Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 2:05:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had it with the Jocks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Deleted.....Moderator

Last time I checked Scotland in NOT England...

....and if you want to post insults about Britain please do it in GD - NOT here...

ANdy UK Mod
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn ...I missed that one.

You kickin Ass Andy? It's a shame there's no "Pit" for us to roast him in anymore.

Taffy

It's not the England Forum ...It's UK ....could we vote out the Scots?
The England, Wales and N Ireland Forum?...j/k

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:It's a shame there's no "Pit" for us to roast him in anymore.

Taffy

Arfcom is just like Wales..................in both places the pits are closed

Mark
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:It's a shame there's no "Pit" for us to roast him in anymore.

Taffy

Arfcom is just like Wales..................in both places the pits are closed

Mark

INCOMING!

It doesn't matter where you go, the politicians screw it up.

I like Scotland, and most Scots I've met, but then they were mostly shooters, hunters and the like.  Lucky Scots, they get their own parliament (they even voted for it! - more politicians) and power-crazed ignoramuses, flushed with success at the first chance at playing with the lives of ordinary people, take over and "have to make a difference".

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't it baffling how some people seem to think, regardless of nationality, that adding more government to their lives will somehow make them "better off"?

We still crank out new cities here in the U.S. when enough yuppies and soccer moms move out to the stix and decide that they'd like to play government for day (or a bunch of days) and the sheep follow in tow.

Stupidity is truly a universal concept that knows no national boundaries, unfortunately.

On a happier note though it's a short work week on this side of the pond so cheers!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Andy,

Thanks much for the link to the article.   I knew that the UK had taxes on par with American property taxes (council taxes) but the fact that it was rooted in Feudalism and actually codified into law is pretty mind numbing.  Shows just how fucked up some places/people are polititcally.

In practice though, it's not much different than the affects of property taxes and zoning here in the states.  Essentially, you may own your property and have what's supposed to be a Common Law legal system for redress, but having said that, if anyone in America thinks they really own their property, they can try NOT paying property taxes and see what happens.  If you're lucky they put a lien on it which get's paid through the courts when it sells; most municipalities and gov.org entities will sieze property for back taxes and sell it at auction and you'll never see a penny.  And zoning in America is probably the most corrupt, far reaching tool of the petty bureaucrat because,  in effect, gov.org at all levels can and will tell you what you can and cannot do on the property you supposedly own.

Add all that on to our recently Supreme Court decision concerning eminent domain and gov.org seizing private property for private, commercial ventures and well it's all pretty shitty.  We may not have a feudal code here but we've done our best to create one.

Which just proves my original point that stupidity knows no nationality or political boundaries, though some places are beyond hope (like the Middle East) and that's a whole other conversation.  

Cheers!

Marty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top