Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2016 10:33:52 AM EDT
Hi All,

I'm considering a move to Delaware in the next couple years. Here is my situation: I am originally from Maryland (I'm not living there now but I plan on going back there soon) and my parents live in Maryland.  They are getting to the age of retirement and want to move to Delaware because my aunt has a house there in Fenwick Island. I absolutely love Delaware--I spent all my summers in DE as a kid and I'm very close to my family so I want to be near them.  

So I am considering, purchasing land in Sussex County, up to 5 acres or more, and I want to build a house there ( or manufactured home) and maybe have room for my sister to build a house there if she wants for a summer home.  I am looking into Sussex County because I need the land to be within a half hour ride to Fenwick Island because that is where my parents will likely be living. I always planned on having a house in DE so I figure why not make sure it's inclusive of my favorite hobby: shooting!

My questions are:

1) Do you think there would be a problem firing guns in Sussex County? I am thinking Frankord, Roxana, Dagsboro (maybe Milsoboro)
2) Does it seem normal-isa for people to shoot guns in that area? Is hunting allowed there? I don't hunt but I assume if people do then a few extra shots shouldn't be worrisome
3) Does anyone have any experience with plinking on their own property in that area?

Thanks for any help! And would only practice safe shooting (i.e. build a bern, safe/legal distance from roads and buildings, etc)

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to Dove tail into this conversation. I'm retired and the wife unit doesn't want to move to SC where I'm free.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have enough land there would be no issue shooting on your own land. I'm closer to central Delaware in Townsend. People shoot on their property around here all the time. In fact, I need to make friends with someone around here who has property.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
And when you want to do serious shooting, you have Bridgeville. I think it goes out to 600 or 700 yards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
We'd shoot on the 150 acre family farm in Greenwood with no repercussions at all, and that's with multiple AR's going at once, .50 cal, and tannerite in the mix.  Family farm is now sold...

5 acres is not much at all to shoot on.  You're not likely to have neighbors that appreciate you shooting towards their property from a 5 acre parcel, I don't care what kind of backstop you manufacture.  I'm not sure what the legal limit is, but be sure to check into it if you're serious.  Like the other guys said, you're better off getting a membership to Bridgeville and avoid the hassle.  That's what I've done since I lost access to the farm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
ive shot on farms in sussex, no issue

remember 1/2 from fenwick is still beachy area.  you will have all kinds of tourists in the summer and expect complaints

also, if there is an hoa, some forbid even bb guns and paintball guns on your property (sisters is like this and shes in the area you are looking at)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top