Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2017 7:08:46 PM EDT
Traveling west of Cheyanne for a business/fun trip, for a few days next week.  Will it be worth it to bring one of my Ar's and a suppressor?  I would like to shoot some prairie dogs if I can.  Will I need a hunting permit or anything if hunting them on private property.  Or if there is anything else fun to shoot at or hunt relatively easy while I am out there. Thanks guys

*UPDATE*

I did take the suppressor and AR.  It was definitely well worth it.. I will take it out there again, so I will be back.  Thanks to all of you for the info, the state was amazing.  I will be going back very soon.  Got to see alot of terrain  and wild life I have never seen before.  Next time I will take my skis along and sneak up to a snow capped and ski in the summer haha .  No coyotes did hear a few and saw a young one leaving the house area very quickly one night. I did how ever get to shoot some prairie dogs alot in a short period of time, I have to say it was almost as much fun to miss as it was to hit them. I don't know if I just loved it that much out there, or if it was the vastness but the suppressor was NOTICEABLY QUITTER.

My weekend ride
0703171248 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

Gun of choice
0703171250 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
0703171218a by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

Packed away for transport
0630172342 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
0630172343 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
0630172344 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

Early morning coyote hunt
0703170555a by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
0703170555 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

And the fun of prairie dog
0703171242 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
0703171247 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
0703171254 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't want to hassle with the ATF paperwork for just a few days of travel.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No permit needed for Prairie Rats. I would leave the suppressor at home and just bring ear plugs. A Garmin with landowner overlays will be helpful.... Ranchers out west have little patience for trespassers. Make sure your vehicle is in good shape, be prepared to travel to BFE where you will be 80-120 miles from gas or help. Carry an emergency kit, including water, first aid, etc. 
View Quote
Thanks man I really do appreciate all the info.. I will be with a native and the land owner.  So I will be hanging close with him, but I will keep all that info in mind.  

Many coyotes out there .. anything needed to shoot at them?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again I really appreciate the info.  Driving out tomorrow night .. hopeful to have a good holiday weekend.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
No paper work required for silencers.  Only required for SBRs, SBSs and MGs
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE IN OP
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a fun trip!  Me and the wife love WY.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad you had a great time.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glad you had a great time.  
View Quote
Had the best time thanks ..  already trying to figure out another trip back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
AOWs and Suppressors are exempt from 5320.20 requirements.  

(Here because I'm looking to learn about WY too.)  

Mike
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

AOWs and Suppressors are exempt from 5320.20 requirements.  

(Here because I'm looking to learn about WY too.)  

Mike
View Quote
I had zero trouble traveling with the everything, I knew I was legally covered to travel and all that, I just didn't want to be put in a place of being guilty until proven innocent.  How ever I did stay out of Illinois coming back, just because I had about 10 more guns in the vehicle with me then (helping a friend move).

As for going to WY it was so worth it (even the 55 hours on the road over the 4th weekend).  If you have any outsider traveling to WY questions ill try to answer.  But everyone here answered my questions fast and perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top