Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2017 3:44:11 PM EDT
This question is almost too broad, but here goes!

Where is a good place to learn more about Wyoming?  I really like the small part of the state I've seen and am thinking of it as a vacation spot or even as a place for redeclaring residency.  I will return soon (2-3 months from now) to scout around some more and am thinking of buying some land.  I'd begin with a simple trailer and pole building and eventually putting up a small house or a garage home for myself.

So where do I go to learn more about the counties?  What's in each county/the feel of each county?  Crime levels?  Common topography and layout in different places?  I'm a high desert fan (Sparks556's first photos on page 7 of your photo thread and guns762's spring photos farther down look great).  Any words of wisdom for what part of the state has what?

I've been told different parts of the state get more or less snow and that there's a "transition zone" between high desert and pines.  Any words of wisdom as to where what's located?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This question is almost too broad, but here goes!

Where is a good place to learn more about Wyoming?  I really like the small part of the state I've seen and am thinking of it as a vacation spot or even as a place for redeclaring residency.  I will return soon (2-3 months from now) to scout around some more and am thinking of buying some land.  I'd begin with a simple trailer and pole building and eventually putting up a small house or a garage home for myself.

So where do I go to learn more about the counties?  What's in each county/the feel of each county?  Crime levels?  Common topography and layout in different places?  I'm a high desert fan (Sparks556's first photos on page 7 of your photo thread and guns762's spring photos farther down look great).  Any words of wisdom for what part of the state has what?

I've been told different parts of the state get more or less snow and that there's a "transition zone" between high desert and pines.  Any words of wisdom as to where what's located?

Thanks,

Mike
View Quote

Do you have any plans to work?
Do you lake fish or prefer river/creek fishing?
Do you have any medical needs that require frequent Dr's visit?
I have family in Carbon, Albany, Laramie and Fremont county's, I'm going to Fremont county outside of Lander is a few years. Already have a house and plan to start building a shop next summer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have any plans to work?
Do you lake fish or prefer river/creek fishing?
Do you have any medical needs that require frequent Dr's visit?
I have family in Carbon, Albany, Laramie and Fremont county's, I'm going to Fremont county outside of Lander is a few years. Already have a house and plan to start building a shop next summer.
View Quote
Work:  I view this as a vacation home.  My work can be done from anywhere, so going permanent only means that I need an Internet connection and phone.  

Fishing:  I don't fish.  Some guests might, but it's less important.

Doc:  Nothing frequent, but sometimes I do need a doc.  A couple hours drive is reasonable when I need one.

Perhaps a long drive and running all over the state is in order..?  I like the idea of a shop- I'd probably look into a garage apartment style setup assuming it meets code and wind needs out there.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Work:  I view this as a vacation home.  My work can be done from anywhere, so going permanent only means that I need an Internet connection and phone.  

Doc:  Nothing frequent, but sometimes I do need a doc.  A couple hours drive is reasonable when I need one.

Perhaps a long drive and running all over the state is in order..?  I like the idea of a shop- I'd probably look into a garage apartment style setup assuming it meets code and wind needs out there.

Thank you!
View Quote
Internet service for transfer larger amount of data can be problematic, it'd be advisable to see what's available.

Spend some time driving around the state, I'd suggest areas that are fairly close to the mtn ranges. The closer you are to Jackson and Cody the cost goes up.

Building codes are pretty loose so there's no worry there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Internet service for transfer larger amount of data can be problematic, it'd be advisable to see what's available.

Spend some time driving around the state, I'd suggest areas that are fairly close to the mtn ranges. The closer you are to Jackson and Cody the cost goes up.

Building codes are pretty loose so there's no worry there.
View Quote
Thank you.  I'll definitely look into the connection speeds.  Great news on the building codes though!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View Quote
If you end up in Park County, you're 90-120 minutes from Billings, MT and they have medical services that are better than anything in WY.

I moved from WI almost 11 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you end up in Park County, you're 90-120 minutes from Billings, MT and they have medical services that are better than anything in WY.

View Quote
Thank you!  I'll definitely look into Park County.  Looks like it's the far NW corner of WY.

Where in WI did you come from?  I'm in Milwaukee County but about to buy something next door in Waukesha County.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you!  I'll definitely look into Park County.  Looks like it's the far NW corner of WY.

Where in WI did you come from?  I'm in Milwaukee County but about to buy something next door in Waukesha County.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM sent
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
In your original post you mentioned returning in 2-3 months. You might have a better feel for the weather around Wyoming during that time. We'll probably get our first decent snow in SE wyoming in October, and from then until about May timeframe we'll have snow storms and cold temps. If you plan to be driving around the state during winter months, make sure you carry extra water, food, warm clothes, and maybe a warm sleeping bag or blankets. Be sure to check the http://www.wyoroad.info web page before setting out for road conditions and closers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In your original post you mentioned returning in 2-3 months. You might have a better feel for the weather around Wyoming during that time. We'll probably get our first decent snow in SE wyoming in October, and from then until about May timeframe we'll have snow storms and cold temps. If you plan to be driving around the state during winter months, make sure you carry extra water, food, warm clothes, and maybe a warm sleeping bag or blankets. Be sure to check the http://www.wyoroad.info web page before setting out for road conditions and closers.
View Quote
Thank you.  I am purposefully coming during that time to learn more about what I'm getting myself into with your winters.  It'd be dumb of me to come in July, claim that WY is absolutely wonderful, and then base my decisions off of that.  I'd like to weigh things when they're not all roses and sun shine.  Those are also great packing suggestions- I will definitely pack the car to be prepared for what could come.

That web site is awesome!  Not only will I keep it up when I visit, but it looks like I found a new place to waste time when I get bored.    Thank you so very much!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top