Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 6:50:48 PM EDT
First off I want to say Hello to everyone. I was pointed this way from the General Discussion forum.

I need some help/advice in regards to self defense in London. My fiancee is going over to study in Westminster for ~5 months and I am kind of afraid for her safety, because she will be all alone and has no friends/family over there if anything happens. I want to get her something that she can use to protect herself is needs be. I know the weapons laws can be a bit strict over there in comparisson to over here so I want to make sure everything is legal and sound.

I was thinking of getting her a can of Fox Spray but I don't know how legal that would be. What exactly would be ok for a US student to have/use in London? Any suggestions are welcome at this point because I just want to make sure she is safe. If this is an inappropriate question, I am sorry, but I had to ask.

Thank you for any help you can give/offer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what Fox spray is, but if it's a CS or Pepper spray then it would be a big no for that. (Doubt it would even get though the airport.) The only spray I've seen that's legal is the dye/marker type. Other than that, there are only the personal attack alarms that'll be readily available.

Generally speaking, if you are carrying something specifically for use as a weapon (even for self-defence), you'll be in the wrong....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry too much, London's not that bad. As long as she's careful not to go out on her own after dark, or keep to the main routes she'll be fine. I'm sure her class mates will soon tell her where it is unadvisable to go, and on the whole it'll be obvious what areas should be kept away from.

There's a young shooter from Az coming over to study, and she's at the same college IIRC, so your fiancee be in good company.

Regards
Matt
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep off the Moors
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Why should she feel the need to be responsible for defending herself in the UK anyway?????

We all know Tony Blair and the politicials are there to protect the us day to day (Maybe even the boys from the UN will make sure we are safe when walking home in the evenings. Of course they can't trust us to take care of ourselves. I mean, carrying something for self defense in the UK is a big no-no as you may possibly cause harm to some poor thug or mugger....I mean, they have human rights too!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top