Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 4:22:13 AM EDT
Checked into quite a few "exotic" hire cars (top of the list is the Viper), but found a nice XK8...... Hitting snags with picking up in Florida and dropping off in California?  Most hirers don't like to see their property drive off Thelma and Louise style.

What would be your preferred method of travel?  About 4000 miles (with excusions) over 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Checked into quite a few "exotic" hire cars (top of the list is the Viper), but found a nice XK8...... Hitting snags with picking up in Florida and dropping off in California?  Most hirers don't like to see their property drive off Thelma and Louise style.

What would be your preferred method of travel?  About 4000 miles (with excusions) over 3 weeks.

Nothing beats a larger car for long distance travel, Ford Marquis, Lincoln towncar ect..but they are expensive. As for me, I love pickup trucks. I drive a Chevy Silverado.  Plus you'll fit right in when you hit Texas!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Lincoln Towncar. It'll cost you, but it'll be worth it. Lots of room in the passenger compartment to stretch during long drives, you can comfortably seat multiple passengers for extended periods of time and plenty of trunk space for luggage.

I had a Lincoln Towncar that I used to drive all over the midwest for work. I covered just about all of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Minnesota in that car. Boy do I miss it now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
For a trip that long, I would suggest something like a Ford Escape (midsize SUV).  Enough room and comfortable but won't break the bank.

You may have some problems though with dropping off in a destination other than where you are picking up.  American rental car companies toss on tons of "drop-off" surcharges when you pick up in one state and drop off in the next (or even different location in the same state some times).
If you have a good travel agent, check with them, as they may know of some deals or ways around this.  Hell, I'd like to know of a way around it.

ETA: if you are coming anywhere near Atlanta, GA drop me a line and we'll go shoot some machine guns and chase some "Georgia Peaches", LOL.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a Dodge Magnum, for you and the rest of the Ant-Hill Mob

There's one sat in the carpark right now, and it's very impressive.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Make it interesting.  Get a new one for each state or so.

Be sure to give dates and course.  I am sure members will work out some firearm related entertainment.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You may have some problems though with dropping off in a destination other than where you are picking up.  

We picked up a Chevvy Blazer in Denver last time and dropped off in San Francisco, the company we booked via last year no longer offers this, it seems that only the BIG companies are game.. Hertz, Avis etc......

Not too bothered about the price as trips like this have to be done in style There are only two of us travelling and we generally have only a couple of small cases (took 3 home with us last time)..........

Many thanks for the kind offer of a shoot......
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out Budget.

The Ford Taurus is a good choice, or the Cadillac CTS if you want to spend a little more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
since european countries tax according to engine size displacement rent a vehicle with a v8 engine and enjoy yourself.  you are on vacation after all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
just a thought, but  have you ever considdered a big convertable like a seabring  

just think... top down on a nice sunny day pulling warp speeds on the interstate with the wind in your hair....  

ive done many a long summer ride in mustang convertable. IMO it was fun as hell.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
just a thought, but  have you ever considdered a big convertable like a seabring  

just think... top down on a nice sunny day pulling warp speeds on the interstate with the wind in your hair....  

www.car-buying-strategies.com/2002-photos/2002-chrysler-sebring-convertible.jpg

ive done many a long summer ride in mustang convertable. IMO it was fun as hell.

This is what we drove around Ontario in last year and it was indeed cool.......

At the moment the XK8 is the front runner.......

..... I can't find a dealer that will let a Viper leave their state.......
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.car-buying-strategies.com/2002-photos/2002-chrysler-sebring-convertible.jpg

This is what we drove around Ontario in last year and it was indeed cool.......

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/bunnyassassin/DSCF0381.jpg

At the moment the XK8 is the front runner.......

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/bunnyassassin/jaguar_xk8_us.jpg

..... I can't find a dealer that will let a Viper leave their state.......

hmm a jag,  that could be interesting. Make sure ya smoke the tires before ya leave the lot
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have rented cars in Miami and droped them off as far as Chicago with no extra fees. You may want to check into drop offs from different cities. Miami - Atlanta. Atlants texas. Who knows it may work.

If you want to shoot Machineguns in Miami? shoot me me a line too. I have this puppy you can try out.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]
NW?

The wife is now trying to convince me that we should set off from the West coast and finish with 4 relaxing days in Disneyland (her goal, not mine)...... I have a "go" from Hertz on the XK8 but setting off from California may offer more choice that Florida?

The book is far from closed on route, and will be making more enquiries with regards to the Californian rental situation...

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
NW?

The wife is now trying to convince me that we should set off from the West coast and finish with 4 relaxing days in Disneyland (her goal, not mine)...... I have a "go" from Hertz on the XK8 but setting off from California may offer more choice that Florida?

The book is far from closed on route, and will be making more enquiries with regards to the Californian rental situation...

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming.

If you come through Texas, then be sure and stop in Dallas. We'll have a dinner for you guys, get the whoel crew together, maybe take you shooting or at least to a gun show.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#18]
4000 miles is a long time siiting on your arse.
Get something big, comfy and freeway fast. Caddy 4 door 300hp V-8 (26mpg)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top