Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 8:06:35 PM EDT
Sitting here after another long work week and realized that in 3 weeks I will be in Bartlett for a weeks vacation.  Just a short 8.5 hour drive... Trying to show the recently retired folks the greener grass.  Although their plans to go to Montana aren't bad either.  Definitely taking the kids to Story Land.  Looking forward to checking out an area I have not been to before.  But also planning a day trip to the Portsmouth area to hit the normal haunts.

Anyone have any good fishin holes in the Bartlett area, something with half way decent public access perhaps?  Also, how harsh are the game wardens about kids fishing? I don't have a problem getting a day or week fishing permit if they are offered(haven't checked out the NHDEC website in quite a while).  Just trying to find some quiet time stuff to do as well.  Which is not how our vacations normally are.

What else should we check out... any very easy, with good views hiking areas for the old folks(Grandma has some feet and knee issues)?  Area gun shops that are must sees?  Restaurants?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I live about 30 miles from Bartlett due north, up this way you don't see to many wardens...although my town was on TV(north woods law).  There's awesome fishing up this way on the Androscoggin once you are north of the old paper plants, towards Errol, and if you have an ATV bring it...the trails up here are amazing and take you places you wouldn't believe.  Hope your vacation is fun in the Magical Wonderland of Freedom!

and LL Cote in Errol is pretty sweet
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Children under 16 don't need a license, and they do have 1 day and 7 day licenses for adults, I think there was either a 3 or 5 day option also.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sitting here after another long work week and realized that in 3 weeks I will be in Bartlett for a weeks vacation.  Just a short 8.5 hour drive... Trying to show the recently retired folks the greener grass.  Although their plans to go to Montana aren't bad either.  Definitely taking the kids to Story Land.  Looking forward to checking out an area I have not been to before.  But also planning a day trip to the Portsmouth area to hit the normal haunts.

Anyone have any good fishin holes in the Bartlett area, something with half way decent public access perhaps?  Also, how harsh are the game wardens about kids fishing? I don't have a problem getting a day or week fishing permit if they are offered(haven't checked out the NHDEC website in quite a while).  Just trying to find some quiet time stuff to do as well.  Which is not how our vacations normally are.

What else should we check out... any very easy, with good views hiking areas for the old folks(Grandma has some feet and knee issues)?  Area gun shops that are must sees?  Restaurants?
View Quote

Can't help you much with fishing, but for places to go see:

Diana's Baths and Echo Lake are right next door in Intervale/North Conway -- good places for a picnic or to lounge in the water if it's hot.

Arethusa Falls is worth seeing, (might be too much for Grandma), but it's a real easy hike for able bodied folks. There are some falls in the center of Jackson that you can drive to that are kinda cool too.

As for food:

Red Parka in Intervale/North Conway has live music some nights, as does Shovel Handle (in Jackson). Moat Mountain is always fun. Mae Kelly's is good too, so is Delaney's. Peach's is good for breakfast (but gets crowded), as is Sunrise Shack.

White Mountain Cider Co. is still closed from a fire I believe. It didn't look open when I was up there a few months ago.

I've never actually been to Joseph's Spaghetti Shack, but @dalegribble87 and I have a running joke about it, so you should probably check it out and report back to us.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Green mountain rifle barrel co is in Conway as well
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolfeboro has the Wright Museum of WWII and the Wooden Boat Museum.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies so far.  I pinned a bunch of the food spots.  Trying to narrow down some road side shore fishing spots.  It may turn into more of a "hit and run" type of fishing when we pass one of the access points.  Or a picnic type of thing, get some food and go to a spot to eat and see what happens.

Anyone know if you can fish off of the boat launch docks in Wolfeboro?  There seems to be a shoreline spot near the Academy, but just another shallow beach type of area though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice... Had a great trip.  Stayed in a nice place in Glen.  They had the Trump boardgame in the game room, but I neglected to get a picture.  We were very busy, I put 1640 miles on the rental car.  We did Clark's trading post, Funspot, Weirs Beach, Conway Scenic railway, The girls did a trail ride at Black Mtn.  Went to Loon Lake and played around there.  And a couple trips to Portsmouth/Kittery.  The outlets were nice, Walmart pissed me off not selling me a bolt gun that is perfectly legal in my crap state.  Didn't get to actually stop at any of the small firearm places.  Called a couple looking for something in particular, but no one had it.  I guess I just missed the hunting rifle restock season.  Fishing was a bit rough from shore(at least int he couple of places I got to try).  Only caught a tiny sunny and a 6-7" Pickerel at Chocorua Lake.

While the food was OK in the north country; things seemed kind of bland.  Not horribly, but like they were cooking for the kids and elderly folks, if that makes sense.  Peaches was a great breakfast.  Sunrise Shack was good and a little different take on breakfast fare.  Moat Mtn was pretty decent; I enjoyed trying their beers and the Cajun fries are good.  The night we drove in we wanted something quick and decided on the Spaghetti Shack.  After 8 hours of driving it was actually perfect for taking things home for dinner.  Plus we all had leftovers, which came in just as handy later in the week.  It was also decent food; again, a little on the mild side for me. @thormx538  So let me in on the running joke.

While the views were nice, I think I prefer the lakes region and seacoast more.

The driving on those mountain roads took every bit of patience this CDL driver had at times.  What's with the drive slow as hell until the slower traffic stay right area's?  I think you locals do it on purpose  The other MA, CT, RI -er's drove like I expected... bearing in mind I'm only a lowly NY driver.

Didn't see any Moose either, you all should get some domesticated ones for us city folks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
What's with the drive slow as hell until the slower traffic stay right area's?  I think you locals do it on purpose  The other MA, CT, RI -er's drove like I expected... bearing in mind I'm only a lowly NY driver.

NH = No Hurry . Driving , Fast food ( no such thing in this state) ,etc..

As for the food , Portsmouth  would certainly be the best place to find "flavor" in the state.

When I moved here , I asked the locals who had a good pizza, they said "well the gas station of course."
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 The night we drove in we wanted something quick and decided on the Spaghetti Shack.  After 8 hours of driving it was actually perfect for taking things home for dinner.  Plus we all had leftovers, which came in just as handy later in the week.  It was also decent food; again, a little on the mild side for me. @thormx538  So let me in on the running joke.
View Quote
@dalegribble87

Hahaha that's awesome. We've been driving past that place for years but just always assumed it was like, only spaghetti, and with foam plates and plastic utensils. I know tons of people that know about Joe's, but I've never met anyone that actually went there (actually, a friend of a friend got their wedding cake from there, oddly enough). Thanks for the AAR, I might actually have to go there next time I'm up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@dalegribble87

Hahaha that's awesome. We've been driving past that place for years but just always assumed it was like, only spaghetti, and with foam plates and plastic utensils. I know tons of people that know about Joe's, but I've never met anyone that actually went there (actually, a friend of a friend got their wedding cake from there, oddly enough). Thanks for the AAR, I might actually have to go there next time I'm up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 The night we drove in we wanted something quick and decided on the Spaghetti Shack.  After 8 hours of driving it was actually perfect for taking things home for dinner.  Plus we all had leftovers, which came in just as handy later in the week.  It was also decent food; again, a little on the mild side for me. @thormx538  So let me in on the running joke.
@dalegribble87

I'd skip the meatballs though... Maybe it's just that we have more "Little Italy" types of places than one could fathom in my state. Which makes me a bit bias against most Italian eateries.  From the others in the family; The Pasta Bolognese was good and the plain Alfredo as well.  I got the Tomato Cream sauce, with some salt, pepper and a bit of the garlic butter they give for the bread it was good.  And all was much better than the Shaw's pre-made pasta that my youngest grabbed the night before we left, haha.  That was rough any way you tried to doctor it up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's with the drive slow as hell until the slower traffic stay right area's?  I think you locals do it on purpose  The other MA, CT, RI -er's drove like I expected... bearing in mind I'm only a lowly NY driver.

NH = No Hurry . Driving , Fast food ( no such thing in this state) ,etc..

As for the food , Portsmouth  would certainly be the best place to find "flavor" in the state.

When I moved here , I asked the locals who had a good pizza, they said "well the gas station of course."
View Quote
OK I admit, I am one of those types that looks at the posted speed limit as a minimum requirement barring inclement weather.

We actually made it the entire trip without trying to get pizza...  Which is a little odd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top