Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 6:34:09 AM EDT
I'm looking at the statistics of the pan handle area and it isn't making sense to me.
Real estate values, household incomes, ethnicities, crime rate, political views, bald eagles...

What's up with more than half the kids on free government school lunch programs?
It doesn't jive with the other statistics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the statistics of the pan handle area and it isn't making sense to me.
Real estate values, household incomes, ethnicities, crime rate, political views, bald eagles...

What's up with more than half the kids on free government school lunch programs?
It doesn't jive with the other statistics.
View Quote
It's a rural area where most of the jobs used to be things like mining and timber and those have dried up.  Lots of poverty left. Maybe not terrible poverty, but enough to get people on subsidized school lunch programs. 

While there are plenty of rich people about, a lot of them don't have school age kids.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, that makes sense.

The unemployment rate seems low though.

At first I thought maybe it was the schools pushing for government funding and promoting free lunch programs.
Abusing the system.

If I understand the system correctly a parent would need to earn less than $20,000 a year to qualify and at 50%
Of the students it seams that poverty is higher than the statistics indicate. Maybe no middle class in this area.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, that makes sense.

The unemployment rate seems low though.

At first I thought maybe it was the schools pushing for government funding and promoting free lunch programs.
Abusing the system.

If I understand the system correctly a parent would need to earn less than $20,000 a year to qualify and at 50%
Of the students it seams that poverty is higher than the statistics indicate. Maybe no middle class in this area.
View Quote
In my experience, no, not a lot of middle class. Though I think you can earn more than that number to be qualified for reduced cost lunches.  But I'm not sure. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top