Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 8:37:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in Dennis, the next town over. Lived there for 24 years and can't really think of anything exciting to do or places to go. I left the cape 5 years ago and never moving back!

Lots of seafood places around and other restaurants. Take a walk through the marshes at I think a science museum off of 6A. What are you there for?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Dennis native myself, though I rarely return to the Cape.

As Steve said above, the Cape Cod Natural History Museum has a plank walk through the marshes to the bay, free to the public. Kids would like the museum but adults could cover it in an hour.

Not sure if it still exists, but I think it was called the New England Fire and History Museum, also on the north side of 6A (aka westbound lane of 6A), used to be awesome. Tons of visuals for people of all ages, old fire apparatus, old vehicles, tools, and more. I do not recall seeing it the last time I was out there however. There was a lower gravel parking lot, and you had to sort of walk uphill to enter the place.

Orleans Army-Navy, up 6A as well, on the north/eastbound side of the road, just past an Amoco station IIRC. Not sure if they still exist. An eccentric dude my father knew owned it. Used to sell beaten-to-hell Mausers, minus bolts, as kids' toys for $20 or so....wish I understood the potential project in those back in the day! You need to go to the second floor to find the good stuff, the first floor is/was all imported copies of BDUs, silly tshirts, etc.

If you want the full tourist experience, The Lobster Claw restaurant, on 6A (north/westbound side) in Orleans is decent food and service. Far from fine dining, but decent. Typical touristy-looking place with an attached fish market (that I have to admit used to be damned good).

Bird Watchers' General Store, same stretch of 6A in Orleans, was always good for a walk through once a year or so. Tons of odd gifts, something for everyone, not just a place for bird fanatics. The owner's sense of humor plays well into much of the store.

I hate to preface everything by saying "if it still exists", but that's the case! Cinnamon Rainbows, if you like older-school surf and skate culture, used to have a mix of new and used and NOS items from that culture, plenty of which was/is real vintage stuff, on the Orleans/Eastham town line.

If it's not closed for the season, Cobies, on 6A by Nickerson State Park, has pretty good greasy fried food and typically is staffed by lots of scantily-clad female eye candy. Nothing but the fried seafood is good however, they can't even do French fries properly. But the bubbly college girls make up for it :)

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So after getting around two traffic accidents on that main highway stretch going into the Cape which added about 2 hours onto our commute we finally made it.
Walked down to the beach in Brewster. My friend had been told we need to go see Nauset Beach. We drove over there and hung out for bit.
On the way there we passed this place called the Barley Neck. Parking lot was packed. We thought stop there on the way back to eat dinner it must be good. All the tourists are gone and locals must love the place.
Guessed that one wrong. I get better clam chowder from a soup can. The food was very bland. I thought at first it was just me by my friend confirmed the food was not good.
Next day went Chatham and then up to Province Town. Good road trip. And food for the rest of trip.
Stayed at a local B&B that was weird and cool at the same time.

ETA: I saw very few Clinton signs.
View Quote

They say in provincetown if you drop your wallet you better kick that shit all the way back to truro
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So after getting around two traffic accidents on that main highway stretch going into the Cape which added about 2 hours onto our commute we finally made it.
Walked down to the beach in Brewster. My friend had been told we need to go see Nauset Beach. We drove over there and hung out for bit.
On the way there we passed this place called the Barley Neck. Parking lot was packed. We thought stop there on the way back to eat dinner it must be good. All the tourists are gone and locals must love the place.
Guessed that one wrong. I get better clam chowder from a soup can. The food was very bland. I thought at first it was just me by my friend confirmed the food was not good.
Next day went Chatham and then up to Province Town. Good road trip. And food for the rest of trip.
Stayed at a local B&B that was weird and cool at the same time.

ETA: I saw very few Clinton signs.
View Quote
Were you looking for the local Blue Oyster there and found something similar?

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I just had an offer accepted on a house there.  Her family lives there and she's going to stay there while I do some overseas contract work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't put your feet in the water. You might not feel them again.

Get some tall rubber boots and walk out on the low tide area of a public access point to the bay. Unbelievable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top