Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 4:21:30 AM EDT
Will be moving to ABQ  this spring. Looking for a place to shoot. I see that indoor range in Abq, Let just say not a big fan of indoor ranges. Looking for outside. Thanks for the help. Dave
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Howdy,

I live in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque has a superb city-run range on state-owned land west of the city. Basically, you take I-40 to the west Central/Paseo del Volcan exit, go north 4 miles, and then go west three more miles. There are signs to guide you. It costs $6.00/person/day, and that includes your first target and the use of a bench (covered) and target frame. The ranges are monitored with officers (most of whom are great guys). They do not allow rapid fire (they're pretty liberal with this, but nothing crazy) and they're blessedly good about safety.

The main range goes out to 210 yards, with target positions at 10, 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards, and various gongs at 210. There are 50 lanes, IIRC. There are other ranges for the silhouette guys (they go to 600 - you need to drive down to change your targets) and for classes. The city cops and county sheriffs have adjoining ranges, and there are trap and skeet ranges down the road.

They are trying to get a bill passed in the state legislature (30-day session this year, starting the day after King Day) to get additional improvements (concrete walkways, turning targets) in order to get the National Police Shooting Championships moved to this range.

Sound like paradise? Well, it can get windy sometimes, and hot others. You'll want to bring water. They now have indoor plumbing, but watch for snakes around the outhouses if you decide to use them instead. Snakes, scorpions, centipedes and tarantulas will leave you alone if you leave them alone, probably.

The contact number for the Albuquerque City Range is (505) 836-8785 and they're open 9 to 5, Wednesday through Sunday. Please email me if you have any questions whatsoever about Albuquerque or if you want to get added to our NM Shooters listserv on Yahoo.groups - we'll get together for brunch and then either hit a gun show or go shoot about 4x a year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, I would love to be part of the NM shooters. Not sure when I be moving down(have to sell the house in MN first) I will email you when I get down there. Thanks again, Dave
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Right on! Good luck with the house sale, and do let me know when you move. I'd be proud to buy you a plate of green chile enchiladas!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top