Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2016 10:51:00 AM EDT
What's the UK perspective on this?

I mean, here we are, months on after they yanked the rights to scads of shows from Hulu and Netflix, and apparently even the option to buy some current shows via Amazon for streaming, and their promised BBC streaming service doesn't exist.  There's quite literally no way to watch any BBC programming (aside from a few shows that make it to our public broadcasting service,) without a cable or satellite pay TV service, which many folks, myself included, have done away with, and more people are dropping them every day.

I mean seriously.  Are they actively trying to ensure that by the time they get around to rolling out a streaming service overseas that no one will subscribe?

I know, first world problems and all, but irritating.  By the time they get around to trying to sell such a service, I fear that the fickle Mrs. McDrinkerbean will have lost all interest in seeing the bloody thing, so if it ain't dirt cheap, I'll have a rough time justifying the expense.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a left wing, naval-gazing, echo chamber that relies on taxation under the pain of imprisonment to force the UK population to pay for it.

There is some excellent programming, but you are going to need to have the taxation killed off first before the talking heads at the top realise that they will have to start selling the global market to remain viable.

As it is, it remains one of the last British Anachronisms and is limited by it's own fear of independence from the government tit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a left wing, naval-gazing, echo chamber that relies on taxation under the pain of imprisonment to force the UK population to pay for it.

There is some excellent programming, but you are going to need to have the taxation killed off first before the talking heads at the top realise that they will have to start selling the global market to remain viable.

As it is, it remains one of the last British Anachronisms and is limited by it's own fear of independence from the government tit.
View Quote

Ah.  So, the short answer to my thread title is "yes."

I mean, I kinda knew all that, particularly about how it is supported (though it seems more centrist than many organizations in the UK from an American perspective,) but hearing it from someone over there just reinforces it I suppose.

I know my experiences with the American market, and my knowledge of how our entertainment market interacts with the rest of the world, have probably slanted me to thinking that certain things should be obvious to the BBC, though in retrospect, especially after your reminder, I should have known better.

So you chaps need to get them off the public tit pronto, so I can get back to watching British TV, darn it!    
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Working on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

A perfect summary of the situation. The licence fee has no place in our modern world, exists for the benefit  of a self serving anachronistic left wing bunch of w*****s  and should be stopped NOW.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A perfect summary of the situation. The licence fee has no place in our modern world, exists for the benefit  of a self serving anachronistic left wing bunch of w*****s  and should be stopped NOW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you have resurrected this thread, let me add, fuck the BBC.

There.  I feel slightly better.

Because even when the dim witted Beeb does launch its American streaming service, classic Dr. Who will not be on it, per sources at the BBC.  So those bloody wankers not only yanked it all off of Hulu over here, they aren't even going to let us pay them to watch it.

I am flabbergasted.  

I mean, seriously.  Do you actively want piracy?  Because this is how you get folks who want to pay you for things, just steal those things from you.  Just sayin'.

ETA: corrected some punctuation to make my meaning more clear
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a couple or so British TV Networks come about because they showed commercials to pay the bills?  I remember from several - 1980's? - years ago seeing at least one come into being.  As I recall the networks first commercial was for Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate.  Considering the years that have past I wonder if that network lasted for more than a couple of years.

I really forget when that Network supposedly came into existence.  I don't know if it even lasted to the end of its first decade.  But isn't there At Least one British TV network that carries commercials in lieu of licenses  If Not RIP
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a couple or so British TV Networks come about because they showed commercials to pay the bills?  I remember from several - 1980's? - years ago seeing at least one come into being.  As I recall the networks first commercial was for Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate.  Considering the years that have past http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/oldtimer.gif I wonder if that network lasted for more than a couple of years.

I really forget when that Network supposedly came into existence.  I don't know if it even lasted to the end of its first decade.  But isn't there At Least one British TV network that carries commercials in lieu of licenses  If Not RIP
View Quote
All the others do. BBC is like the FSA of TV broadcasters....

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Sooooooo.....

How do you watch the commercial networks without paying a License fee
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sooooooo.....

View Quote

I am sure someone over there will correct me if I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that you cannot.  Everyone has to pay the license fee (minus certain exceptions like 65 or 75 years of age or older, not sure which, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am sure someone over there will correct me if I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that you cannot.  Everyone has to pay the license fee (minus certain exceptions like 65 or 75 years of age or older, not sure which, etc.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sooooooo.....

A TV licence is require to watch any tv programme as it is being broadcast or to record it off air.  This means if you watch via online services a licence is needed, however if you use online catch up services eg BBC iplayer service no licenced needed.   More and more people are dumping the tv and going for online catch up services to avoid payin for a licence (like me). The BBC is worried by the loss of licence fee revenue and want a change in the law.  The licence is free for over 75 year olds.

Licence. = noun

License = verb

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A TV licence is require to watch any tv programme as it is being broadcast or to record it off air.  This means if you watch via online services a licence is needed, however if you use online catch up services eg BBC iplayer service no licenced needed.   More and more people are dumping the tv and going for online catch up services to avoid payin for a licence (like me). The BBC is worried by the loss of licence fee revenue and want a change in the law.  The licence is free for over 75 year olds.

Licence. = noun

License = verb

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sooooooo.....

Licence. = noun

License = verb

This is Murica-----we don't use no "c" in license, verb or noun.

And, I take it this never passed?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/06/bbc-iplayer-catchup-users_n_7737080.html
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
"Oh, NO! It's the TV DETECTOR man!"

Oh, wait....we beat that to death in GD last week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Licence fee was originally for a TV receiver and a lot cheaper if you only had a black and white TV (but be careful if you have a VCR as they could still record in colour even if you couldn't watch in colour).

If you are blind you can get about $5 reduction in the fee.

There are many more commercial transmission and cable or satellite channels and they are far superior to BBC for their programming these days but we still have to pay the fee if you are capable of watching live TV (even if not the BBC).
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I love British TV.
Unfortunately it takes 3-4 years to see it here in the Colonies.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love British TV.
Unfortunately it takes 3-4 years to see it here in the Colonies.
View Quote
Cant you stream it ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cant you stream it ?
View Quote
Not easily.  The junk I've seen trying for the BBC at times.  Sooner or later the site I'm trying to stream crashes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cant you stream it ?
View Quote
Can you download bbc i player and disabled your location ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top