Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 11:20:53 PM EDT
Cut and pasted from another website.  forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/7621043/m/199109434

June 3, 2005

Wal-Mart Canada Inc.
1940 Argentia Road
Mississauga, Ontario
L5N 1P9

Dear Sirs:

I am writing in regards to an incident that occurred last evening, June 2, 2005 at your Wal-Mart located at 35 Molson Park Drive, Barrie, Ontario, L4N 9H5.

I took a disposable camera in to be developed at approximately 7:00 pm and was told that they were running a little late and that it would take approximately an hour and a half and to come back at about 8:40 pm.

I decided to do a little shopping and grab a bite to eat. When I returned to the store at 8:30 pm, the cashier advised me that the pictures were not ready and it would be about 5 minutes and to take a seat. She then excused herself saying she had to use the restroom and before I could take my seat she had returned with a police officer in tow, along with the assistant manager Mr. Francis Manning.

You cannot imagine the surprise, embarrassment and humiliation I felt, being detained for almost an hour by the police, as I was not provided the anonymity of a private location while being questioned as to the contents of the film by the police officer. I did not realize that it was a crime to pick up film, and I am thankful only for the fact that my daughter was not with me.

On the film were pictures of 12 handguns, a photo of my place of residence and pictures of two of my children. After getting in touch with my husband for his required PAL number (Possession Acquisition Licence) which allows him to own the handguns, giving the information to the police officer, and after my husband speaking with the officer, a check was done which confirmed all the handguns were registered.

In the process of trying to reach my husband, Mr. Manning told me that if I had informed him as to what was on the film and provided him with the number (I assumed he was referring to the PAL number) there would not have been a problem.

I asked Mr. Manning when it became policy for Wal-Mart to contact the police when pictures of firearms were taken, as I have developed many photos of a similar nature in the past at the same location without any incident.

Upon my return home, my husband called the police department to verify that all information given would be strictly confidential, as an PAL number is a very personal piece of identification.

The following day, June 3, 2005, my husband contacted Wal-Mart Molson Park Drive and asked Mr. Manning if it was store policy that the police are called whenever a firearm is involved in a picture. His replied in an arrogant manner that it was not store policy, but that it was his personal agenda to call police whenever a gun appears in a picture.

My husband advised Mr. Manning that he would be letting all his hunting friends and all the gun clubs he belongs to know, that if they take their films to Wal-Mart Molson Park Drive for developing to make sure they have their PAL’s with them so as not to cause the unnecessary embarrassment and humility that I went through. Mr. Manning suggested that, that would be a good idea, he also advised my husband that he should also inform the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters and any other Firearms publications about HIS policy.

So I am now informing you that I have done just that. I have informed all of the friends my husband hunts with as well as the following clubs and publications:

Canadian Access to Firearms;
Canadian Shooters Rights (Edward L. Burlew, LL.B);
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters;
National Rifle Association;
Ontario Rifle Association;
Alliston District Sportsman’s Club;
Base Borden Rod and Gun Club;
Elwood Epp’s Hunting and Sports Store; and
The Wolf’s Den Hunting and Sports Store.

As a company that sells ammunition and hunting gear, I would like to suggest that if it is your company’s policy, or if it is the individual store policy, it should be posted as to not cause embarrassment or humiliation to any other customers as it was to me.

Sincerely,

R W
Cookstown, Ontario

Cc Wal-Mart Canada Inc.
35 Molson Park Drive
Barrie, Ontario L4N 9H5
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top