Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 9:57:18 AM EDT
I am looking to retire and move out that way to get away from crowded places and get close to good hunting areas. Anyone name some good smaller type towns which would be good to look at.  Don't mind hunting public lands. I just need to get away from the high crime cities and live off my retirement. Any cities or areas that are not so high prices and are in a country setting would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
BUMP

crime is everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I retired to Silver City for just those same reasons, real estate prices are real good right now.

Check it out.

Gary
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always liked the areas in and around Capitan. Beautiful area, somewhat remote, but has what you're looking for. Great organized match shooting group there too.

As stated, crime is everywhere. Some petty, some pretty damned violent. Has to do with the economic demographics of the population. Petty theft is rampant in my area near Dixon. Lock it or lose it. Don't know the exact statistics, but I had read that NM was among the top for highway deaths and drunk drivers. Heard that 50% of the homes in NM are mobile. Hell, I live in one too. I was down in Silver City for work and found that area to be pretty beautiful too. Mine economy causes swings in the real estate prices. They're shut down for now... I always liked Mule Creek and Mogollon. Reserve has some record Elk. Good luck on your search. Let us know where you land. H.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Aztec, Bloomfield,Farmington area still small townish. Plenty of hunting area around, lots of dirt roads to lose or find yourself on. Crime not too bad, worth the look anyhow! Navajo Lake is 1 hr away depending on where you are and how you drive, desert all around, mountains about an hour, hippies about an hour (don't know what your looking to hunt), plenty of Native american stuff around to look at and sometimes find in the wild. Lot's of gas stations and used car lots, plenty of Mexican restaurants (gotta have that BF green chile Burrito), and 2 count 'em 2 Wal-mart's! Just in case you decide you would like to supplement your retirement as a greeter! Just kidding on that one!
Be glad to have another Brother in Arms here in Fabulous San Juan County!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Alamogordo or even better, Cloudcroft!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks folks...just looking to get in a smaller populated area that offers good hunting and like someone posted above lots of roads to get lost on..I do a little predator hunting here in TN but its not near as good as the western states, so looking to get more involved in that. I know crime is everywhere but I work for the FD in memphis TN and I see the worst of the worst.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]

I know crime is everywhere but I work for the FD in memphis TN and I see the worst of the worst.

Dude, you're gonna love NM. ABQ is the biggest town till you get to Denver, El Paso or PHX at <525k. Learn to deal with the locals (easier said than done) and you're good to go. H.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Moved out here 20 years ago. Love it. Live in the East Mountains. I live at 7,000 feet ( Albuquerque is higher than Denver ) Weather is always 20 degs cooler. No swamper needed. Good shooting ranges around. Great hunting and fishing. We have one of the nicest ranges in the southwest. The city just built our club a 1,000 yard range. Very gun friendly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]

I like the area around Reserve..if I was to do it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top