Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2017 7:52:38 AM EDT
I usually have been hunting the Gila and Zone 16 for years, but this year, I drew 34. Any tips of where to go it will be for deer/rifle, end of October. Been scouting a little, but still not really familiar with the area. I see there are a lot of tags drawn, but it doesn't seem like there is a lot of room for that many people!!!

Any tips or hints will be appreciated if you feel like sharing, Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not deer hunted in 34, so I don't have any suggestions for places.  Monstermuleys.comhas a New Mexico forum that may be helpful.  Just be careful about how you ask.  People have been asking about places to hunt ever since the draw results came out.  And people have been getting a little punchy about giving advice.

Good luck on your hunt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to Cloudcroft and turn down the sunspot hwy, tons of forest roads for 20 or so miles. The Alamo peak road has some good spots too. I got a buck and 2 cow elk around there when I lived in NM.

There are way more elk than deer. You'll be lucky to even see a buck
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, it is tough to give out info for places you like to hunt, you dont want it to get overrun before you yourself can get here.

As for the ton of elk I believe it I have been up their half dozen times, for turkey, and just plain bumming around the woods and always see lots of elk.  But there are a ton of deer tags issued for this unit, much more than 16, so I figured they were trying to thin the deer out?  But really haven't seen many deer, compared to elk anyway.

I'll be scouting at least two more weekends before so hopefully that will help.

Thanks and happy hunting if you drew this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top