Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 11:56:45 PM EDT
As backstory, I work in the mining industry and visit old sites in my spare time; I stumbled across this while doing some related research.

South of Magdalena in Socorro County, there's a mill site from Hydro Resources' attempt to reopen and work the Linchburg Mine in the late 70s to '82 or so. The mill appears to be mostly dismantled, but ALL of the underground equipment is still there. There are multiple LHDs, low-profile trucks, possibly one or more drill jumbos, and probably compressors from what I can tell. It's been sitting in high desert for the last thirty-odd years. It is all on USFS or BLM public land; actual ownership would need to be determined.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone here from that area who works on heavy equipment would be interested in driving out to the site in the next week or two to assess this stuff and determine whether it can be refurbished economically. I'd meet you out there; I'm working in AZ right now and have been meaning to go back to NM for a bit. Belts, hoses, tires, fluids, and possibly some wire harnesses would need to be replaced. The market value of all this stuff is likely north of a quarter million, especially if refurbished. Depending on what kind of condition the equipment is in, it could be a really good opportunity to refurb and flip the stuff. I believe it was purchased new in the late 70s, and was only used for a short period before the metals market crashed.

Anyone interested?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The underground equipment might be a tad difficult to get out...

"Linchburg mine: This mine was extensively explored by Chris DeWitt and one of the authors (RSD) in 1993 prior to its use as a test facility for storing munitions in underground mines. This was a joint venture between the U.S. Corps of Engineers and the Republic of Korea. The development plan called for up to 32 blasts with the largest explosion using 2.5 tons of dynamite (Defensor Chiefton, June 29 & 30, 1993). Entry to the mine following these tests has not been possible to the authors’ knowledge."

I've poked around abandoned missile complexes in much drier spots, and the underground equipment was rusted so bad it wasn't worth even pulling out to scrap it.   You might see what 1970s mining equipment in poor condition is selling at auction sites, if there is still a market for it.  Sorry for being a downer.  I like exploring too.   There are very few sites that haven't been picked clean of everything of value.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The equipment is topside, a few miles from the mine. It's been in high desert for the last thirty years.

I've been to the mine itself; the portal is gated and the workings are full of mold and gas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
    How do you plan on obtaining legal ownership?
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top