Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 1:22:02 PM EDT
I have been to a couple but was underwhelmed.  I keep hearing about a set of good hot springs that is off the beaten path, but cant find any info on it.  From what I hear these are a little warmer and cleaner than the common ones everyone goes to.  Anyone know where they are and best way to hike to them?

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Have only been to two different locations of hot springs.  The ones off the main road(highway 4), and the ones accessed from Battleship Rock park.

Are these the ones you have already been to?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Have been to the ones off of Hwy 4.  Haven't been to the ones by Battleship park.  Have GPS for them?

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
No I don't have gps coordinates on it. They are pretty easy to get to though. From Battleship Rock park parking lot, near the large pavilion follow the trail up stream next to the river. It will go up hill and away from the river. Seems like it's about a mile to the springs.  They are nicer than the ones off of highway 4. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
San Antonio Hot Springs. Several miles north of jemez springs.
Here's a link to a site with good instructions about getting there.

IMO a 4wd vehicle is a must. I've been there several times. I went there in my Escape; you remember that car. The road is quite rough, with some sections having bare rocks sticking out of the ground.

The road ends at a small parking area. The final 300 feet or so (from the road to the parking area) is quite steep; I was glad to have 4x4 just getting out of there, but some people make it with 2wd vehicles.

The hike into the springs from the parking lot isn't hard, but the last 100 feet or so is steep and rocky. Clothing is optional, however, there are reports of rangers giving citations for indecent exposure.

eta You can drive or hike the 5 1/2 miles into the area. You must then drive or hike out. Hiking (at least at my age) is problematical; my knees, hips and ankles are no longer up to it. I always drove in.

If hiking is your thing, there is at least one trail into the area, probably more.

Also, it's been 4+ years since I went there. The road may be in better or worse condition than when I went there.

IMO this is the most beautiful hot spring location in Nuevo Mehico. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
San Antonio Hot Springs. Several miles north of jemez springs.
http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/sanantoniohotsprings-700x525.jpgHere's a link to a site with good instructions about getting there.

IMO a 4wd vehicle is a must. I've been there several times. I went there in my Escape; you remember that car. The road is quite rough, with some sections having bare rocks sticking out of the ground.

The road ends at a small parking area. The final 300 feet or so (from the road to the parking area) is quite steep; I was glad to have 4x4 just getting out of there, but some people make it with 2wd vehicles.

The hike into the springs from the parking lot isn't hard, but the last 100 feet or so is steep and rocky. Clothing is optional, however, there are reports of rangers giving citations for indecent exposure.

eta You can drive or hike the 5 1/2 miles into the area. You must then drive or hike out. Hiking (at least at my age) is problematical; my knees, hips and ankles are no longer up to it. I always drove in.

If hiking is your thing, there is at least one trail into the area, probably more.

Also, it's been 4+ years since I went there. The road may be in better or worse condition than when I went there.

IMO this is the most beautiful hot spring location in Nuevo Mehico. Enjoy!
View Quote
I was up there last weekend. The gate for the access road is still down.  It is a 3.5 mile walk back to the springs.  It is a beautiful area.  I was able to drive the road in a 2WD truck last year, but it is a rough road and good ground clearance is needed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
That road hasn't had any maintenance by the U.S. Forest Service, in the 30 years I've been going down it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top