Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2017 1:39:30 AM EDT
I took a job at the hospital in Searcy, and was looking for advice on towns to live in.  I was thinking maybe Cabot but it seems more expensive than pretty much everywhere else (still much cheaper than where I live now).  Is this a good area? Any other towns you would recommend?  I am 27 and have a wife who will be looking for work possibly in Little Rock.  I have heard Cabot has good schools but I dont have kids so not a big deal for me. Mostly looking for nice area that I will not lose money on the house when I sell it and not too far from Searcy.  

Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "not too far" - what kind of commute can you tolerate?  A 50 mile commute could put you living in Conway (or the outskirts), Cabot, Jacksonville, Sherwood - even Little Rock.  If your wife is thinking Little Rock for job prospects, you likely want to stay south/southwest of Searcy.  If you want smaller town living, there are a plethora of other choices like Beebe, Ward, Lonoke, etc - the ones named initially are "larger" by Arkansas standards (20K+ population).
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to live within 30 mins of work its in my contract
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
A 30 minute commute from Cabot would be tough by the time you get to the highway and then off the highway to the hospital.  You'll be better off looking in Beebe.

Google Cabot to Searcy and it says 32 minutes best time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep - Beebe is probably as far as you can get SW on Hwy 67 and be within your 30 minute commute.  Depending on where in Beebe that could even be pushing it in the event of any traffic issues on the road.  Personally, I would live in/around Searcy before I would live in Beebe.  You are talking ~24K vs 8K population, and the associated increased availability of stores, restaurants, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont think they would make a big deal out of 32 mins or will include traffic but not really sure.  I think other people live in cabot.  Beebe seems a bit small.. 24k is already pretty damn small...
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont think they would make a big deal out of 32 mins or will include traffic but not really sure.  I think other people live in cabot.  Beebe seems a bit small.. 24k is already pretty damn small...
View Quote

That 32 minutes is not from your soon to be address and the hospital.  That's only town to town.  The 32 minutes could well turn into 45 or more minutes.  I know the hospital won't like that.  We are still not accounting for traffic or weather conditions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
They said Cabot or closer would be fine just prefer that I dont go past the Cabot city limits.  Going house shopping tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Join up at V.E.T.S shooting center. Great range. And come to the Appleseed that will be going on may 20 and 21st.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just out here house shopping, gotta head back to AZ for a month before I move out otherwise I would love to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You'll probably work on some of my family sooner or later at that hospital. My sister works there too, nurse of some sort.

Cabot is kind of the first town north of Little Rock where you can get away from the crime and problems and have decent schools. It's also got a lot of folks there from the Air Base.

Beebe isn't much and neither any of the other small towns before you get to Searcy.  You do NOT want to live in Kensett.  My moms address is Judsonia, but she's out in the country and there isn't much town left. Bald Knob is probably as far north as you would want to go. It ain't much either. You don't want to go east, that gets into the "bottoms" low lying farm land that floods often, still flooded now I believe. To west and north you start getting into the mountains.

I'd probably look for something in Searcy if I were you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I figured Cabot would be best since my wife will probably have to work in Little Rock.  Cabot and Searcy doesn't seem to have jobs that pay very well (at least compared to what we are used to) unless you work at the hospital.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top