Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2017 10:44:12 PM EDT
I'm getting off the boat on 9/11. I have a Tundra crewmax and most likely a 16' double axle trailer or a Uhaul.  I'm coordinating with a local to me pastor/professor to gather supplies to make a run to the Houston area on or around 9/13. I live just above Hattiesburg and will be heading down 59 to 12 then to 10 to Texas.  Anyone around Hattiesburg/Laurel area that would like to help let me know and I can get a drop point for anything that you could send.  The below list is one a friend on another boat saw in a FB page concerning disaster relief supplies.   Yes, it's 2 weeks from now but I'm hoping a balance of storm water receeding and the sheer numbers of people in need will reach a balance that will make the trip worthwhile and successful.  If anyone cares, though I don't talk about it much, I'm a towboat captain that works almost exclusively in and around Houston/Port Arthur when I'm not on the Mississippi.  Harvey put a hell of a Dent in East Texas.  I'm of the age and sort of position where I can do more to help than just donate $20 via PayPal.  I'll keep updating this thread when I have more info. If the trip is cancelled I can make arrangements to get supplies returned or donated to a local shelter or church if the donors are agreeable.   Thanks.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, Brother I am in.

Pm me a good address and I will hook you up with some gift cards for Walmart or any store you want to shop at.  Obliviously if I send goods I'll have to pay shipping and I'd rather the extra just go to the cause.
 I can send a card for fuel for you if you can supply me with a national gas station that I can get cards in my local area.

Im in Pittsburgh PA.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll pm my address so I don't have folks coming to my house wanting to 'borrow' my toys.  Walmart would be fine as well as Shell gas cards.  I drive I-10 between Mobile AL and Houston A LOT and there's plenty of Shell stations as well as several Walmarts along the way.   I have my first donation from the guy building my M40A1 clone so at least I have a start.  Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
First donation received for Operation Dent Harvey!  Thank you Mark Williams of Raven Rifles in Virginia for the generous donation of $100!    

As for the name: it's a nod to Batman. Harvey Dent/Two Face is a vivid example of how easily a good man can turn bad with the right push.  To Dent Harvey is to take the right push and turn tragedy into triumph.  Cheesy, maybe but it's my op.

Full disclosure crap: Raven is building me an M40A1 clone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
besides his donation and what im sending do you have any supplies lined up?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.wdam.com/story/36247424/hattiesburg-churches-collecting-supplies-for-texas-residents?utm_content=buffer07828&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Just a heads up there is a run being done by 3 of the Hattiesburg Churches tomorrow with a box truck or semi.  My family is dropping off a few cases of water, some dog food, and diapers that we picked up at Sam's Club. If for some reason tomorrow's donation run goes awry, I will definitely contact the OP about finding a way to get these supplies to Texas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
besides his donation and what im sending do you have any supplies lined up?
View Quote
At this time, no.  I'm still 12 days out on my planned run and I'm giving my 'partner' time on his end to get some momentum up.  I'm going to get my wife to let the church know Sunday and talk with him face to face to get an idea of what I might be able to roll out with.  Worst case, I go to Sam's club and use the donations and my own money to buy water, snacks and toiletries myself.  Also, in staying with what's happening out here, the Orange/Beaumont/Port Arthur area has been really hammered too with flooding.  It just doesn't get the national attention.  If the Houston trip is unnecessary I may coordinate with one of our Port captains in Orange and come up with a drop point there.  He is really active with his church and community and has quite a few contacts there and in the Lake Charles area. I have an aunt that has been working as a nurse at the VA in Houston and I may check with her next week to see if there's any needs there that can be attended to.  

It's kinda funny,not ha ha funny but interesting funny, I've been looking at the Troy SFOD-D and otherr BHD clone for my next project and there's Black Hawk helos from the Texas NG doing sorties over here in Port Arthur. I keep hearing lines from the movie in my head watching them fly over and do drops and pickups.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I almost forgot I had a thread for this!  

I made the relief supply run as scheduled on 9/13. Left home around 8:15 and got there around 2:15.  Traffic was typical of the Texas/Louisiana border for the past decade. Made our drop and was back umderway by 3:00. Once again traffic reared it's head at the Baton Rouge bridge, as always. Made several detours and got back home around 9:00. Close to 700 miles with a quick turnaround. Burned somewhere in the realm of 50 gallons of gas.  As several of the initially targeted drop points had closed themselves to donations, I had to find one on the fly.  I ended up going to First Baptist Church in Vidor Texas. You can google map it but it sits between Orange and Beaumont on I-10. They have a decent sized operation going with a drive through for people needing supplies. From rubber boots to bottled water, they had it.  They were very appreciative of our load.  We ended up with a bed full of water, trash bags, gloves, dental hygiene products, soap and hand sanitizer, pet food in dry form, paper towels and toilet paper, clorox and lysol wipes, Walmart gift cards, several hundred dollars in cash and some other things I'm forgetting.  I want to thank specifically @fatgnome and @OverScoped from here. Their donations helped top off a much needed and appreciated load of assistance.  I wanted to get pics but with traffic, law enforcement generally looking unfriendly and the drive time I didn't get any pics worth keeping.  Once again I appreciate the generosity shown by some of our members and a few others that are from elsewhere.  Every road we traveled on in Texas and every connecting road was lined with piles of ruined belongings. Entire neighborhoods were emptied onto the curbs. I can't imagine how that would feel in the beginning, much less in the duration.   Really really sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top