Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 2:48:52 AM EDT
Hello all. I've been inactive on this site and out of the firearms game for almost 4 years. I lived in Arizona for 10 years and was very active in the firearms community.

I was a Glock Armorer, an AR-15 builder, and also done gun repairs.

I am moving to Alamogordo soon. Looking for recommendations on shooting ranges (class 3 friendly is a plus), class 3 dealers, and whatever else you can pass on. I do not mind traveling to get to the best recommended places.

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to southern NM!

I am up the hill from Alamogordo, in the Ruidoso area. I have only been here for six years so my knowledge of all the gun ranges and shops is limited. For shooting ranges down your way, there is the Sidney Paul Gordon range. It is at the north end of town and it is run by the county and they have range personnel on site. It is a pretty decent range with lots of different shooting matches as well as CCW classes. Not sure about Class 3 shooting, but the local LEO's do shoot their toys there a lot. Over the hill in Las Cruces is the Butterfield range. It is a great range that is also run by the county, but it is uncontrolled. Again, I am not sure about Class 3 shooting there (Hopefully some of the local members will chime in and provide better info). Up the hill here in Ruidoso is the Ruidoso Gun Club. It is a private range that will run you $50 a year for membership or $10.00 a day. It is another uncontrolled range with a very basic 50 yard pistol range and a basic rifle range out to 500 yards. I have shot my suppressed firearms there with no issues.

Shooting Ranges:

Sydney Paul Gordon Shooting Range
19 Rockcliff Rd.
Alamogordo, NM
575-443-9006
Facilities include: 200 & 300 yard rifle, 50 yd pistol, 4 general purpose ranges, archery range.
OPSA shoots on this range and offer high power rifle, IPSC, Cowboy Action and Action Pistol.
Range operated by Otero County.

In Las Cruces:

Butterfield Range

In Ruidoso:

Ruidoso Gun Club

I am not sure there are any brick and mortar Class 3 dealers in Alamogordo. There are a couple in Las Cruces, but the only one I have been to is Stryker's and they had a pretty decent selection of suppressors. I bought my suppressor from Six Dogs Armory in Roswell. He operates out of his house, but he is the only dealer listed with Silencerco that offered a .mil/LEO discount, so that is why I went with him. Larry's Guns in Roswell also carries a limited supply of suppressors as well. The Cop Shop in Artesia has a good selection of suppressors, but they were in the process of moving the last time I was down there (about two years ago).

Class 3 Dealers:

Six Dogs
Business Name :Six Dogs
License Name :Lynn, Christopher
City :Roswell
State :NM
Email :[email protected]
Phone Number :(803) 414-6945

Larrys Discount Gun Shop
Business Name :Larrys Discount Gun Shop
License Name :Double M Investments Inc
City :Roswell
Email :[email protected]
Phone Number :(575) 622-2564

The Cop Shop
Name : The Cop Shop
Corp Name :Rutherford, Dale R
Address :327 W Main St
City :Artesia
Phone Number :5757468974

Strykers Gun shop

As for gun shops, there is one in Alamogordo, "Dave's Guns". He has a pretty good selection of guns and gear, but his prices are pretty high. The True Value hardware store in town (On 9th street) also sells guns and seemed to have some decent prices, but their inventory was limited as they were just starting up selling guns. I think things are better with them now. Las Cruces has several gun shops that are pretty nice. I have only been to Stryker's and Millers.

Up here in Ruidoso, we have Firepower Gun and Pawn. It is a small shop, but he does get in some good stuff and the owner (Larry) is great to deal with. Roswell has a couple of gun shops. I have been to "Larry's Discount Guns" (Nothing "Discount" about them) and then there is the "Zia Trading and Gun" shop. Both have a good inventory, but I like Zia's better as their prices are lower.

Gun Shops (In addition to those list above for Class 3):

Dave's Guns Inc
1498 10th St Alamogordo, NM 88310-5043
(575) 437-8080

In Las Cruces:

Miller's Guns

In Ruidoso:

Firepower Gun and Pawn

In Roswell:

Zia Trading & Guns
1907 N Main St
(575) 622-0023

There are several gun shops and Class 3 dealers up north in Albuquerque, but I have not been to any of them as yet. Hopefully some of our northern members will provide info on those.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
mic214, appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I dealt with Strykers gun shop in LC for my Class III, they are on top of it, they have an indoor range, and anytime you want to shoot your suppressor you can do it there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
CJ7365, will check them out. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I was stationed at Holloman from 2011-2014. I loved the area and the freedom of open carry. Best gun dealer in town is at True Value, prices are a little expensive but they are good people. I recommend staying away from Dave's Guns....dudes are clowns!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Member13 Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm local here in Alamogordo.

There seems to be a lot of shooters here, but not a strong community of them.

I'm going to try not to trash Dave's, but don't waste your money, one of the dudes there was so blatantly dishonest I refuse to support them.

Steve Odom from Triple T Firearms is the best FFL especially if you are military $10 transfers and if you get to know him well enough, half the time he doesn't charge.

He's also a deputy in town and is a no BS kind of guy, good dude and looks out for people.

I can provide his info if you need it.

I live out of town and shoot at my house, so I don't frequent the ranges.

Hit me up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top