Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 6:48:23 PM EDT
I need some help. My wife is a model and has been offered a very attractive sum to do a fashion show in London. I am trying to find out if this company is legit and have not turned up anything on google. I'm not sure how to find this info. Does anyone out there have any idea how to verify the information?

Here is the name and address:
NewDawn Fashion Modelling Inc
123 Woolwich High Street
London SE18 6BE
United Kingdom

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Companies House website and do a company search. If you want to buy the accounts/ annual returns follow the instructions. The accounts/annual returns cost £1 and you download them from the internet. A look at those (assuming the company exists. Companies House is a record of ALL UK companies) will tell you if it is legit or is just a shell company with naff all going on... i.e. a scam.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The post code does comply with the address however i would get a contact number and also ask them to send details of the agency and previous work to you via email.
It would also be best if she does not go alone as this could be asking for trouble.
I also could not find it on the web however this does not mean they are dodgy. If you could get a contact number then maybe one of us on this forum could call them for you to save on the phone bill.
Common sense prevails!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet that Interpol would like to have our rescource's at their disposal, Have a question about a Co. post it on the relevant board, and in no time at all, feed back..

I like it here, through our common interest in a hobby, we are prepared to help people half a world away & further.

BTW. my yellow page's search produced nothing either.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#5]
It is very simple if the company is not legit, then we will send the boys round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sintec
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The phone is: 00442071012244 for the company.

I am checking them out now and thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The phone is: 00442071012244 for the company.

I am checking them out now and thanks for the help!

That's not a Woolwich phone number, it's an Inner London number and Woolwich isn't in Inner London.

Also, Woolwich isn't the type of place where you would find a quality fashion house

Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked with Companies House (if this is the site you are refering to: http://www.duport.co.uk/companies-house.htm?source=google (made it hot)

And I get nothing....

I called Greenwich Trading Standards and was told that basically that their databases were confidential and they really couldn't help me. Maybe I just asked the wrong questions.

If anyone would phone them maybe ask for details on the fashion show for Feb 21-26 and let me know if it sounds fishy. 00442071012244 Mr Rodney Billingsley is the project director. I will also give them a call and see what I can find out, but my number will come up on caller ID as from the states.

I have asked them if they are members of any Trade or Fashion Associations. And for some more company details.

Again thank you for the help!!!! If this is real it could boost her career, so I don't want to miss out on a legitimate opportunity, but neither do I want to put her in ANY kind of danger either.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Good find Andy.
According to ACR26, that is one of those scam numbers and if you ring it, you'll be charged £90/min

Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Those scam numbers don't exist, well they do but not at that price.

Number dont exist where you as a customer get charged above a certain band of prices, I think its £9 a min, not 90.

Anyway, the number is a local call access for a dialling card, so you'd just get an automated answering machine asking for codes as per andy posted above.

Man, that was quite some googling mind......

Good Job!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone IM'ed this info to "Dread-Pirate"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info. I'm doing a little more research so that I can warn others about this. There are some modeling MB's that have scam warnings. I have a buddy who is a PI also looking into it, but being across the pond makes it alittle more difficult.

And because someone asked here is her model profile link to avoid any BOTD rules.

Most of the modeling scams are photographers looking to rip off new models or get into their pants. This one raised some red flags, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated!!!!

If anyone needs a similar favor in the states I am involved with a number of PI firms and can get the skinny on just about anyone over here, so IM me if you need this type of help in the states!

ETA: Fixed Link
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
WOW....A very attractive young lady!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:38:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried the link but just got the login page.

It would seem that these gangster's need sorting out.

Toe.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
WOW....A very attractive young lady!

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I tried the link but just got the login page.

It would seem that these gangster's need sorting out.

Toe.

Definitely sorted now........ Very nice indeed!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Update?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Another thing that jumps out is the 'Inc' on the company name - we don't use that in the UK
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#21]
UPDATE:

After looking for conformation from them about trade associations, prior models etc, they refused to answer any other questions. So it is safe to say that they are a scam!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like you made the wise decision.
I hope your wife has more luck with her modelling.

Taffy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top