Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 5:17:06 PM EDT
I have had an NFA gun trust since 2008 when the Police Chief in ABQ refused to sign my application to make make an SBR using a lower I already owned.  Anyway, I just read elsewhere that the CLEO signoff is no longer required (but you still have to do the fingerprints, which doesn't bother me as I have a CC permit and am retired military so my prints are in the system already, many times as I recall).  I'd like to know if the CLEO signoff is no longer required b/c my trust is complicated and has all my children as co-trustees and/or beneficiaries.  I understand now, if I submit for say another silencer, BATFE will require all my children and son- and daughters-in-law who are on the trust to submit a fingerprint card.  But if I can acquire another silencer without a CLEO signoff, then I may buy another one.  But I'm hoping the Hearing Protection Act will become law and I won't even need the $200 tax stamp and 8 months wait to get one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The process has been updated.  No CLEO signature required but you do have to fill out the Notification form.  You will need a photo/fingerprints of all Responsible People.  Anyone who can take trust items without you present, normally all the trustees.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
But if I don't do it thru my trust but rather as an individual do I need the CLEO sign off?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No, the CLEO signoff has been removed from both trusts and individuals entirely.  Regardless of the method you use, you now have to do fingerprints and photos as an individual or for every responsible person on your trust.  Then you are supposed to send a letter to your CLEO that you are buying something, but it is a notification only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top