Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice scenery. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I love it down in the Winds!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I spent 5 days during and after the Eclipse hiking in the Winds with a bunch of college kids. The unspoiled, pristine wilderness was breathtaking. We were hiking in the reservation part of the mountains (permits and all) and the whole time saw only 4 other groups (including 4 guys on horseback). Really rugged beauty. Nothing to compare it to and I've been in the Alps and Appalachians. Didn't see any big critters the whole time. Then, half a mile from our vehicles we came across fresh bear and mountain lion tracks in the soft sand.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spent 5 days during and after the Eclipse hiking in the Winds with a bunch of college kids. The unspoiled, pristine wilderness was breathtaking. We were hiking in the reservation part of the mountains (permits and all) and the whole time saw only 4 other groups (including 4 guys on horseback). Really rugged beauty. Nothing to compare it to and I've been in the Alps and Appalachians. Didn't see any big critters the whole time. Then, half a mile from our vehicles we came across fresh bear and mountain lion tracks in the soft sand.
View Quote
Reservation is some of the wildest country in the lower forty eight. Trail maintenance and signage is not up to Forest Service standards. This is a good thing. Access roads, like St. Lawrence Basin and Cold Springs, are problematic, not much maintenance.
Great fishing up there, too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
We got to St. Lawrence station at 10pm the first night, pitched a tent and then did an 'alpine start' the next morning around 4am - break camp, quick breakfast, pack up and start walking in towards the Meadows so as to get to Antigo pass by the time of the eclipse.

Raft lake - a real beach...real sand.... awesome. Some other lakes with natural quartz and granite spill ways.... incredible. It was just breathtaking each day. But it was also humbling as I was the oldest guy (by far)...old enough to be the college kids' father.... so my brain said "I can do this" but my body was red lining it every day. Easily the most exhausting and yet weirdly refreshing 5 days in my life..at least in the past 15 years as I used to live a fairly energetic youth and 20s.

I hope to go again when I'm 15-20 lbs lighter and have more stamina....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top