Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2017 7:16:58 AM EDT
Tourism question, just curious if anybody has actually gone there sight seeing via the BLM's established route, Natrona county 105?

1. How difficult for an average SUV or is a really high clearance 4WD vehicle necessary?  (e.g. can I make it in a rented Grand Cherokee?)

2. How hard was the hike on the trail at the end of the rut road?

I know there are a gazillion more places that are more scenic in that part of the world, but it is a historical curiosity that makes me want to swing down that way and see if I can get there.  Butch and Sundance made it but they had good horses.

I cannot make the date for the annual tour they organize that departs from Kaycee.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a little rough (especially if it's muddy/wet) but if dry should be doable as long as you drive slow... and smart. As for the hike itself, it's probably around two miles of flat and rolling terrain. The trail is pretty well marked as well. Went there in late March of this year and can honestly say it's really not that spectacular. Is it worth doing? Yes, but just be warned that it may not be what you're expecting. Really just red rock and sagebrush...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, I will keep an eye on the weather and how dry it is at the time.....I know the scenery is really elsewhere, but still wanna go
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Outlaw Canyon while you're there. It's some spectacular scenery IMHO. Then you can take the Outlaw Cave trail down to the Middle Fork of the Powder River. The trail is quite steep. You can easily make it up the road in an SUV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top