Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 11:15:29 PM EDT
At this point I'd rather live out west like Texas or Arizona but until I can convince my wife of that...

My dream home is somewhere I can walk out back and have a small range, like 300m max. Ideally
So how does this work in NH?

I know in some states you can shoot in your backyard if you live in the county, but not if you live in city/municipal limits.
Are there any weird laws about this in NH that wouldn't allows this?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I get the feeling you think NH is like MA.  It's not. If you are in a rural town and have the land and it is safe you can do it.  Be sure of your backstop etc.  even in some of the bigger towns it's fina as long as all safety rules are observed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
300 ft between structures IIRC. Four rules, yadda yadda.  Nothing but awesomeness in NH.

More importantly though, have you been through a REAL NH winter?  I'm talking 4 straight months of howling wind, 100 ft snow drifts, black ice, power outages, and no sunlight.  Imagine doing that until the day. you.  die.  

AZ for me please!

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More importantly though, have you been through a REAL NH winter?  I'm talking 4 straight months of howling wind, 100 ft snow drifts, black ice, power outages, and no sunlight.  Imagine doing that until the day. you.  die.  
AZ for me please!
View Quote

NH is not my first choice. It's already a blue state. I feel like it's only a matter of time before they go full retard and start banning things there.
I fucking hate snow. I live on an island in the Pacific. I didn't realize how much I prefer warmer weather until I came here. I'll happily visit NH, go snowmobiling for a couple weeks, spend Christmas there, etc. But until I'm convinced otherwise I'd much rather live somewhere like Texas or Arizona. I have about 8 years to convince my wife they are not as brown and desolate as she things they are and to find a place near a lake or property with its own lake.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You sound like you came here hoping we would bad-mouth New Hampshire.  We won't.  Frankly it sounds like you should stay away and take the negativity with you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It maybe a blue state but its not by much

If we can kick a few asses out of here and bring in a few good ones we might be able to swing it back the other way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
A few years ago I was in your situation, negotiating where in the US we wanted to eventually retire.  In the end our compromise was NH, and last year we bought a house there, although I have yet to retire.

Deciding factors for NH were:
Gun friendly
Low taxes
Topography (we like the mountains)
Rural
Socially moderate
High quality health care (Dartmouth, MGH)

The only negative IMHO is high property taxes, although overall tax burden is low.  FYI, property tax rate varies significantly throughout the state.

Over several years we made multiple trips to NH, vacationing in different parts of the state in summer and winter.  Different regions of the state have their individual and varying personalities.  We choose the New London area.

The law regarding shooting on your property (from memory) is you must be > 300ft from a permanently occupied structure and can't shoot across (? near) a road.  Some developments have there own covenants, so check for those as well.  Having gun friendly neighbors is helpful, and one of mine is not, but this is hard to determine while house hunting.

Regarding the winters: we currently live in TN and it is currently 61 degrees, although that is unseasonably warm .  However, in the summer we have months of hot humid weather.  So pick your poison regarding cold winters or hot summers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You sound like you came here hoping we would bad-mouth New Hampshire.  We won't.  Frankly it sounds like you should stay away and take the negativity with you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
A few years ago I was in your situation, negotiating where in the US we wanted to eventually retire.  In the end our compromise was NH, and last year we bought a house there, although I have yet to retire.

Deciding factors for NH were:
Gun friendly
Low taxes
Topography (we like the mountains)
Rural
Socially moderate
High quality health care (Dartmouth, MGH)

The only negative IMHO is high property taxes, although overall tax burden is low.  FYI, property tax rate varies significantly throughout the state.

Over several years we made multiple trips to NH, vacationing in different parts of the state in summer and winter.  Different regions of the state have their individual and varying personalities.  We choose the New London area.

The law regarding shooting on your property (from memory) is you must be > 300ft from a permanently occupied structure and can't shoot across (? near) a road.  Some developments have there own covenants, so check for those as well.  Having gun friendly neighbors is helpful, and one of mine is not, but this is hard to determine while house hunting.

Regarding the winters: we currently live in TN and it is currently 61 degrees, although that is unseasonably warm .  However, in the summer we have months of hot humid weather.  So pick your poison regarding cold winters or hot summers.

I like AlanD's answer better. I mainly wanted to know about shooting on your own property. I wasn't trying to make anyone badmouth the state. I actually enjoy going there. As far as politics... blue is blue. Maybe we can revisit this if/when there is a school shooting and see what shade of blue NH is afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like AlanD's answer better. I mainly wanted to know about shooting on your own property. I wasn't trying to make anyone badmouth the state. I actually enjoy going there. As far as politics... blue is blue. Maybe we can revisit this if/when there is a school shooting and see what shade of blue NH is afterwards.
View Quote

So are you expecting a school shooting?  Are you waiting for one in NH?  

As for being a blue state goes, yes, we have a Democrat congressional delegation but we just voted in a Republican governor and our house and senate are both Republican controlled as well.  We are likely about to get Constutional carry as well.  We can hunt with suppressors now too.  So go on and denigrate our politics all you want but maybe you should look below the surface before making broad proclamations.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As for being a blue state goes, yes, we have a Democrat congressional delegation but we just voted in a Republican governor and our house and senate are both Republican controlled as well.  We are likely about to get Constutional carry as well.  We can hunt with suppressors now too.  So go on and denigrate our politics all you want but maybe you should look below the surface before making broad proclamations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody expects a school shooting. What I do expect is for Blue States to have more of a  knee jerk reaction. I had Vermont in mind but I guess they never actually got anything through.
If NH continues to have a blue candy shell but the nuts inside are all red, then it's not completely off my list.
Time will tell. The last election was close for a while but ultimately it went with Hillary. IMO that should make anyone nervous.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Watch out for 'Compact Areas'. Usually you know when you are in the middle of a Compact Area as you are surrounded by homes/businesses. But when they define the Compact, sometimes some of the outlying and fringe areas may seem fine for shooting and you may not know they are still part of the Compact. (And don't forget the 300 foot non-shooting perimeter that surrounds the entire Compact...it's also a no-shooting zone).

Discharge Restrictions/Compact Areas (RSA 207: 3-a & 644:13)
  1. It is illegal to discharge a firearm or shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or occupant, or from the owner of the land on which the person shooting the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt is situated. A firearm may not be discharged within 300 feet of any commercial, educational or medical building, or outdoor public gathering place.
  2. Firearms may not be discharged within the compact area of any town or city (any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings used as part time or permanent dwellings where each is within 300 feet of one of the other buildings, plus a 300 foot wide perimeter around all of the buildings).
  3. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt within 15' of the traveled portion of, or across any class I through V highway, or from or across the following public highways (including the rights of way): I-93, I-89, I-95, 293, 393, Rte. 202/9 (from Rte. 114 in Henniker to Rte. 31 in Hillsboro), Rte. 16 (from I-95 to Milton/Middleton town line), Rte. 3/F.E. Everett Turnpike (from Mass. line to Rte. 101 Bedford), Rte. 101 (from Bedford town line to Rte. 1 Hampton).
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Another requirement not being mentioned is that you must be 100' from a road to discharge a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Go west for long range shooting.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another requirement not being mentioned is that you must be 100' from a road to discharge a firearm.
View Quote

Its posted right above you

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt within 15' of the traveled portion of, or across any class I through V highway, or from or across the following public highways (including the rights of way): I-93, I-89, I-95, 293, 393, Rte. 202/9 (from Rte. 114 in Henniker to Rte. 31 in Hillsboro), Rte. 16 (from I-95 to Milton/Middleton town line), Rte. 3/F.E. Everett Turnpike (from Mass. line to Rte. 101 Bedford), Rte. 101 (from Bedford town line to Rte. 1 Hampton).

Where do you get 100'? Hell the warden that taught my hunter safety said it was 15' and its right in the regs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its posted right above you

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt within 15' of the traveled portion of, or across any class I through V highway, or from or across the following public highways (including the rights of way): I-93, I-89, I-95, 293, 393, Rte. 202/9 (from Rte. 114 in Henniker to Rte. 31 in Hillsboro), Rte. 16 (from I-95 to Milton/Middleton town line), Rte. 3/F.E. Everett Turnpike (from Mass. line to Rte. 101 Bedford), Rte. 101 (from Bedford town line to Rte. 1 Hampton).

Where do you get 100'? Hell the warden that taught my hunter safety said it was 15' and its right in the regs.
View Quote

Looks like I was wrong. I wonder if it used to be 100 feet? I swear that's what we were taught back when I took Hunter safety in the 80s. Either that or I am going senile!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nobody expects a school shooting. What I do expect is for Blue States to have more of a  knee jerk reaction. I had Vermont in mind but I guess they never actually got anything through.
If NH continues to have a blue candy shell but the nuts inside are all red, then it's not completely off my list.
Time will tell. The last election was close for a while but ultimately it went with Hillary. IMO that should make anyone nervous.
View Quote

That's not really how our Constitution works.
We have the fourth largest legislative body in the world. (Only US Congress, British Parliament and Indian Parliament are larger.)
Also, it is truly a volunteer legislature, our reps are paid only $200 per year. I am personal friends with both (yes both) of my State reps.
There is also an Executive council that has veto power over the Governor. In other words, things tend to happen very slowly and with great debate.
Sure we have our share of moonbats, EVERY PLACE does. But even many of the Dems up here, don't want the government in their business.

As far as our Congressional delegation is concerned, we probably would've kept the Senate seat as (R) if she didn't turn out to be such a RINO. 

Just some thoughts about our government to consider.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Watch this.
View Quote
I'm a member of the FSP.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The winters are a bit rough but I live on a mountain in a snow belt.  I love NH and have lived in MA, VA, FL, TX, AZ.   I'd live in FL, VA or AZ again but I'd pass on MA or TX.

A Pacific island doesn't sound too bad though either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top