same overpriced stuff from the last one I went to years ago.  It was funny seeing some of the prices on PSA parts- you could drive across the highway and buy the stuff cheaper.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep, I went this morning- no need to go for another ten years or so.  Saw a couple of nice S&W revolvers but nothing in my prices range.  It looked like mostly the same folks with the same overpriced stuff from the last one I went to years ago.  It was funny seeing some of the prices on PSA parts- you could drive across the highway and buy the stuff cheaper.  
View Quote
And I did!

Got a call from Gunman53 asking me if I wanted to ride with him. He even paid my door admission!

I didn't see shit to buy.

Two people with two different baby strollers did a great job blocking the aisles.

The knife sharpener guy was there AGAIN. Instantly blew him off.

No S & B primers (I did buy 1K of Tula small pistol primers from GA Arms).

The default free square on the Bingo card should have been "Hilariously Overpriced Shit".  The least expensive decent stripped lowers (Anderson open ear) were priced at $52 and that was only one dealer.

We got there at 10:30am and it was somewhat quiet but by the time we left around noon the place was crowded and the AC wasn't enough to cool the place down. Fortunately I did not have any respiratory issues like I did three years ago.

We went across the street to PSA and I bought some build components TAX FREE
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
On Saturday I bought a new Mossberg Shockwave from Upstate Armory Group for $359.00 and then found a really nice S&W 3rd gen Model 908 in box for $300.00 from one of the exhibitors (private sale). I was very pleased since both were good deals, especially the S&W. Looking forward to trying out the Shockwave next weekend. UAG also had the Remington version of the Shockwave for $359.00, but I decided to go with the Mossberg due to the extra round capacity.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Guess I will chime in too. I went on Saturday and was greatly underwhelmed. All I bought was a small bulk pack of cleaning patches from GA Arms. I was sorely tempted to buy one or two of the C Products Defense Stainless Steel 30 rd mags that Defender Guns and Range was blowing out for 8 bucks. But then common sense and the knowledge that I am almost swimming in 30 rounders stopped me. Good deals could be had if you were in the market for new self defense pistols. The SIG Guy didn't have the P227 model I was looking for, so no joy there. A lot of table real estate was being taken up by people selling big targets, flags, and closeout, (or knock off?) Blackhawk clothing.  Still lots of scattered and tattered old stock ammo with laughable price stickers on it. A lot of the guys price high expecting you to dicker on the price. Why dicker when you can buy newer for cheaper across the Highway at Sportsman's or PSA. Then there were still the guys selling the collectable firearms at prices I can't afford or Justify.

A couple of the good guys who used to buy and sell there are no longer around. I did run into a old gunsmith friend there that I hadn't seen in a long time, who seems to be doing well.

Well, the Greenville SCACA Show is next weekend. Who's going?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Not me.

The only reason I bought that box of Tula primers ($23 incl. tax) was because having gotten in free I was ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Holy shit. Someone's selling cans of mixed ammo for $5.00. Theres actually several different calibers in the small canisters. Not even the same caliber. Obviously unfired range pickups.
View Quote
Pretty sure I saw those, too.

Don't forget to mention the Chinese MBUS knock-off sets for $30

I was so disappointed I couldn't even muster up a fart.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here now. Not crowded at all. But i now remember why i stopped coming to these. Its a damned flea market.

Primers going for no less than $30/box.
No CFE BLK.
No dental picks so far.

Plenty of used CDs/DVDs
Fidget spinners.
That one guy who brings 1000 paperback books.
Bulk pack .22lr repackaged and sold by the baggie.
Ponti's favorite - the John Birch society

If i had spent the entry fee on scratchoffs, it would have given me more entertainment.
View Quote
Fidget Spinners have jumped the shark.

That JBS table needs to be shown the door. Permanently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top