Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2017 4:06:34 PM EDT
The Mighty 8th Air Force Musuem in Pooler, Georgia, just north of Savannah, has a nice memorial to the victims of that tragic day.

When I saw it I knew I had to share it with my arfcom friends in Great Britain.

If anyone has familial ties feel free to share the pics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know how I missed this, but thanks for posting.  I had no idea....

Great museum.

I found this thread while looking for an image of the memorial of the crash in which my uncle died in Portpatrick, Scotland:

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that.

There's a moving story over the last few weeks where a man has been tending a memorial to a B17 crew, and he has been doing so for 75 years partly as he feels they lost their lives trying not to kill him.

A BBC reporter saw him tending the site and asked about his story, mentioned it on air and now both US and UK Air Forces are joining for a tribute flypast on the 75th anniversary of the crash next month.

MORE HERE
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I posted this thread almost two years ago!  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for that.

There's a moving story over the last few weeks where a man has been tending a memorial to a B17 crew, and he has been doing so for 75 years partly as he feels they lost their lives trying not to kill him.

A BBC reporter saw him tending the site and asked about his story, mentioned it on air and now both US and UK Air Forces are joining for a tribute flypast on the 75th anniversary of the crash next month.

MORE HERE
View Quote
Thank you Scope-eye.  That's quite the story as well. Is there anything more on Mr. Foulds' story?  The article mentions he thought they crashed to save his life but then gives no more details.  There's certainly a story there with reading of Mr. Foulds has told it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
A few links I've found are below. If you search for "Sheffield B17 crash" it should give you more links.

From the Daily Telegraph

BBC LINK

Another from the BBC

BBC news snippet
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.

He said: “I can remember it clearly to this day. Me and a few mates had a problem with a few other lads from a neighbouring school and we arranged to meet in the park basically to have a fight.

“When we got there we saw the plane circling above the park. The airmen were waving at us, but being young boys we just thought they were waving being friendly. We were only eight.

“But it was them saying ‘get out of the way’. When we didn’t realise he tried to take off again, he tried to rev off. The next thing that happened it went over the trees and there was a huge explosion. Straight into the ground.”
View Quote
Jesus!  I can see why he's so motivated!  

What men those men were.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top