Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks fantastic! I've only had dove once, but it was really good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks fantastic! I've only had dove once, but it was really good.
View Quote
I could live off them!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First house was 3 acres and an HOA (which I don't want) new place is A LOT more money but 40 acres and nicer house....and no HOA!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, we are definitely moving mid July.  Victor Montana.  Lots more land than the cluster fuck of the first house.

ETA and now I have 2 Marines helping me move out there.

Dang that's too bad that you had to switch so late in the game, especially with the "appreciation" of real estate from last year to this year in western MT. Sellers being shady is something that's hard to overlook though, especially on something as critical as water (a well). We got a similar vibe from the 1st home we put an offer on down towards Kila.

Wife and I are supposed to be closing in mid June on a place with mountain views on the west side of the Flathead Valley. House in MN is sold and pending an early June closing. Our buyer agreed to a "rentback" for up to 60 days in order to allow us time to A) find a home ~1200 miles away and B) get all our $hit out there. I want to get on the road the day we sign the paperwork on the new one. Without any stupid delays we should be out and settled before 4th of July.

I don't have any marines helping me though but I do have myself  (infantry vet) an infantry friend and my combat engineer brother.
First house was 3 acres and an HOA (which I don't want) new place is A LOT more money but 40 acres and nicer house....and no HOA!!

If you need an extra hand with heavy stuff like gun safes or whatever, shoot me a PM. Happy to help for some hunting access to that 40 acres. On the west side of the valley you'll have lots of white tails. All I have are muleys and you need a special tag.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get stuck near Billings, hit me up.

I left Jacksonville in 2015 for Texas.  Everything was gone, and I was sitting in an empty house in a camping chair with an air mattress, two dogs, a cat, a laptop, and all of my guns and ammo.    Like a dragon and its horde of gold.

Woke up at 3 am the morning that I was supposed to leave (had my alarm set for 5 or something), said fuck it, and loaded up the truck.  Whatever route that my phone took me down that morning was more rural than expected, but I got to watch the sun rise in my rearview mirror.  

What squadron were you with?  PM me if you want.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you get stuck near Billings, hit me up.

I left Jacksonville in 2015 for Texas.  Everything was gone, and I was sitting in an empty house in a camping chair with an air mattress, two dogs, a cat, a laptop, and all of my guns and ammo.    Like a dragon and its horde of gold.

Woke up at 3 am the morning that I was supposed to leave (had my alarm set for 5 or something), said fuck it, and loaded up the truck.  Whatever route that my phone took me down that morning was more rural than expected, but I got to watch the sun rise in my rearview mirror.  

What squadron were you with?  PM me if you want.
View Quote
Was in a bunch of squadrons over 28 years.  Last one before a staff job was HMLA-467.  Prior to that was F-18s.

ETA I was I Level before I made WO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you need an extra hand with heavy stuff like gun safes or whatever, shoot me a PM. Happy to help for some hunting access to that 40 acres. On the west side of the valley you'll have lots of white tails. All I have are muleys and you need a special tag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, we are definitely moving mid July.  Victor Montana.  Lots more land than the cluster fuck of the first house.

ETA and now I have 2 Marines helping me move out there.

Dang that's too bad that you had to switch so late in the game, especially with the "appreciation" of real estate from last year to this year in western MT. Sellers being shady is something that's hard to overlook though, especially on something as critical as water (a well). We got a similar vibe from the 1st home we put an offer on down towards Kila.

Wife and I are supposed to be closing in mid June on a place with mountain views on the west side of the Flathead Valley. House in MN is sold and pending an early June closing. Our buyer agreed to a "rentback" for up to 60 days in order to allow us time to A) find a home ~1200 miles away and B) get all our $hit out there. I want to get on the road the day we sign the paperwork on the new one. Without any stupid delays we should be out and settled before 4th of July.

I don't have any marines helping me though but I do have myself  (infantry vet) an infantry friend and my combat engineer brother.

Right on
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some big mulies come out of the Eastside.

Depending where the OP is, he might get some moose and elk along with those WTs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Depending where the OP is, he might get some moose and elk along with those WTs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking forward to it for sure!  I am going back to North Carolina for 1 month a year.  For fishing, to see friends, and we have an annual party celebrating my MOS's birthday.  My buddies will definitely be coming out to Montana for hunting!  I can't wait to kill a deer that is bigger than my dog!
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Ammo is loaded.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably would have made a layer one or two cans high. More stable, and you’re not gonna hurt them by stacking stuff on top of them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#13]

That’ll do.

I had a bit less than you and hauled it in my 5X9 dual axle trailer. I figure I was towing about 4500LB for 1100 miles with a 3rd gen Tacoma. Averaged 14.6 MPG over that distance, though I only built the sides to be just above the height of the truck bed for better aerodynamics.

We’re settling in well here. Just hauled 5 new appliances home today and we’re making progress getting through boxes.

You’re going to love it here!
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
You'll fit right in here in the Bitterroots!
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Leaving tomorrow at 1000.  Took 4 of us to put the safe in the truck at great risk I might add!

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#16]
See y'all in a few days!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Safe travels!
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Safe travels!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe travels!

...and make sure to steer well clear of ban states on your way
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe travels!

None on our planned route thankfully.

We are in West Virginia tonight.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe travels!

You driving a uhaul by any chance? How are the tires?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm towing my boat with a 2500 Mega Cab diesel, wife is driving her Grand Cherokee, and my buddy is driving my U-Haul.  Only has 8,000 miles on it.  And it goes 80 mph which is unbelievable.

One great Dane and my mini schnauzer in my truck, one great Dane and my two cats in the wife's Jeep.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm towing my boat with a 2500 Mega Cab diesel, wife is driving her Grand Cherokee, and my buddy is driving my U-Haul.  Only has 8,000 miles on it.  And it goes 80 mph which is unbelievable.

One great Dane and my mini schnauzer in my truck, one great Dane and my two cats in the wife's Jeep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious advice for you - and I sincerely hope it's not needed. If you see some clouds that look downright menacing or you keep a tab on the weather forecast and hail warning/watch happens? Get your truck/trailer/U-Haul under an overpass if you possibly can.  Thankfully sight lines are long enough here that many times you can see the hail falling in the distance.

Way back when I first moved here I got to experience some really gnarly weather and it totalled two vehicles. Golf ball sized hail makes quite the racket at 80MPH.

Then years after that I was helping a friend move. An April blizzard turned the 12 hour trip into a 28 hour marathon of a drive.

Ah - Montana! You really will love it here.

Safe travels.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Serious advice for you - and I sincerely hope it's not needed. If you see some clouds that look downright menacing or you keep a tab on the weather forecast and hail warning/watch happens? Get your truck/trailer/U-Haul under an overpass if you possibly can.  Thankfully sight lines are long enough here that many times you can see the hail falling in the distance.

Way back when I first moved here I got to experience some really gnarly weather and it totalled two vehicles. Golf ball sized hail makes quite the racket at 80MPH.

Then years after that I was helping a friend move. An April blizzard turned the 12 hour trip into a 28 hour marathon of a drive.

Safe travels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe travels.
Roger!!!

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Roger!!!

View Quote

Not too different of a caravan than I had a few weeks back (we arrived in the Flathead July 2nd). Ours was a 26' Budget moving truck, my Tacoma hauling a 5x9 dual axle trailer and my wife's Highlander with a 2" receiver mounted carrier rack. The moving truck carried 2 people, I had a passenger and one dog, wife had a passenger, our toddler and 2 dogs.

The moving truck got around 9mpg (diesel). My truck got 14.6mpg with a 4500LB trailer and light load in the bed (I was thoroughly impressed) and my wife got a decent 26.9mpg with hers loaded down fairly well.

Our trip was only ~1200 miles and 19 hours though so I wish you the best of luck in your longer journey. Keep your head down and try not to get car jacked in Minneapolis if you travel through that shithole.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Safe travels and keep an eye on the weather.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, cool. You got lucky with such a new Uhaul. I only ask because I've found out through experience Uhaul does not replace tires until they literally blow. A few years ago I rented a trailer and after we had it loaded, I realized one of the tires had a bulge in the sidewall. We were going on a 600 mile trip with it through a lot of areas with no cell service. So I took it back to the Uhaul place to get them to replace the tire. Turns out they don't do that there. They had to call a tire shop to come out and replace it. It took a lot of belly aching to get them to even do that since it hadn't yet "blown" and I actually personally knew the guy I was dealing with.

A year or two later, a buddy of mine was towing a vehicle up to Alaska on a Uhaul car hauler. I warned him about the tire issues. The trailer had some bad tires on it so he tried to get Uhaul to replace them before the trip but couldn't get them to since they hadn't blown yet. He ended up getting like 4 flats on the trip. The reason was the guy they sent out to replace the blowouts only had used tires to use as replacements!
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TX is not suitable for human habitation from a climate standpoint in spite of those who happen to inhabit this area. Either mental illness, or Stockholm Syndrome is necessary to enjoy living in TX.
View Quote

Don't hold back - how do you really feel?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't hold back - how do you really feel?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Got to Baker last night.  Trip was not terrible.  Leaving for Victor Saturday.  

I'm tired!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm tired!!
View Quote

Wow, you're making good time!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Enjoy the brown grass and dirt while you're on this side of the state.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm tired!!

At my MIL's house.  Some friends of ours are coming over tonight that I haven't seen in a long time.  BEERS!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At my MIL's house.  Some friends of ours are coming over tonight that I haven't seen in a long time.  BEERS!!!
View Quote

What route you taking from here on?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm tired!!

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.  Whichever way my MIL goes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd avoid I-90 through Billings, Bozeman and Butte if I were you. There's a couple higher passes through there, though the drive is beautiful past Billings.

There's only one major pass on the west side of Helena if you go that route.

There may be a better way in that someone else can chime in on.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd avoid I-90 through Billings, Bozeman and Butte if I were you. There's a couple higher passes through there, though the drive is beautiful past Billings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Right on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on

He's not kidding about avoiding those. Forget about the passes - the traffic is insane. Some times of day through/around Billings honestly reminds me of the Denver area now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't let the GPS guide you through the Big Hole.  The 43 is closed due to a fire.  Don't be shocked by the smoke in the valley when you get here.  It is a typical summer thing.  It is still Heaven on Earth!

https://roadreport.mdt.mt.gov/travinfomobile/

The above link will show road conditions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't let the GPS guide you through the Big Hole.  The 43 is closed due to a fire.  Don't be shocked by the smoke in the valley when you get here.  It is a typical summer thing.  It is still Heaven on Earth!

https://roadreport.mdt.mt.gov/travinfomobile/

The above link will show road conditions.
View Quote

To be fair, the smoke came about a month early.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#46]
The smoke should clear out in 3 months or so. The first thing OP needs to do is make evacuation plans to cover any fire event that pops up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Being from Helena, I avoid those as well when I am out that way. That I-90 through Bozeman is getting to be wreck alley. Heck, my parents avoid it and they live in Belgrade.

Alternate Route.  You are on US-12 already.  Take that to I-90, down to Forsythe, then pick up US-12 there.  You can follow that all the way across, through Helena, and over MacDonald Pass to I-90 at Garrison.  You will  have a grade and slower drive through Deep Creek (east of Townsend), but it is a good road overall.  I do that drive a bit towing my RV. The alternates are great, just be careful on the fuel stops to not run low in the middle. Especially if the wind picks up.

Alternate Alternate.  Take I-90 through Billings and almost to Livingston, picking up US-89 North which will T into US-12 then head West.

ETA: Get the MT DOT App for your phone.  That will give you road condition information including construction. Can be a big help.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#48]
All good advice. But something that's been left out so far: Whatever you do, DON'T take Skalkaho Pass. It may appear to be a shorter route when coming from the East, but it's not and you'll regret it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The smoke should clear out in 3 months or so. The first thing OP needs to do is make evacuation plans to cover any fire event that pops up.
View Quote
Family was over yesterday and a few had to leave in a hurry because of fires in their fields.  I assume they had to move some of the cows to a safer area.

Traded hurricanes for fires.  Oh well, there is something bad everywhere in the country.  It's a fair trade for me.

We are leaving in a couple hours for Victor.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Being from Helena, I avoid those as well when I am out that way. That I-90 through Bozeman is getting to be wreck alley. Heck, my parents avoid it and they live in Belgrade.

Alternate Route.  You are on US-12 already.  Take that to I-90, down to Forsythe, then pick up US-12 there.  You can follow that all the way across, through Helena, and over MacDonald Pass to I-90 at Garrison.  You will  have a grade and slower drive through Deep Creek (east of Townsend), but it is a good road overall.  I do that drive a bit towing my RV. The alternates are great, just be careful on the fuel stops to not run low in the middle. Especially if the wind picks up.

Alternate Alternate.  Take I-90 through Billings and almost to Livingston, picking up US-89 North which will T into US-12 then head West.

ETA: Get the MT DOT App for your phone.  That will give you road condition information including construction. Can be a big help.
View Quote
Thanks
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top