Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 9:02:06 AM EDT
I figured since we are on the knife topic I would bring up the long gun topic ...

Recently I have been considering keeping a rifle in my vehicle , as we are legally allowed to do so , however there are mixed reviews and multiple thoughts on the legal and correct way to do so.

Rifle/Shotgun obviously would need to be unloaded - in or out of site is ok ? does not need to be locked so I believe .. ?

If a magazine fed rifle/shotgun , magazine/s can be loaded as long as stored separately ? or need to be unloaded and stored with or without the rifle/shotgun ?

I did search this out between here and Northeast Shooters and , unless I am missing some things (which may be the case) , there are many of differences of opinion ...

Anyone have first hand experience , or more insight ? additional considerations ?

Do any / a lot of you guys keep a long gun in your vehicle ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding of the law is as follows.

Transportation is to be to and from range, LGS, Smith, or other lawful destination  (hunting trip or private property).

Mags, moonclips, speedloaders ect. must unloaded in the vehicle.

Ammo must be separate from the locked firearm and itself must be locked. (Locked ammo can in the trunk with locked firearms is ok from what I've been told).

I don't think we can have a SHTF firearm in the vehicle unless you are going someplace "lawful" with it.

Having an M1 Garand with load clips may even put you in violation.

Not a lawyer.

Ask a cop that you know and is pro 2A. In RI, our vehicles are not an extension of our homes.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The way that RI laws currently read, there are no restrictions to carrying a long gun (rifle and/or shotgun) in your vehicle (sorry JCRmx) other than it has to be unloaded. There is no language in any of the current bills that group long guns with handguns (in the context of this thread).

11-47-10
Transporting handguns in a vehicle. Note the absence of long gun (rifle and/or shotgun) from the language.

11-47-11
This law deals with CCW, but in the context of this thread, notice there is no language regarding concealment of long guns. In essence that means you may conceal a long gun in your vehicle without a CCW provided all other laws are followed.

11-47-51
This is the law that states no firearm will be loaded while in a vehicle unless the owner is exempt. The way this law is worded magazines will need to be unloaded as well. That section is pure lawyer speak and imho is open to interpretation. However, it is widely believed that magazines need to be empty as well and that includes while transporting to the range and I'm not going to argue with a police officer about it on the side of the road.

With that said, you are perfectly within the law if you want to keep an AR-15 concealed in your vehicle with a 30 round magazine right beside it. And you may also go so far as to have three loaded stripper clips and a speed loader attached to the magazine with an elastic band. As long as the firearm can not take stripper clips you are within the law keeping the stripper clips charged.

For those who have not been following my annual new firearm legislation thread ...

Every year since I have been paying attention there has been both a House and Senate bill that wants to put the same restrictions on carrying long guns in vehicles as handguns. This language has appeared in it's own bills as well as added to others (such as misdemeanor domestic violence bills).

If it was already illegal to conceal carry a long gun in your vehicle wherever you go in RI, they would not bother with trying to add the same language in new bills.

This year's bills that were introduced and subsequently tabled that had long guns in vehicles language were H7850 and S2565. The same language appears in both bills and reads in part:

" (d) No person shall carry a rifle or shotgun in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about their person whether visible or concealed, except in their dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by them. Every person violating the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section, the person shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension, deferment of sentence, or probation. This subsection shall not apply to those persons engaged in lawful hunting activity as provided in chapter 13 of title 20, lawful target shooting within this state or lawfully engaged in any of the activities authorized by §11-47-9."

Any questions?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I work at a range. Due to some confusion we contacted DEM and the state troopers. Both told us magazines could be loaded. The firearm could not.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I work at a range. Due to some confusion we contacted DEM and the state troopers. Both told us magazines could be loaded. The firearm could not.
View Quote

I like the sounds of that, but were any of them willing to put it in writing? Specifically the top trooper?

I'm not arguing with you, but I shoot with a lawyer that works with some towns and cities who is extremely familiar with RI's firearm laws and he tells me just the opposite.

For now I'm going to err on the side of caution. I would hate to be a test case.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like the sounds of that, but were any of them willing to put it in writing? Specifically the top trooper?

I'm not arguing with you, but I shoot with a lawyer that works with some towns and cities who is extremely familiar with RI's firearm laws and he tells me just the opposite.

For now I'm going to err on the side of caution. I would hate to be a test case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The trooper we talked to was a corporal who we deal with, with gun sales.

Just build an AR pistol and keep it loaded
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have know doubt that I'm wrong (just going by what I've been told.)

If I knew for sure a trunk gun was ok I would do it.

However once the boys and girls on Smith Hill found out we knew it was legal..

They would "fix" it in one week. Faster than they made indoor prostitution illegal.

Remember that one?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is the common interpretation at my place also.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top