Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 5:38:34 PM EDT
Well I made it.  I put the "adventure" in moving this time, that is for sure.  But I spent my first weekend around Farmington (Charming-ton as its known locally).  It was fun, I have blisters more sun than I have seen in months and an aching in my stomach that says I might lose a few ounces if I keep up this level of activity.

So: what do you guys use for holsters with all this effing sand blowing around when you are out hiking/four wheeling/ATVing etc??  I have a good ole uncle mikes "kydex" holster screwed to my camel bak, currently in use.  I found it got rather gritty and don't want to put undue wear and tear on the trusty glock's finish.  

Anyone use a bianchi accumold?  Full leather?  What about a wilderness safepacker?? that might keep it clean.
Or am I being a crybaby?  (I didn't complain about the sand in my mouth yet...haha)  Maybe this is an excuse to buy a beater "desert gun" in coyote tan naturally?

Just want to hear what the locals use and abuse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Gould and Goodrich leather holster that I use for open carry on my motorcycle when I'm riding between Alamogordo and Las Cruces (something I do quite often).  I get caught in sand storms near White Sands National Monument all the time and have yet to notice any wear on my Kimber's finish.  But that could be because of the type of sand (gypsum) or something else I'm not thinking of.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the kind of info I want to hear, thanks.  I sit next to a shovelhead fan at work, thats the last influence I need....

Once I find a house and get my stuff out of storage I will be able to do a little testing.  I have a leather safariland and a nylon chest holster I can try.  I am thinking the more coverage the better.  The chest rig is great, but I am not sure how the locals will react.  In the last places I lived (MT, ID, and AK) its common to the point of expected to be armed out in the woods.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad you made it down here!  

A four wheeler and a ATV'er, too bad you didnt move to Roswell!  I think you will enjoy the terrain more up there though.  Ive heard that is a great general area for off roading.

I use the Smart Carry so far, with good results.  Still experimenting to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top