Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
Anyone familiar with the free public range in Brooklyn?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Piece of junk place! Don't waste your time. It used to be "ok" about 6-7 years ago but the hoodlums of the area came through and trashed it. Now if you really badly need a spot to shoot your pistol or ar at close range (25yds max), then by all means. I personally like the mchenry state range. 42 bucks and change a year can't be beat. 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The local redneck trash ruined it for everyone.  The bench is ruined. The target stands shot. The sign destroyed. I hate rednecks.

There used to be a guy who was there just to collect your brass. raked the ground and all..

If you want to go, make sure its on a workday in the daytime. Hopefully your there by yourself..
I have seen some idiots there.. One guy fired a shot during a cold range.. Luckily no one got killed.

Mchenry.... Pay to play
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no bench at that range anymore. It is literally just a strip of dirt and a burm.  Last time I was out there, some family set up and started shooting to the right of the actual range with zero backstop behind it.  I left at that point.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The local redneck trash ruined it for everyone.  The bench is ruined. The target stands shot. The sign destroyed. I hate rednecks.

There used to be a guy who was there just to collect your brass. raked the ground and all..

If you want to go, make sure its on a workday in the daytime. Hopefully your there by yourself..
I have seen some idiots there.. One guy fired a shot during a cold range.. Luckily no one got killed.

Mchenry.... Pay to play
View Quote
LOL! I remember the "Brass Vulture," as I used to call him. He used to creep me out, standing to the back of the firing line, puffing on those dog turd cigars, watching every. single. piece. of brass leaving the ejection port to skitter across the ground. Sometimes he would get on hands and knees right there beside you, picking hot pistol or rifle brass right out from around your feet. Creepy old bastard.

One day, I finally turned around and told him A) quit bird doggin' me and B) I'm taking my brass with me, thanks.

As far as the range conditions go, it's always been kinda trashy. I used to pack out a truckload of trash every trip, and I never seemed to make a dent.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard that McHenry is a good range and offers a wide variety for shooters, specifically hunters, but what about brothers-in-arms just south of Hattie?

They advertise individual/small group pistol ranges with steel and paper targets, out to 200 for rifle and a large pistol range. Plus a anything goes (safely) range. No skeet though...yet
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
According to a facebook post that was just put up it is redone and like new!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Really. I'll have to go look.  
On a Monday morning.....

The worst thing I saw there was done kids.  They brought their dog. None of the kids wearing muffs either.  I made them take their dog the the truck and gave them earplugs.  instead of tying him to the bench.

Other times I've had to give people kids ear plugs.  

Looking forward to seeing it.  I will post a picture.  The state would be wiser spending money at Mchenry.

Hopefully it rivals the range I remember going to when I was s kid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LOL! I remember the "Brass Vulture," as I used to call him. He used to creep me out, standing to the back of the firing line, puffing on those dog turd cigars, watching every. single. piece. of brass leaving the ejection port to skitter across the ground. Sometimes he would get on hands and knees right there beside you, picking hot pistol or rifle brass right out from around your feet. Creepy old bastard.

One day, I finally turned around and told him A) quit bird doggin' me and B) I'm taking my brass with me, thanks.

As far as the range conditions go, it's always been kinda trashy. I used to pack out a truckload of trash every trip, and I never seemed to make a dent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mchenry.... Pay to play

Wow! I am glad others have experienced this guy. I have seen him with a shovel and sifting tables set up!  Becomes angry at others for picking up brass, because he needs it since he is on disability.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The range looks great now.  New benches, prone shooting table, one of them fancy "roof" things , more trash cans than you could ever need, and a gen-u-ine BBQ grill.

Let's just hope people keep it clean and don't trash it like in the past.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#10]
We are all talking about the same range correct? South of Brooklyn, north of Wiggins? If so I need to find this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
taken from another forum, but these directions are correct.

"There is a range that is maintained by the US Forestry Service. It is located near Brooklyn near the Ash Nursery. Turn off Hwy 49 just before Black Creek and go into Brooklyn. Go to caution light. Go straight across the tracks and keep going straight. Come to a fork in the road, take the right fork. This is actually straight, but keep going. Go about another a mile, cross Black Creek then go another mile or so. Come to a stop sign. This is New York Road (gravel). Take a left and go about 3-5 miles and it is on the left. "
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
taken from another forum, but these directions are correct.

"There is a range that is maintained by the US Forestry Service. It is located near Brooklyn near the Ash Nursery. Turn off Hwy 49 just before Black Creek and go into Brooklyn. Go to caution light. Go straight across the tracks and keep going straight. Come to a fork in the road, take the right fork. This is actually straight, but keep going. Go about another a mile, cross Black Creek then go another mile or so. Come to a stop sign. This is New York Road (gravel). Take a left and go about 3-5 miles and it is on the left. "
View Quote
Hmmm...reckon I'll check it out while riding around tonight. This rain is keeping everyone inside, makes for a slow and peaceful night
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure didn't take long for all the new target hanging cables and provided target mounts to get shot down.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Frankly, I'm not surprised given the people in the area.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I miss that old place. Been shooting there since the 1990s, and it's a huge difference from the hyper-complicated, astronomically expensive range facilities around the Dallas area.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Ms Public Range, fooled again. Thought it was about hotties shooting. Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Trash is building up again at the range. Its really a shame. People don't even bother to toss their crap into one of the 6+ trash cans found just 10 feet from the shooting benches.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#18]
well the trash got cleaned out.  looks good. hopefully folks will keep it this way for a while...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top