Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Were it impartial and still making high quality documentaries then I would have no problem with keeping the license fee.

As it is, it's a horrible bloated left wing leaning corporation who make far too many programmes like "bargain hunters in the attic under the hammer". Also if they are going to waste public money on employing utter fuckwits like Ross and Brand; then they don't deserve public funding.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Were it impartial and still making high quality documentaries then I would have no problem with keeping the license fee.

As it is, it's a horrible bloated left wing leaning corporation who make far too many programmes like "bargain hunters in the attic under the hammer". Also if they are going to waste public money on employing utter fuckwits like Ross and Brand; then they don't deserve public funding.

+1

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

+2

I don't see when there is a free market available for TV we are forced to pay for something we may not want when there are plenty of alternatives oout there.  The TV license served it's place many years ago when the infrastructure was being set up........ now it's a tax on anyone and anything that watches moving pictures.

My Brother in Law has  retruned tfrom the US and moved into a flat.  He has no job just yet and has not bought a TV.  He has no internet access, telephone or computer and isn't going to until he has found a job.  However in the space of three weeks he has had a demand for TV licence fee, a final demand and a threat of prosecution/bailiffs if he doesn't pay.  This despite him phoning to tell them he doesn't own a TV and has no means to watch it if he did have a TV since he has no way of receiving a digital signal (we are fully digital here with no analogue signal).

I say abolish it........cut the BBC loose, let it sink or swim under it's own merit and allow the free market to do it's thing.   Suddenly the only thing keeping the BBC afloat will the the revenue it generates from the anit-liberal Top Gear.  That would be Ironic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
its had its day , time to move on
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

+2

I don't see when there is a free market available for TV we are forced to pay for something we may not want when there are plenty of alternatives oout there.  The TV license served it's place many years ago when the infrastructure was being set up........ now it's a tax on anyone and anything that watches moving pictures.

My Brother in Law has  retruned tfrom the US and moved into a flat.  He has no job just yet and has not bought a TV.  He has no internet access, telephone or computer and isn't going to until he has found a job.  However in the space of three weeks he has had a demand for TV licence fee, a final demand and a threat of prosecution/bailiffs if he doesn't pay.  This despite him phoning to tell them he doesn't own a TV and has no means to watch it if he did have a TV since he has no way of receiving a digital signal (we are fully digital here with no analogue signal).

I say abolish it........cut the BBC loose, let it sink or swim under it's own merit and allow the free market to do it's thing.   Suddenly the only thing keeping the BBC afloat will the the revenue it generates from the anit-liberal Top Gear.  That would be Ironic.

First - nothing and nobody is truely impartial. We are all human ( and corporations ) are made up of same - we are all prone to predjudices and preferences and pet hates, whether overt of sub concious.

As to TV licence proscecutions - tish and pish. The inspectors have no power of entry unless they have very real grounds to believe you have a tv. They send demands to EVERY house as its assumed that every house nowadays has a tv.

The ONLY prosecutions arise when -

You give your name and address to retailer when buying tv ( passed on to TV Licensing )

You are stupid enough to admit ownership of tv or invite the TV Licensing chappie into your house.

The TV can be seen from the street.

Apart from this its impossible to get a warrant and without a warrant and visit, there is nbo evidence.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]
licence? what licence?

Seriously make BBC a pay to view service like SKY,  shouldn't be too difficult when all of the UK is digital.  Once the Beeb starts living in the real world there will be some serious revision of its management structure and their salaries.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Radio 4 is worth every penny of the licence fee in its own right.
But the TV is utter drivel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You are stupid enough to admit ownership of tv or invite the TV Licensing chappie into your house.

Ah Fluffy you've never been to Baldock then. There is such equipment in use which can pinpoint the EMC characteristics of said tv in your house from a vehicle outside.....
And yes it will differentiate between a tv and monitor

Still I voted to sink the BBC
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ah Fluffy you've never been to Baldock then. There is such equipment in use which can pinpoint the EMC characteristics of said tv in your house from a vehicle outside.....
And yes it will differentiate between a tv and monitor

Still I voted to sink the BBC

If you own a house then the tv is probably in your living room and by definition easily visable from the street unless you keep the curtains closed 24/7

IF such equipment was so good, warrants would be issued by the thousand. In fact if it was accepted by by the courts as proof of TV ownership, a warrant would not be needed and a fine would be issued.

BUT the prosecution rate is dismal. For a reason !!

Been to Baldock once. It was emotional.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am not keen on Radio 4 because like much of the BBC it tends to revolve around London, and is largely populated by left leaning academics.  

As far as radio goes, Classic FM is free and is my first choice in car, except when they go on a Chopin piano bender when it is switched off in favour of local radio or a CD.

I agree that BBC TV is utter drivel and would add that the licence fee is a complete rip off.

The Documentaries package from Sky is in my view worth every penny that I choose to pay for it.

I very rarely watch BBC, if I had the choice I would not subsidise them given the current format and political bias. That said some of the wildlife productions are world class, particularly David Attenborough's work.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The BBC's radio output is free-to-air, you don't need a radio licence to listen to a radio.  But the BBC funds its radio output from the TV licence revenues.  The licence money also pays for the i-player and other on-line content.

So a big thank you to all you licence fee (TV tax) payers out there for paying for all those BBC services I'm getting for free

PS you are also paying for the monthly threatening letter I get from them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top