Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 10:10:41 AM EDT
Well figured i would stop on in.  I just got my letter with past week with a report to work date up in Berlin on the 6th at the FCI as a guard.  So i am making my escape from the finger lakes over in NY to a free state.  I know it's pretty desolate up there, but i picked the area for a reason, i love the outdoors, am an avid hiker etc.  Any words of advice from you guys?

Look forward to being with like minded people again
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Berlin is great if you have a job.  I go up that way a few times a year.  Get a snowmobile and motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Berlin is great if you have a job.  I go up that way a few times a year.  Get a snowmobile and motorcycle.
View Quote

Just sold my bike to help with the move and whatnot...but im definitely getting a new one soon
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn to shed the statist attitudes of New York. i came from California and have very much embraced "Live Free or Die". Buy a moose plate and maybe a parks plate or the combo.

Oh and learn to drink Starbucks, you Dunkin people up here are just weird.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well figured i would stop on in.  I just got my letter with past week with a report to work date up in Berlin on the 6th at the FCI as a guard.  So i am making my escape from the finger lakes over in NY to a free state.  I know it's pretty desolate up there, but i picked the area for a reason, i love the outdoors, am an avid hiker etc.  Any words of advice from you guys?

Look forward to being with like minded people again
View Quote

Welcome!

I like desolate, too. But, if you find that going into town in Berlin doesn't quite offer much, you're only about an hour away from North Conway, where you can get a much wider variety of bars, activities, and other social outlets. I'm not too social, I'm cheap and I get tired of tourists pretty quickly, but it's a nice change every now and again. Plus, your drive through Pinkham Notch would be pretty awesome.

You've got Pinkham, Crawford, and Franconia Notch, plus the Kancamsugus Hwy between Conway and Lincoln, within a reasonable driving distance to get to fantastic hiking. Stay away during holiday weekends though. There are so many people on the trails at those times that it's just not enjoyable.

You've got White Mountain Gun and Green Mountain Rifle Barrel in Conway. The owner of GMRB is a member here. Village Gun Store in Whitefield is only about 45 minute from you and is a great store. I don't know what's in Berlin.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Learn to shed the statist attitudes of New York. i came from California and have very much embraced "Live Free or Die". Buy a moose plate and maybe a parks plate or the combo.

Oh and learn to drink Starbucks, you Dunkin people up here are just weird.
View Quote

lol oh i'm no statist don't worry about that

I'm sure i will have more questions, i'm driving up this weekend to hopefully sign a lease and move in the following week, then start that Monday.

Any odd laws to be aware of?

I think ive got the jist of the gun laws.  Permit for concealed(shall issue takes like a week or so, apply locally) all NFA is GTG...can you hunt with suppressors, maybe it was VT that had a thing about that?
Duty to inform?
There is no weird 30 days of being a resident to purchase a pistol right?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You won't be far from LL Cote in Errol, NH
That's a fun store.

Also, hiking galore, so if you're a hiker, you'll love it.
You'll also be near Lake Umbagog. Take a weekend and explore the lake by canoe and camp out at the remote sites (you'll need to reserve which sites first though).
Enjoy! 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm sure i will have more questions, i'm driving up this weekend to hopefully sign a lease and move in the following week, then start that Monday.

I think ive got the jist of the gun laws.  Permit for concealed(shall issue takes like a week or so, apply locally) all NFA is GTG...can you hunt with suppressors, maybe it was VT that had a thing about that?
Duty to inform?
View Quote

CCW permit is on the way out it was already passed the Senate and is in the house. Which has passed previous year but Hassan vetoed it, the new gov has said he will sign it.

No duty to inform of VAC

Once you have NH ID you should be good to go
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Duty to inform?
View Quote

Hunting with suppressors was made legal in June of last year. Open carry is ok until you get your P&R license, but getting into a car is considered concealed. No loaded long guns in or on a motor vehicle, including a boat. Be careful with that last one. Even leaning a loaded rifle against your truck or laying it in the bed for a second will get you nailed. This is one of the few stupid ones. I believe a bill has been introduced this session to fix that on.

Loaded, for purposes of carrying in a vehicle or having a loaded long gun in a vehicle, means chambered or having a loaded mag attached to the gun. Detachable mags next to the gun but not inserted are ok.

No duty to declare but, if you do, most cops will just shrug it off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent, I should* be able to get my NH Id this weekend and I'll apply for the ccw and take care of that.

I'll try that lake out, I have a canoe and spent several years as a guide in the adks... can't wait
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully we have have Constitutional Carry when you get here.so Maine NH and VT will be good to go.
Lots of good fishing within easy distance of Berlin
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Picked out a pretty sweet apartment, in Berlin put my money down and just signing the lease today and faxing it over.   I am moving in on friday or Saturday, and my report to work date is monday 2/6.  As far as the CCW, from what i understand it is very quick, i will submit it as soon as i move lol, and get my NH DL ASAP.

feels so good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Picked out a pretty sweet apartment, in Berlin put my money down and just signing the lease today and faxing it over.   I am moving in on friday or Saturday, and my report to work date is monday 2/6.  As far as the CCW, from what i understand it is very quick, i will submit it as soon as i move lol, and get my NH DL ASAP.

feels so good.
View Quote

I applied with my temp copy of licences and had it in 4 days in the "big town" of Nashua.

They are quick up here.

While I hope that Constitutional passes, I hope permits dont go away because I like the reciprocity the permit gets us. So in the best little girl voice from the tortilla commercials, "Why not both?"
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I applied with my temp copy of licences and had it in 4 days in the "big town" of Nashua.

They are quick up here.

While I hope that Constitutional passes, I hope permits dont go away because I like the reciprocity the permit gets us. So in the best little girl voice from the tortilla commercials, "Why not both?"
View Quote

yes sir, plus i have been scouring arms list for a good deal on a g19 or a g17 and it seems most want to see a P&R license so i might as well get it even if constitutional carry passes...its 10$ lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yes sir, plus i have been scouring arms list for a good deal on a g19 or a g17 and it seems most want to see a P&R license so i might as well get it even if constitutional carry passes...its 10$ lol.
View Quote

It's 10 bucks, AND many other states honor it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#15]
You're also going to like not paying sales or income tax! I hear those are all the rage over in NY. 
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You're also going to like not paying sales or income tax! I hear those are all the rage over in NY. 
View Quote

haha yup they love to fuck ya any way they can
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They are quick up here.

View Quote

The PRL will not be going away. It will not be required to carry in NH anymore. The bill increases the amount of time that it is valid, and I believe it instructs the Secretary of State to actively seek out reciprocity with more states. I'll keep renewing PRL for reciprocity, and because people usually want to see one for private sales so they know that they're not selling a gun to a felon.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Welcome to NH, hope your first week of work is going well.
View Quote

Pretty slow lots of classes and shit, but I'm settled in my place.  I don't have an NH dl yet as the dmv in gorhams computers are all broken...so can't buy anything :( and I'm not out of work in enough time to make it to the next closest dmv.

Ah such is life lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a Chance to run up to LL Cote in Erol, great store!  Picked up a brand new G4 G19 for 450$

took like 10 minutes such a huge difference and i was on my way i love it
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got a Chance to run up to LL Cote in Erol, great store!  Picked up a brand new G4 G19 for 450$

took like 10 minutes such a huge difference and i was on my way i love it
View Quote
Ya just got to love the smell of freedom....
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just sold my bike to help with the move and whatnot...but im definitely getting a new one soon
View Quote

He means get a DIRT bike.  Check out Jericho riding park.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He means get a DIRT bike.  Check out Jericho riding park.
View Quote

Ive been up there a couple times...its pretty sweet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top