Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 12:12:49 AM EDT
As a gift/vacation to myself for graduating university and before I start my post grad studies, I wanted to spend a month in the UK starting in mid-March.

I've been to London and Leeds before and while I might spend a day or two in London, I would really like to get out and see the countryside. Probably will spend a week in Cornwall despite it being March. Always wanted to rent a canal boat and just hang out so that's on the tentative agenda as well depending on if I can get a rental in the off season.

I'm game for anywhere else except for Northern Ireland.

Really in the early planning phases at this point but wanted to get a rough idea of what I should be hording away in the piggy bank for this trip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in staffordshire , midlands.
If you come by my way i can take you out shooting, clays , rough, vermin and target shooting.
Send me a im when you know where you are going i am on all the gun forums in uk so can post on there if you want do a meet and shoot.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you come by my way i can take you out shooting, clays , rough, vermin and target shooting.

Send me a im when you know where you are going i am on all the gun forums in uk so can post on there if you want do a meet and shoot.

Atb

Mart

View Quote
Appreciate it. Would absolutely love to meet some fellow firearm aficionados while over there.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Appreciate it. Would absolutely love to meet some fellow firearm aficionados while over there.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Atb
Mart

Let me know when you are coming.
Atb
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Canal boat would be great you could get around the whole of the U.K. Falkirk wheel would be good. You'd definitely see a lot of countryside.

Norfolk broads are good for boating but expensive.

If you want countryside in England you want Yorkshire or Lake District.

Depends what you like, you are going south west if you like history and architecture cathedrals and stuff  visit the Roman baths in bath and the cathedral and 'palace' in wells. Castles are all over the place. York is good for a day or two.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Canal boat would be great you could get around the whole of the U.K. Falkirk wheel would be good. You'd definitely see a lot of countryside.

Norfolk broads are good for boating but expensive.

If you want countryside in England you want Yorkshire or Lake District.

Depends what you like, you are going south west if you like history and architecture cathedrals and stuff  visit the Roman baths in bath and the cathedral and 'palace' in wells. Castles are all over the place. York is good for a day or two.

View Quote
Thanks. Canal boat is looking more and more likely. Hits all of my goals for the trip but in particular, getting away from traditional "fat American' tourist haunts were everyone claims they're royalty and drops shitty quotes from Dr. Who, Faulty Towers, etc.

I love my country but I don't love vacationing with my fellow countrymen
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Right well I walk up and down the local canals with the dog  you'll meet a lot of strange folk on the boats, just a warning. :)

See if you can track down a book on canal trips in the uk, that will give you some scenic routes and pubs worth visiting etc.

There is an aqueduct near the Welsh border that would be great to go over in a canal boat.

Aqueduct

Falkirk wheel

Unfortunately owning a canal boat is just a dream for me so I know nothing about them or how long it would take you to get around but at 5mph maximum it's going to be a while so definitely try and find a book or stick to the Norfolk broads.

Also this part is very quiet you'd probably get better response in GD
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
The signal to noise ratio in GD is what I'm trying to avoid. I figured posting in here would keep out the mentally challenged as well as the "I don't need to ever leave the United States, Why should you?" types.

I've been watching Great Canal Journeys and taking notes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The signal to noise ratio in GD is what I'm trying to avoid. I figured posting in here would keep out the mentally challenged as well as the "I don't need to ever leave the United States, Why should you?" types.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good man.

I walk the dog up the chesterfield canal I love it. About the best local to me but there are far more scenic ones around

My only concern for you , not knowing you is that it may be a little lonely. I doubt you'll meet many people.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Theres a canal that runs through sunny stoke, and a airgun shop called dolphin right on the canal. Dont know much about canals other than they not fast ways to get around.
Atb
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Although there are plenty of "out and back" routes, a lot of the canal routes are split into "rings" with an average trip duration, taking into account distance, number of locks, etc. This timing often doesn't take into account any exploration time if you want to check out a local feature, but it's a good starting point for planning your adventure.

The following is a good place to start. It lists a few rings, along with estimated duration and interesting places along the way.

http://www.drifters.co.uk/canal-rings.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top