Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:16:45 AM EDT
From today's Times

London 2012  

The Times January 16, 2006

Gun ban 'damaging Olympic hopes'
By Valerie Elliott
Campaigners are seeking a change in the law to boost Britain’s medal chances

MINISTERS are under growing pressure to relax a ban on handguns to allow Britain’s champion shooters to train for the Olympic and Commonwealth Games.  

Full Link

Richard
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting....doesn't mean anything will happen though...

I think the most likely scenario will be that shooters will be able to use pistols during the games, and only during the games. After that everything will be back to what it is now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm 'X'ing my finger's for you, At least it was in a decent paper and not in the scum.

Toe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
ANdy, you say due course...can you explain a little more? It sounds great, but would you be able to compete with say, walther P22's, or would it be limited to 'competition' type .22's?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In due course we will see Section 5's for IPSC 'approved' .22's (maybe .32's as well) for registered competitors shooting under NRSA auspices in competitive competitions. So no plinkers or .44 magnum hand cannons.

No change in the law is required, zilch, nada, the Home Sec can grant a Section 5 on his say so. There are enough out there already.

ANdy

Hand Cannon? It's not that bad.....

I can't see them changing anything, especially for a minority of Olympic hopefuls.  

I too, am crossing stuff, but not holding my breathe...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The problem is that it's such an EMOTIONAL subject for most sheeple, there will be almost no logical, objective decisionmaking when it comes to allowing us shooters access to anything in semi-auto handgun format....especially with all the crimnality in the UK. It's a shame people can't see that the ban has had 0% effect on criminals using guns...if they want them, they'll get them, easy enough.

If we want guns as law-abiding citizens, we have to jump through more hoops than circus poodles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
@ JohanLondon, the P22's have a crap trigger, and in the std version the barrel is to short for any serious tgt shooting, just my €0,02 worth. You would be better off with the Sig mosquitto.

Tony
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the government be 'brave' enough to actually make a decision on this ?  
Does Fungus at the Home Office have a clue ?
If they do, will it only be for the Olympic 'elite' or can we all have a go ? Afterall I could be the next Mick Gault  !
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
@ JohanLondon, the P22's have a crap trigger, and in the std version the barrel is to short for any serious tgt shooting, just my €0,02 worth. You would be better off with the Sig mosquitto.

Tony

Thanks, very nice looking rimfire pistol that SIG! Would be a great plinker!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh my....and the HK's are bee-ootiful too!

Drool alert
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Your welcome, If you would be able to rough it and make do with my humble Hamerli Exesse, come pay me a visit. I have other low grade gun's too, colt's, glock's BHP, you name it . I either have it or know someone who has it and can eventually borrow.

Toe
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your welcome, If you would be able to rough it and make do with my humble Hamerli Exesse, come pay me a visit. I have other low grade gun's too, colt's, glock's BHP, you name it . I either have it or know someone who has it and can eventually borrow.

Toe

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Theres a little bit of info on the dunblane report in the Feb edition in gun mart , although mostly its about the archives in scotland, and how the 100 act was lifted. With the main info they have got from the dicolsure of the dunblane enquiry being in nexts months gun mart.

Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top