Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 6:07:08 PM EDT
Here's the run-down on a couple private landowners blocking off public from access to lands for decades in the Bitterroot.

Bitterroot public access issue
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't think of anyone that has made it a point to want to travel that short section of road, unless they wanted to visit the two families living up there, and that is rare. It's a dead end road, and the only thing to see are some old tailings from a mine that petered out decades ago. I also can't think of anyone that would be out anything were the road abandoned, and the gate left standing. If you've ever been up that way, you aren't missing out on much.

As far as the road "providing legal access to public land and waters that could be used for public recreational use", that "public land" is a narrow road walled-in by a narrow canyon, and the "water" is a creek about a foot wide and about two inches deep. Like I said, I can't see very many people missing out on much by not being able to go up there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't think of anyone that has made it a point to want to travel that short section of road, unless they wanted to visit the two families living up there, and that is rare. It's a dead end road, and the only thing to see are some old tailings from a mine that petered out decades ago. I also can't think of anyone that would be out anything were the road abandoned, and the gate left standing. If you've ever been up that way, you aren't missing out on much.

As far as the road "providing legal access to public land and waters that could be used for public recreational use", that "public land" is a narrow road walled-in by a narrow canyon, and the "water" is a creek about a foot wide and about two inches deep. Like I said, I can't see very many people missing out on much by not being able to go up there.
View Quote
Take your point up with Ravalli Co then since they've been fighting this issue for decades.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It really does not matter that most won't miss out on much, what matters is if every time a land owner wants to shut off access to public resources, they will have a better chance because if this one is allowed to stand, others will continue to follow.

I don't care if it is a 1 foot square piece of land in the middle of a field, if the private landowner can deny the public access then the public looses.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
They were having pissing matches over Hughes Crick way back when I lived out there. Funny to hear it's still an issue. 

It's amazing how people think they have a right to close off a public road just because it crosses their property. Carol King and Weird Rick pulled that shit down near Salmon too. They couldn't wrap their hippy heads around the fact that the FS road easement was in existence long before they bought their property. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
This last Bitterroot paper had a front page article on this, and that the judge shot down the request for the county to turn over the road to those freeloaders.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They were having pissing matches over Hughes Crick way back when I lived out there. Funny to hear it's still an issue. 

It's amazing how people think they have a right to close off a public road just because it crosses their property. Carol King and Weird Rick pulled that shit down near Salmon too. They couldn't wrap their hippy heads around the fact that the FS road easement was in existence long before they bought their property. 
View Quote
Yea I remember the Carol King deal when I was living in Challis.  Her property was on the south side of the river going up Hwy 75 between Yankee Fork and Stanley.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yea I remember the Carol King deal when I was living in Challis.  Her property was on the south side of the river going up Hwy 75 between Yankee Fork and Stanley.
View Quote
I just looked and that square-headed bitch is still alive and likely still fucking with people. Apparently she ran Hippie Rick off in '89, so there's that. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top