Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
ok now for a technical question for the UK staight pullers (I'm sure there's a highpower motto in there somewhere)

What kind of ammo you guys using?
are you reloading?
If so what bullets/powders are you using?

I get the impression that due to the fast twist of these rifle heavier heads may be more accurate, anybody got any info on this?

and on a legal issue can I build ammo with hollow points without "expanding amunition" on my FAC?

cheers

Taffy

Taffy,
The heavier bullets won't necessarily be any more accurate than the lighter ones, but theywill cheat the wind better as the distance increases.
We're mostly using reloads, and that usually means Sierra bullets.
With the fast twist barrels, ie, 1-7" & 8" twists, the preferred bullet weights are 75 and 77grains.
Most of us shoot 77gn Sierra Matchkings. These rule the roost. No doubt.
As for powders for these bullets, Reloder 15 is favourite, but you can use Viht N140,540 Varget, Tac and plenty of others.
You might want to try 69gn Sierra's or if all you're shooting is short distances, then 52 gn Sierra Matchkings and Hodgdon H335 (psst, 25gns but don't tell anyone.)

And no, you can't make hollowpoint ammo, unless they're hollowpoint match bullets.
Besides, there aren't many dealers who';ll sell you expanding bullets without them being on your license.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might as well have a left handed Remi for a lot less money… unless of course someone makes a left handed Enfield NoIV or KAR98k

ANdy

You have no taste

Mark

Hey! We all saw 'Enemy at the Gates'…

Well, a  WWII service rifle is only good for @2-4" groups at 100yds…but I never cease to be amazed how many people believe they were all sooper accurate!

ANdy

You're left handed, seen Saving Private Ryan? Remember Jackson the sniper with the Springfield?
He was a leftie and the gun was right handed. I have one exactly the same as that.
You can come along and use it if you wish, I don't mind.
And then you can take those "Hollywood shots"

Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ex-Highpower shooter (sorry Mark, the airsoft pistols are just too enticing hough.
SteveA

Is that you "Self"? I didn't know you hung out herehock.gif

Working on the ammo thingy

Mark

Marky Mark,
I hang out in a number of internet forums you do not know about.
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Given the choice of being the latest 'shock horror!!! householder stabbed to death' story on the front of the tabloids or arguing the toss in court afterwards… I think I might opt for the latter… 7 years for 'assault with a firearm' or dead forever……

while I agree with this statement and I too would rather be alive

I've a family member in SO19 and he says for anyone to use "reasonable force with a firearm" the bad guy would have to be armed and if the threat level was to produce a reaction where someone would need to use a firearm to defend themselves that armed threat would realy need to be a firearm.

Sounds like a classic Police 'perfect world' statement,

"you can't point a gun at him Sir unless he's armed"

"how will I know if he's armed"

"Wait till he shoots you"……

I would love to live in the 'country' our Police and Courts live in… it must be nice there…

ANdy
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's it… i'm off to kill some defenceless paper!

ANdy

10 in each at 25m prone, CCI minimags,  with irons…
… maybe time to buy a decent trigger too…

Any suggestions on better ammo with the M261?  Minimags are not too accurate, but I tried the usual .22 stuff and it gets indigestion…
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/10ineach.jpg

Any suggestions on better ammo with the M261?  Minimags are not too accurate, but I tried the usual .22 stuff and it gets indigestion…

Tried any of the Eley stuff.
It's pretty accuraate in my Ceiner Accuracy Speaks upper but I find it a bit greasy.
Matt/Scope-Eye has a M261 upper, he might know

Mark
ps, since I discovered this forum, I'm in danger of becoming a post whore, just like you Andy

BTW if you're shooting like that with your .22AR, you should try some .22 Highpower.
It's challenging
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/10ineach.jpg

Tried any of the Eley stuff.
It's pretty accuraate in my Ceiner Accuracy Speaks upper but I find it a bit greasy.

Mark
ps, since I discovered this forum, I'm in danger of becoming a post whore, just like you Andy

BTW if you're shooting like that with your .22AR, you should try some .22 Highpower.
It's challenging

I need more practice…

ANdy
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Mark

Thanks for the reloading data. The question about the hollow points was about match grade not hunting. We've been reloading home cast lead bullets and have now managed some great groups at 50m compared to when we started. We now want to try pushing to some longer distances. I've had a couple of good days with iron sights at 300m using surplus ball. But when stretching out to 600m and beyond I was having no luck. I do nead to invest in a tidy scope but cash is pretty elusive at the moment. (aint it always) I've harped on about trying to get a Chip Mccormick trigger but resigned myself to the fact it ain't gonna happen.
But I have to improve on the standard one.
Any recomendations to budget quality triggers....

I'm glad this forum has sparked to life. The info aquired here is more useful to me than in the main AR sections. There is some interesting topics out there but nothing straight puller related

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The question about the hollow points was about match grade not hunting....

Cheers

Taffy

I don't think that the Sierra MatchKings are considered to be expanding ammunition. The hole in the end is a by-product of the manufacturing, rather than to make them expand more...

A good budget AR trigger is the Rock River 2 stage. Drops straight in (even I managed to fit one!) and is a massive improvement over the standard trigger. I bough mine from eBay for about 55 quid.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

Taffy

I don't think that the Sierra MatchKings are considered to be expanding ammunition. The hole in the end is a by-product of the manufacturing, rather than to make them expand more...

A good budget AR trigger is the Rock River 2 stage. Drops straight in (even I managed to fit one!) and is a massive improvement over the standard trigger. I bough mine from eBay for about 55 quid.

Nick

What Nick says is true, the Rock River triggers are excellent, but I've not had much luck with them in a .22 upper.
You can buy them new for about 100 quid, there's not much else that's cheaper.
You  can modify the std trigger, but it aint easy. I've done it myself but can't guarantee it.

Hope this forum will grow
Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
nice one guys, that's cleared a few things up for me.
I know ebay's rules changed just recently regarding gun parts and mags over 10 round capacity so maybe I'll have to try elsewhere.

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the lighter 4.5lb springs and a polish up worth the bother on the standard AR trigger?

BTW Mark… have you lot considered making a 25-30 round mag for the M261's?  Guy has some ideas on were he's headed, (off the shelf Ruger type mags with an adapter) but he's bogged down in military orders…

And Taff……Full Auto! Don't even go there in Britain! get you 8 years sewing practice!  

Shame tho, seems easy enough to get M16 trigger groups in Germany, Full auto and 3 round burst ones…
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]

but I've not had much luck with them in a .22 upper....
You can buy them new for about 100 quid...

My Rock River 2 stage is in the .22 - no problems yet...

The 55 quid was a new price from RB Precision (When they used to sell on eBay...)

Nick
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are the lighter 4.5lb springs and a polish up worth the bother on the standard AR trigger?

BTW Mark… have you lot considered making a 25-30 round mag for the M261's?  Guy has some ideas on were he's headed, (off the shelf Ruger type mags with an adapter) but he's bogged down in military orders…

And Taff……Full Auto! Don't even go there in Britain! get you 8 years sewing practice!  

Shame tho, seems easy enough to get M16 trigger groups in Germany, Full auto and 3 round burst ones…

The M16 trigger groups are the easy part.
Those on their own won't make your rifle full auto, even in a .22.
There's much more work involved including extra parts and machining of the receiver.
It's out of the question, unless you want to be some inmates bitch

Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

but I've not had much luck with them in a .22 upper....
You can buy them new for about 100 quid...

My Rock River 2 stage is in the .22 - no problems yet...

The 55 quid was a new price from RB Precision (When they used to sell on eBay...)

Nick

When I put one in my .22 it wouldn't reset.
I had to cut one of the hammer spring legs off
Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They might help a bit.
Ther problem lies in the sear angle cut on the hammer.
If you split the receivers so that you just have the lower then cock the hammer. Then if you slowly pull the trigger and watch the hammer you will see that it's trying to cock itself even more before it releases.
What you have to do is reduce the angle so it just falls off the sear.

I'll tell you more later, i'm going to beddy-byes now, it's 10 past midnight.
Nighty-night
Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M16 trigger groups are the easy part.
Those on their own won't make your rifle full auto, even in a .22.
There's much more work involved including extra parts and machining of the receiver.
It's out of the question, unless you want to be some inmates bitch

Mark

uuugh!
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#18]
my mention of "fully auto" was a little irony courtesy of our laws. I was by no means serious.

perhaps I could get my wife to have a go tho....

She needs the sewing practice....
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mark

VITO

Are these the Ray-Vin targets? If they are, the last time I shot a reduced high power practice at them at 25yds I scored a 99 slow prone, and a 97 rapid prone. It was a good thing I had a spotter as the raggedy hole was impossible to score. That was using CCI minimag and shooting the whole thing magazine fed.

Eley match seems to be an excellent round from the 261 kit as long as you wipe the lube off the heads first, but I've been getting excellent results from the Minimags that I can't be bothered to go through the whole bullet cleaning thing.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

Taffy

Nick

The whole point about the Section 5 expanding ammo is 'was it designed to expand?'
If the answer is YES then it's a no go unless you have the authority (and you'll not be allowed to shoot them on nearly all approved ranges!), but if you can convince yourself in the first instance and then the police, if needs be, that they weren't designed to expand (doesn't matter by how much they do expand if at all) then you're OK to reload.

I've heard that this part of the Act is under review as unworkable and irrelevant to public safety/security.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark

Are these the Ray-Vin targets?

Yes…

If they are, the last time I shot a reduced high power practice at them at 25yds I scored a 99 slow prone, and a 97 rapid prone. .

Show off!

Matt

The last batch of Minimags was very good… but I'm not too convinced with this latest batch I bought…

Do you use the standard rear sight or a smaller peephole? …I may just put the Aimpoint back on…

I need to do something with the trigger though… it is very stiff/heavy and can't be helping accuracy.

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard that this part of the Act is under review as unworkable and irrelevant to public safety/security.

Matt

Never happen! The Home Office admit they were talking out of their arses!… no way Jose!

Next you will be telling me they have realised that banning Full Bore Semis was irrelevant to public safety/security and the same with handguns…

This is Britain Matt!… ban it all!…… and keep it banned is the name of the game!  Look at Brocock air pistols!

I've got a super deadly .177 Brocock on my ticket! Even the FEO was embarresed as hell inspecting that 'deadly' weapon.

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting post - Why you should not re-load Federal 5.56mm cases :-

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=9&t=316512
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#24]
From the Mirror today

YOU CAN KILL BURGLARS

Feb 2 2005

By Jeff Edwards Chief Crime Correspondent

THE new guide to tackling a burglar makes it clear what you can and can't do.

As Home Secretary Charles Clarke stressed it was "the right of every British citizen" to protect himself, his family and property". Acting "honestly and instinctively" is now the key.

The leaflet from the Association of Chief Police Officers and the Crown Prosecution Service was aimed at ending confusion in the wake of high-profile cases such as that of Tony Martin.

It said: "You are not expected to make fine judgments over the level of force you use in the heat of the moment.

"So long as you only do what you honestly and instinctively believe is necessary...that would be the strongest evidence of you acting lawfully and in self-defence.

"This is still the case if you use something to hand as a weapon." A police source said: "If someone was trying to kill you with a gun, knife or an axe, for instance, you would be legally within your rights to shoot him if you had a legally held gun handy."

"HANDY"...hmmmm so we don't need to lock em up now?...and we can keep em loaded too

I think not

any comments?

Taffy

Link Posted: 2/3/2005 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Show off!he
Do you use the standard rear sight or a smaller peephole? …I may just put the Aimpoint back on…

I need to do something with the trigger though… it is very stiff/heavy and can't be helping accuracy.

ANdy

The point I was making was the Minimag ammo should be up to the job.

On the 22 I use a standard rear peep-hole and an A1 round fore-sight post trimmed down to a fraction under 50thou (0.050"). This rear sight aperture is too large for my outdoor preference but it's just right indoors. I tried a Bob Jones variable rear aperture and I found the standard rear sight aperture size was fine.

A rough trigger will not help accuracy at all.  Those groups of yours would score almost as well with a small adjustment to the sights/sight-picture, and with a decent trigger you'dmost likely loose the few fliers. Next thing you know you'll be a shooting god, just like streetfighter thinks he is.

queue, one flame-war! Matt
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Next thing you know you'll be a shooting god, just like streetfighter thinks he is.

I am.

And you all know it.
Hell, even one internationally famous shooter, gunsmith and OIF veteran called me his personal shooting hero

It must be true. Even I believe it

Mark (I'll be your hero too, if you want)
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Next thing you know you'll be a shooting god, just like streetfighter thinks he is.

I am.

And you all know it.
Hell, even one internationally famous shooter, gunsmith and OIF veteran called me his personal shooting herohero

Hey, the same guy said "all the best machine-gunners are left handed" and I had the bruises to show for it.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[ANdy

The point I was making was the Minimag ammo should be up to the job.

On the 22 I use a standard rear peep-hole and an A1 round fore-sight post trimmed down to a fraction under 50thou (0.050"). This rear sight aperture is too large for my outdoor preference but it's just right indoors. I tried a Bob Jones variable rear aperture and I found the standard rear sight aperture size was fine.

A rough trigger will not help accuracy at all.  Those groups of yours would score almost as well with a small adjustment to the sights/sight-picture, and with a decent trigger you'dmost likely loose the few fliers. Next thing you know you'll be a shooting god, just like streetfighter thinks he is.

queue, one flame-war!

Matt

Minimags are my 'friend'… now if I can just persuade someone to design/make a 25-30 round mag for the 261…

It was me with the aiming point, pain killers and the cold don't help!… off a bench rest it was shooting nice groups in the 10's when I adjusted it a while back…

A shooting God you say!!!!… I'm regarded by most people at the club as the Spawn of Satan for using one of the Evil Black Rifles……

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

"This is still the case if you use something to hand as a weapon." A police source said: "If someone was trying to kill you with a gun, knife or an axe, for instance, you would be legally within your rights to shoot him if you had a legally held gun handy."

I had a similar conversation some  while back with an FEO… yes you 'can' use the weapon, providing…… you thought he was armed, you had to load it, you fired only one shot, the hole was in the front of him…

Now that's a problem with a rifle as you have to keep the ammo and rifle in seperate locked safes… so a shotgun, as it has much less restrictive storage requirements and is very quick and easy to load a shell into, is probably the only firearm you could really get away with saying, "I grabbed it and shot him with it". I don't think using an AR or any magazine fed weapon will be looked on 'favourably' as it takes a disparate sequence of actions to ready the weapon for use.…

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
funny that me and Ritchie tend to get the same "black looks" when the black rifles come out to play...but in their defence they do enjoy their muzzle loading. But don't whaddever ya do call em "blunderbusses"

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
funny that me and Ritchie tend to get the same "black looks" when the black rifles come out to play...but in their defence they do enjoy their muzzle loading. But don't whaddever ya do call em "blunderbusses"

Taffy

F**kin 'Charcoal Burners' they are some of the worst Range Nazis…

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a similar conversation some  while back with an FEO… yes you 'can' use the weapon, providing…… you thought he was armed, you had to load it, you fired only one shot, the hole was in the front of him…

Now that's a problem with a rifle as you have to keep the ammo and rifle in seperate locked safes… so a shotgun, as it has much less restrictive storage requirements and is very quick and easy to load a shell into, is probably the only firearm you could really get away with saying, "I grabbed it and shot him with it". I don't think using an AR or any magazine fed weapon will be looked on 'favourably' as it takes a disparate sequence of actions to ready the weapon for use.…

ANdy

I'd chuck one of my nippers nappies at em.....eeergh lethal force be buggered
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taffy

F**kin 'Charcoal Burners' they are some of the worst Range Nazis…

ANdy

so we're not the only ones watched over by the Range Nazi's I'm glad of that...sort of

[email protected]'ll try that one with em next
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]
jeez some of the post are pretty close together time wise.....shame we did't have a chat room as part of the site..
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#35]
There is 'chat' on the site……

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Andy as you are a team member perhaps you could shed some light on a few quieries for me

1. Is it possible for a member to keep track of posts they have made in a topic thread ? . I can keep track of threads I have started but can I quickly find a thread I have posted on. In some of the topics like General discussion one may have to wade through pages and pages to find a thread

2. What real benefits have you found by becoming a team member?

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

ANdy

see I did not even know that...where would I find it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

see I did not even know that...where would I find it?

Under 'Tools & Services'…
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Andy as you are a team member perhaps you could shed some light on a few quieries for me

1. Is it possible for a member to keep track of posts they have made in a topic thread ? . I can keep track of threads I have started but can I quickly find a thread I have posted on. In some of the topics like General discussion one may have to wade through pages and pages to find a thread

2. What real benefits have you found by becoming a team member?

Cheers

Taffy

Yes; you can track threads you have started, threads you have posted in and active (new) threads.

Advantages of 'team member'……

You get an Avatar like my Parrot! and the option to post a sigline…

And you get a search function… very useful!

You also get access to the 'Clubhouse' which is a pretty civilised place for a discussion… no trolls and assholes allowed!

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Andy

I've found the chat room area and had a mare trying to get it do something....I did enter a handle but could do nothing else, then re-entered and it kept skiping the "enter username" thingy and I could not do anything at all. I've latest directX and have installed lastest flash/macromedia.
hmmm.....any tips?

I did try out the search option...seemed ok even though it did not allow search of "general discussion" and the 30 day limit. Spose ya gotta keep back the tidy functions for team members I realise that.

but where.....do I search for threads that I have posted in?

cheers

Dull Taffy
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#41]
WOW more brits on here,

Nice to know more people out there with love for the black rifle!!

James
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
WOW more brits on here,

Nice to know more people out there with love for the black rifle!!

James

Welcome to our little world

Mark
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Thankyou :)

James
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Dare I mention the rugby?......"smug mode"

Taffy

Link Posted: 2/8/2005 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Andy

I've found the chat room area and had a mare trying to get it do something....I did enter a handle but could do nothing else, then re-entered and it kept skiping the "enter username" thingy and I could not do anything at all. I've latest directX and have installed lastest flash/macromedia.
hmmm.....any tips?

I did try out the search option...seemed ok even though it did not allow search of "general discussion" and the 30 day limit. Spose ya gotta keep back the tidy functions for team members I realise that.

but where.....do I search for threads that I have posted in?

cheers

Dull Taffy

'membership' has it's privileges…
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#46]
so does "Rank"....
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
so does "Rank"....

Ideed it does… that's why I went to sea as an Occifer!

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey Guys,

Any idea where i might be able to purchase one of those pretty magpul telescopic carbine stocks?

infact ive not seen much of the stuff in the AR furom making it across to the uk,

any ideas?  

James,
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

Any idea where i might be able to purchase one of those pretty magpul telescopic carbine stocks?

infact ive not seen much of the stuff in the AR furom making it across to the uk,

any ideas?  

James,

James,
I've got a Magpul stock, probably the only one in the UK
I was lucky enough to get it before Magpul changed their export policy.
Actually it is US State Dept. policy, because as it's classed as a gunpart and has a value over $100, you now need an export license to get one.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Unless you know someone going Stateside

Mark
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Whats it like??>

Do you like it??

I NEED ONE!!!! preferably in black!!

Shame ebay have done the dirty on us too!!

James
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top