Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ummmmm...did this bill just get...better?

@Country Were all these amendments what we wanted?

https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/AmdPublicWeb/HB0258.001.005.pdf

Link to text as finally amended in the Senate.
View Quote

I believe this version is unmolested from when it passed the house. I believe it is heading over to Gianforte's desk and he plans to sign it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I believe this version is unmolested from when it passed the house. I believe it is heading over to Gianforte's desk and he plans to sign it.
View Quote
Well, it's better than the original version that I saw, for certain. As long as it becomes a law, I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. They struck through the parts excluding NFA items along with felony prohibition and clarifying that State LE may not help in any way/shape/form with the feds.

Quoted:
Dear MSSA Friends,
Super good news. HB 258 has been approved by the Senate on Third Reading by the expected vote of 30-20. For anyone who may have been gone on an extended vacation, HB 258 is MSSA's popular bill to prohibit state and local government employees from enforcing any new federal gun control laws, executive orders, rules or regulations.
HB 258 will now go to Governor Gianforte for his signature. He is expected to sign the bill.

I recommend that you send the Governor a message thanking him in advance for signing HB 258. The best way to message the Governor is via:
https://svc.mt.gov/gov/contact/shareopinion

Just FYI, HB 258 has an immediate effective date, so it will be effective as soon as the Governor signs it.

We're still working on HB 436, HB 405, SB 283, and SB 370. Stay tuned for a follow up on those. Meanwhile, the Legislature is about to recess later today for the Easter break. They will be back on Tuesday.

Best wishes,
--
Gary Marbut, President
Montana Shooting Sports Association

Easy to click link:

ETA: Here's what I sent him.

Governor Gianforte

I give my wholehearted support to your signing HB 258. Montana's Congress has lobbed you a soft ball and the State's people are cheering you on. Knock it out of the park for us!

Can't help myself. I'm excited!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Shhh...not so loud.  There's some other things I'm excited about due to how it's worded.

the LAWS page shows it as being returned to the House. Not sure if Gary is right, or if there's an issue with the page.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shhh...not so loud.  There's some other things I'm excited about due to how it's worded.

the LAWS page shows it as being returned to the House. Not sure if Gary is right, or if there's an issue with the page.
View Quote

It's interesting how much of HB 258 mirrors the MT FFA from years ago - except HB 258 really gives it teeth.

I'm too excited to be quiet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes. They struck through the parts excluding NFA items along with felony prohibition and clarifying that State LE may not help in any way/shape/form with the feds.

Easy to click link:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dear MSSA Friends,
Super good news. HB 258 has been approved by the Senate on Third Reading by the expected vote of 30-20. For anyone who may have been gone on an extended vacation, HB 258 is MSSA's popular bill to prohibit state and local government employees from enforcing any new federal gun control laws, executive orders, rules or regulations.
HB 258 will now go to Governor Gianforte for his signature. He is expected to sign the bill.

I recommend that you send the Governor a message thanking him in advance for signing HB 258. The best way to message the Governor is via:

Just FYI, HB 258 has an immediate effective date, so it will be effective as soon as the Governor signs it.

We're still working on HB 436, HB 405, SB 283, and SB 370. Stay tuned for a follow up on those. Meanwhile, the Legislature is about to recess later today for the Easter break. They will be back on Tuesday.

Best wishes,
--
Gary Marbut, President

Easy to click link:

Governor Gianforte

I give my wholehearted support to your signing HB 258. Montana's Congress has lobbed you a soft ball and the State's people are cheering you on. Knock it out of the park for us!

Does this mean that MT LEO will not be going after NFA,felon in possession, Lautenberg violations ect. ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does this mean that MT LEO will not be going after NFA,felon in possession, Lautenberg violations ect. ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dear MSSA Friends,

Best wishes,
--
Gary Marbut, President

Easy to click link:

Governor Gianforte

Take a peek at the bill itself. It certainly reads that way to me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't look too close I guess..... the Senate must of amended by striking through those lines and now it must be approved by the House before going to Governor Gianforte's desk?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I asked. Apparently it goes back to where it started, in this case the House, to be prepared and transmitted.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I asked. Apparently it goes back to where it started, in this case the House, to be prepared and transmitted.
View Quote
Does it have to be voted on?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I didn't look too close I guess..... the Senate must of amended by striking through those lines and now it must be approved by the House before going to Governor Gianforte's desk?
View Quote

Yes. I bet it goes through too.

Ballsy change even if it's just on paper thus far. I'd still love to see some real teeth added. Penalties and fines - even jail time - for any Montana State/county/local employee who violates the law.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does it have to be voted on?
View Quote
From the information I received, I do not believe it does. Otherwise, I don't believe that Gary would have also said let the Governor know. The message would have been let the House members know.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Damnation. Capitalization/underlining and strike through denotes the changes made most recently.

"Federal ban" means a federal law, executive order, rule, regulation THAT IS ENACTED, ADOPTED, OR BECOMES EFFECTIVE ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2021, or a new and more restrictive interpretation of an existing A law THAT EXISTED ON JANUARY 1, 2021 that infringes upon, calls in question, or prohibits, restricts, or requires individual licensure for or registration of the purchase, ownership, possession, transfer, or use of any firearm, any magazine or other ammunition feeding device, or other firearm accessory.
View Quote

They nerfed it.

It's now just another feel-good do-nothing law.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damnation. Capitalization/underlining and strike through denotes the changes made most recently.

They nerfed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Federal ban" means a federal law, executive order, rule, regulation THAT IS ENACTED, ADOPTED, OR BECOMES EFFECTIVE ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2021, or a new and more restrictive interpretation of an existing A law THAT EXISTED ON JANUARY 1, 2021 that infringes upon, calls in question, or prohibits, restricts, or requires individual licensure for or registration of the purchase, ownership, possession, transfer, or use of any firearm, any magazine or other ammunition feeding device, or other firearm accessory.

They nerfed it.

No, I don't think so. I remember that in the first version that I saw-that's why I was surprised when I read the amendments. They really need to list them more clearly.

This does a lot-ATF could say "pistol braces are stocks" (as an example), and MT would say "okay, you come enforce it-we won't". Or Congress could pass a new AWB, and MT would say "ok, but we're not going to enforce it."

Like another poster pointed out, I wish there would be real penalties for locals that try to, but this would at least make it illegal for them to enforce it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
HB258 was sent to enrolling!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, I don't think so. I remember that in the first version that I saw-that's why I was surprised when I read the amendments. They really need to list them more clearly.

This does a lot-ATF could say "pistol braces are stocks" (as an example), and MT would say "okay, you come enforce it-we won't". Or Congress could pass a new AWB, and MT would say "ok, but we're not going to enforce it."

Like another poster pointed out, I wish there would be real penalties for locals that try to, but this would at least make it illegal for them to enforce it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They nerfed it.

Baby steps at least. I guess the next push is to get them to add penalties and/or remove the date restrictions.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Baby steps at least. I guess the next push is to get them to add penalties and/or remove the date restrictions.
View Quote
Obviously I would prefer the date to be 1776, but this is most certainly a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like AZ beat us to the punch:

Republican Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona signed a bill on Tuesday that would ban local governments and employees from enforcing or aiding any infringement on gun rights imposed by the federal government.

House Bill 2111 was passed by the Arizona House and Senate in an attempt to preempt any new regulation of guns by the Biden administration.

“The state of Arizona and its political subdivisions are prohibited from utilizing any financial resources or state personnel to administer, cooperate with or enforce any law, act, order, rule, treaty or regulation of the federal government that is inconsistent with any law of this state regarding the regulation of firearms,” read the text of the legislation.
https://patriotdailypress.org/2021/04/07/arizona-gov-doug-ducey-signs-bill-to-defy-any-new-federal-gun-control-laws/?cmid=43e06cb0-fc9e-4964-af5a-7b8ff0dfb713
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like AZ beat us to the punch:

Republican Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona signed a bill on Tuesday that would ban local governments and employees from enforcing or aiding any infringement on gun rights imposed by the federal government.

House Bill 2111 was passed by the Arizona House and Senate in an attempt to preempt any new regulation of guns by the Biden administration.

“The state of Arizona and its political subdivisions are prohibited from utilizing any financial resources or state personnel to administer, cooperate with or enforce any law, act, order, rule, treaty or regulation of the federal government that is inconsistent with any law of this state regarding the regulation of firearms,” read the text of the legislation.
https://patriotdailypress.org/2021/04/07/arizona-gov-doug-ducey-signs-bill-to-defy-any-new-federal-gun-control-laws/?cmid=43e06cb0-fc9e-4964-af5a-7b8ff0dfb713
View Quote

Having recently left there (only there for 2 years), their politics really confuse me. Solidly red on a state level. Heck, Maricopa County voted for Gov. Ducey. However, at the same time they voted for Kyrsten Sinema. Then this year, Maricopa County voted for Biden and the incumbent Dem Sheriff. There is about 10% of the county that I think is pretty middle of the road and flip flops on who they vote for. It's also the largest county and where most of the Californians moving to AZ seem to be going . Where we were was extremely red, which was nice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Returned from enrolling on the 7th. Final unsigned version available: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billpdf/HB0258.pdf
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
HB 436 - amend Montana preemption law to further restrict local government regulation of firearms.
Update: Has been Tabled by SJC. Send Emails to SJC to support this bill

Message Senate Judiciary Committee

A simple message to support and move HB 436 forward should be helpful.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
In an upcoming May meeting, the Montana Board of Regents will adopt a new firearms policy to implement the Campus Carry portion of HB 102.  This portion of HB 102 will become effective on June 1, 2021.

I sent comments to the BoR and the Commissioner of Higher Education today about their developing new policy to implement HB 102.  You can review my comments at:

Gary's message

I am told that they are getting loads of comments from anti-gunners demanding that they NOT implement HB 102, that they file a lawsuit to challenge HB 102, or that they far exceed the limited regulatory authority allowed under HB 102.

We need a LOT of comment from our side asking the BoR to do just what HB 102 allows and no more.  You can send a comment by email to:

[email protected]

The Subject line should be:  HB 102 and campus firearm policy.

The easy thing to say is just that you agree with the MSSA comment submitted on 4/7/21.  Or, make any further or other comment you like.

Please forward this to all of your pro-gun friends for additional comments.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In an upcoming May meeting, the Montana Board of Regents will adopt a new firearms policy to implement the Campus Carry portion of HB 102.  This portion of HB 102 will become effective on June 1, 2021.

I sent comments to the BoR and the Commissioner of Higher Education today about their developing new policy to implement HB 102.  You can review my comments at:

Gary's message

I am told that they are getting loads of comments from anti-gunners demanding that they NOT implement HB 102, that they file a lawsuit to challenge HB 102, or that they far exceed the limited regulatory authority allowed under HB 102.

We need a LOT of comment from our side asking the BoR to do just what HB 102 allows and no more.  You can send a comment by email to:

[email protected]

The Subject line should be:  HB 102 and campus firearm policy.

The easy thing to say is just that you agree with the MSSA comment submitted on 4/7/21.  Or, make any further or other comment you like.

Please forward this to all of your pro-gun friends for additional comments.
View Quote

Should we put this out to GD and let the guys have fun?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Was 258 not in the stack given to him on Friday?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was 258 not in the stack given to him on Friday?
View Quote

It certainly could have been in there. On the State's website it just shows that enrolling is done, iirc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.kulr8.com/top_story/gov-gianforte-signs-several-bills-friday-vetoes-hb-97/article_59a9f2ab-0012-5ac0-a4f6-566e3db674f6.html

The bills Gianforte signed and transmitted to the Secretary of State include:

HB 37

HB 39

HB 58

HB 71

HB 95

HB 139

HB 157

HB 224

HB 225

HB 304

HB 309

HB 353

HB 437

HB 566

HB 594

SB 60
View Quote
That was why I asked. Wanted to make sure he didn't pocket veto.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Response received regarding my email in favor of HB 258 (Obviously canned):

Dear XXXXX?,

Thank you for reaching out to me about Montana’s gun laws. I appreciate your thoughts on this and I value your input.

Our Second Amendment-protected right to keep and bear arms is part of Montana’s, and our nation’s, rich heritage. We have a responsibility to preserve it. Every law-abiding Montanan should be able to defend themselves and their loved ones. That’s why I signed HB 102 into law on February 18.

This new law allows law-abiding Montana gun owners to carry their concealed firearms for self-defense throughout the state without written authorization from the government, joining nearly 20 other states with similar legislation. Furthermore, the law also simplifies the patchwork of concealed carry laws into a single standard throughout our state.

I will always defend law-abiding Montanans’ Second Amendment-protected rights to keep and bear arms.

Thank you again for reaching out to me. Hearing from you and other Montanans helps me better serve you and better understand your perspective. I will continue to rely on your views as I lead Montana, which is my great honor. My door is always open. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for anything.

Sincerely,

Greg Gianforte

Governor
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Side note for future elections, state Senators Brian Hoven (GF) and John Esp (Big Timber) voting records indicating they are not pro-gun, should probably be voter forcibly retired at the earliest opportunity. Both voted against HB102 with Hoven also voting against HB258.

A much better method of tracking legislature voting habits can be found here: https://apps.montanafreepress.org/capitol-tracker-2021/
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Side note for future elections, state Senators Brian Hoven (GF) and John Esp (Big Timber) voting records indicating they are not pro-gun, should probably be voter forcibly retired at the earliest opportunity. Both voted against HB102 with Hoven also voting against HB258.

A much better method of tracking legislature voting habits can be found here: https://apps.montanafreepress.org/capitol-tracker-2021/
View Quote

Hoven is not pro gun. He doesn't try to hide it. But of course, during an election year, he sponsored a table at our local Friends of NRA event..... But that was a long time ago. He is a nice enough guy, but if he doesn't vote pro 2nd, he is worthless in that position.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#34]
We need a sticky at the top of the page to keep a running history of who we want to primary out come election time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dear XXXXX?,

Thank you for reaching out to me about Montana’s gun laws. I appreciate your thoughts on this and I value your input.

Our Second Amendment-protected right to keep and bear arms is part of Montana’s, and our nation’s, rich heritage. We have a responsibility to preserve it. Every law-abiding Montanan should be able to defend themselves and their loved ones. That’s why I signed HB 102 into law on February 18.

This new law allows law-abiding Montana gun owners to carry their concealed firearms for self-defense throughout the state without written authorization from the government, joining nearly 20 other states with similar legislation. Furthermore, the law also simplifies the patchwork of concealed carry laws into a single standard throughout our state.

I will always defend law-abiding Montanans’ Second Amendment-protected rights to keep and bear arms.

Thank you again for reaching out to me. Hearing from you and other Montanans helps me better serve you and better understand your perspective. I will continue to rely on your views as I lead Montana, which is my great honor. My door is always open. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for anything.

Sincerely,

Greg Gianforte

Governor
View Quote

I got the same canned email. No mention of HB258. I have a bad feeling about this.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I emailed him as well. Let's go, guys!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I got the same canned email. No mention of HB258. I have a bad feeling about this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear XXXXX?,

Sincerely,

Greg Gianforte

Governor

For what it's worth I got the same response to HB102 when that was the issue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gianfoete will sign HB 258. I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like the official version of HB 258 has been sent to Gianforte. Things are looking good.

Keep the messages going to SJC to support HB 436 back into motion.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#42]
https://newstalk955.com/governor-gianfortes-1st-post-quarantine-interview-and-phone-calls/

GIANFORTE: What we're seeing coming out of Washington is very concerning, particularly for Second Amendment advocates. Our Constitution is very clear. It says our right to own and bear arms shall not be infringed. And if the federal government takes action to negatively impact our constitutional rights, we need to stand up here in Montana.  So I look forward to getting that bill on my desk. And I'll be signing it into law.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://newstalk955.com/governor-gianfortes-1st-post-quarantine-interview-and-phone-calls/

GIANFORTE: What we're seeing coming out of Washington is very concerning, particularly for Second Amendment advocates. Our Constitution is very clear. It says our right to own and bear arms shall not be infringed. And if the federal government takes action to negatively impact our constitutional rights, we need to stand up here in Montana.  So I look forward to getting that bill on my desk. And I'll be signing it into law.

Well then! That's pretty damned clear.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Today the governor was a pretty cool guy...
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Alright - what gives?

HB258 was transmitted to Gianforte on the 13th. It's the 21st.

Why has this bill been sitting on his desk unsigned?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#47]
On the bright side, if it doesn't get vetoed, it becomes law in the next 2 days without his signature. IIRC
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
On the bright side, if it doesn't get vetoed, it becomes law in the next 2 days without his signature. IIRC
View Quote

I'd still far prefer he sign it. I really don't like what it says that it's not important enough to him to give it his signature.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'd still far prefer he sign it. I really don't like what it says that it's not important enough to him to give it his signature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That date is the date the document was transmitted to his desk. It is not necessarily the date his office received it. We have seen issues with this in the past where "online" a bill sat on Bullock's desk for the ten days and it became law.  But then within a few days later he vetoed it. I believe the SOS(Corey Stapleton) tried to fight it and it held up in court as a veto.

Just keep focused and calm. Gianforte has publicly stated that he overwhelmingly supports this bill. He will sign it. The idea that he just sits around all day waiting for this one bill is not reality.

The one that we need to blast from being tabled in SJC is where our heads and attention should be. Get messages to the Senate Judiciary Committee to move HB 436 forward.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top