Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 4:42:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I know some backwoods 'ole boys that'll fight anything that breathes, but swear they've seen "Haints" up at their deer camp/cabin.  Not a single one of those guys will stay there alone.  Never saw any "Haints" myself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen some weird stuff that I can't explain ( or really even talk about because most of them happen when I was younger, more adventureous, and dating a woman other than my future wife ).
One night I was take the ex-girlfriend home - it was about 11:30 and we wasn't rushing to get her back home - we were on county rd 302 in Jackson Co. and something crossed the road infront of us about 100yards ahead. At first we (or I anyway) thought a calf had got out and in the road, but it moved more like a dog, but was big. I slowed down even more, not wanting to spook it or hit it, but when it got across the road and through the ditch, it jumped up on the top strand of the barb-wire fence, and stood up-right. Needless to say, this FREAKED my G/F. I gunned it and we hauled ass to her house. No idea what it was we saw that night.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen beavers and river otters in Dardanelle. Maybe that was what you saw... But the calf, that sounds like the work of Big Foot
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Everytime I go to the walmart in Jacksonville or NLR I see shit that just cant be explained.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Everytime I go to the walmart in Jacksonville or NLR I see shit that just cant be explained.....

I think that applies to ANY Walmart...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I go to Barnes and Noble on Chenal on a regular basis, of course I see strange shit all the time.  Oddest thing I've ever seen in the outdoors was one day when my uncle and I went tree rat hunting.  I bagged out at 8 in about 2 hours and went to find him.  He'd only gotten 3.  I laughed till he told me to look in the bag.  All 3 of them were black  I'd only ever seen one other black squirrel in my life and this sumbitch killed 3 in less than 2 hours.  

Put a .270 round through a deer's chest at 130 yards.  It turned and looked towards me with this, what the fuck was that for look on it's face and ran off.  Buddy of mine was watching and saw the hit, we got to the spot and there was no more than 5 drops of blood.  Extremely light trail.  Never found it.  I wen't back to 7mm rem mags after that.

Tricked a friend of mine into kicking a possum, that was funny, except he bled on my floormats on the way to the ER.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Dusty, here around the house about a year ago there were 12-15 half black squirrels.  They were fox squirrels, but usually they would be black on their belly and head, the rest looked like regular 'ole fox squirrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Never saw any "Haints" myself.

I dated a few in my younger days...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I dated a few in my younger days...

LOL!  If you'd put a bag over their head you could still claim you never saw one!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
One night shortly after my wife and I came to Arkansas we were camping in a site just outside of Helena. At approx. midnight we were in the tent and looking out at our campfire when we saw something place a log on our fire, the something was huge and hairy. We, my wife, my dog and I were quite and the thing left. The next night we went to make a call and after our return at about 2200hrs. our normaly defencive and fearless dog was going nuts not wanting to get out of the car so we let here be. It wasn't but 15 minutes later that we heard a sound that I still can't describe. The only way I can think to express it is it sounded like every animal that you can think of crying out in pain all at once. There was a smell that was there from whatever it was and it was so rank almost rotten. The thing I don't get is that I know that whatever it was there were at least three of them and they seemed to be talking to eachother. One would make the sound then another. I told my wife at that point to get in the car and start it so that if the things came out while I was loading she could leave and she and our dog would be safe.  The things never advanced any closer than approx. 15 meters. they never left their cover.

I can tell you that I have been in a lot of situations wherein a person could loose their life and they never put a lick of terror in me but that night whatever it or they were scared me to the point of the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Someday, I hope to go back there and find out what it was. because it was plain to see that other folks had camped there and left in a big hurry. I hope that this time I get to see whatever it is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One night shortly after my wife and I came to Arkansas we were camping in a site just outside of Helena. At approx. midnight we were in the tent and looking out at our campfire when we saw something place a log on our fire, the something was huge and hairy. We, my wife, my dog and I were quite and the thing left. The next night we went to make a call and after our return at about 2200hrs. our normaly defencive and fearless dog was going nuts not wanting to get out of the car so we let here be. It wasn't but 15 minutes later that we heard a sound that I still can't describe. The only way I can think to express it is it sounded like every animal that you can think of crying out in pain all at once. There was a smell that was there from whatever it was and it was so rank almost rotten. The thing I don't get is that I know that whatever it was there were at least three of them and they seemed to be talking to eachother. One would make the sound then another. I told my wife at that point to get in the car and start it so that if the things came out while I was loading she could leave and she and our dog would be safe.  The things never advanced any closer than approx. 15 meters. they never left their cover.

I can tell you that I have been in a lot of situations wherein a person could loose their life and they never put a lick of terror in me but that night whatever it or they were scared me to the point of the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Someday, I hope to go back there and find out what it was. because it was plain to see that other folks had camped there and left in a big hurry. I hope that this time I get to see whatever it is.

Sounds like a EXCELLENT place for the next ARFCOM camp out!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The weirdest thing I can thing of at the moment:

The summer I turned 16, I almost hit what I call a black panther.  Call it what you will, but it was a huge cat with a tail that was damn near the length of its body and of course blackish in color.

I was going south on HWY 17 South in Jackson county about midnight in July, crossing a bridge over a creek.

Honestly, I thought  was seeing shite until my best friend that was with me looked at me with the confused look on his face and asked me if I saw that?

I told him that I thought i just saw a large black cat like animal dart across in front of my truck, he confirmed that he saw the same.

Ever since then the only people that believe us is the old timers around there that swears there used to be black panthers/cougers in the area when they were young.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but if I'm camping out and I see somethin big and hairy come put a log on my fire, I'd be gettin the hell out of there as soon as I change my underwear
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#14]
A few folks around here have told me that there used to be a man that sold mountian lion kits and that some folks would 'return' them to him after they were no longer cute. his were declawed and not 'fixed'. He promptly would release them into the wild and well, cats being cats, you get the ideal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a EXCELLENT place for the next ARFCOM camp out!!!!  hr

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in southern Jackson county ( in the pan handle between Independence and White Co. off HWY 87) and we've heard big cats around there. I never seen one, but you can not mistake their scream for anything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've seen some weird stuff that I can't explain ( or really even talk about because most of them happen when I was younger, more adventureous, and dating a woman other than my future wife ).
One night I was take the ex-girlfriend home - it was about 11:30 and we wasn't rushing to get her back home - we were on county rd 302 in Jackson Co. and something crossed the road infront of us about 100yards ahead. At first we (or I anyway) thought a calf had got out and in the road, but it moved more like a dog, but was big. I slowed down even more, not wanting to spook it or hit it, but when it got across the road and through the ditch, it jumped up on the top strand of the barb-wire fence, and stood up-right. Needless to say, this FREAKED my G/F. I gunned it and we hauled ass to her house. No idea what it was we saw that night.

It was El Chupacabra
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#19]
stop posting pictures of my ex wife
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]

It was El Chupacabra

I think I had that the other night at Senor Tequila's
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#21]
black squirrels-my sister lives out hwy10 west of l.r. and she has alot of black squirrels inher back yard,pretty tame also,damn things will come up to yourfeet if you drop a piece of food.
panthers-about 35 years ago i used to go fishing at a small lake called big creek resevoir,near joneboro.
i remember one sat morning early two older men,i knew them,showed me a dead panther they killed in the back of their truck.
they said it had been killing livestock so they went after it,setup an ambush for ti near one of their barns.
i used to go there by myself,scared the crap out of me kowing it was probably looking at me back then as a snack.
i had relatives that lived out north culberhouse,when it was gravel,that once it got dark you beter not be in those woods out near the old white church where the roadwent straight up to 141 and culberhouse split right.
i heard about small bears and was once told about a panther,but that was 40 years ago.
jo
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ever since then the only people that believe us is the old timers around there that swears there used to be black panthers/cougers in the area when they were young.

I've seen 3 in my short lifetime and I've had game wardens swear to me there is no such thing.

Hunter’s remote camera captures picture of mountain lion
BY AUSTIN GELDER

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003

Don Scott of Little Rock often spots deer, coyotes, raccoons, foxes, bobcats and buzzards while in the woods of Arkansas but had never spied a big cat.

At least not until two weeks ago, when a camera triggered by a heat sensor Scott had set up near the Winona Wildlife Management Area snapped a shot of a lithe, golden mountain lion creeping through the forest. "I’ve been hunting all my life and I’m 65," Scott said. "This is the first time I’ve ever come across a mountain lion."

And that’s no surprise, considering the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission says the state’s wild mountain lion population was wiped out by the 1920s after pioneers slaughtered them and decimated the white-tailed deer the cats relied on for food.

In 2001, the Game and Fish Commission took mountain lions off the state’s endangered species list and officially adopted the policy that there are no wild mountain lions in Arkansas. It’s the only state to have done so. "We determined all of our native panthers were gone from the state," Game and Fish biologist Blake Sasse said. "We haven’t come across any in Arkansas that we can’t trace back to a pet animal that’s escaped or intentionally been released."

More than 100 mountain lions — also called cougars, pumas or Florida panthers — live in captivity in Arkansas. While the state doesn’t have a law regulating ownership of exotic animals, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires owners to hold a livestock permit. "In the last five years we know of at least eight mountain lions that escaped or were released, but all of those were either killed or recaptured," Sasse said.

But is it possible that wild mountain lions are re-establishing themselves in Arkansas forests? "I wouldn’t rule anything out," Sasse said. "There’s a known mountain lion popula- tion in southern Texas, and they can travel long distances."

Plenty of people suspect the big cats may very well be moving back to the Natural State.

People living near the Hot Springs Country Club reported seeing or hearing cougars this winter and spring, and some blamed the cats for attacks on pet dogs.

And just this month, a Missouri motorist hit a 105-pound male mountain lion on a Jefferson City highway about 150 miles north of the Arkansas-Missouri border. The animals can weigh from 80 to 230 pounds and range from 5 to 8 feet in length.

Many biologists suspect wild mountain lions may be migrating eastward from South Dakota, Colorado and Texas. Male mountain lions have been known to travel hundreds of miles to stake out their own territory.

But even if wild mountain lions are here, Sasse said there probably aren’t many of them. "If we had a large number we’d see them showing up hit by cars on the road or we’d have people shooting them."

Scott’s camera caught the image of a mountain lion on private land near the Winona Wildlife Management Area west of Little Rock. He uses the camera to track deer in preparation for hunting season. The picture of the mountain lion was taken sometime between Aug. 6 and Aug. 13. The camera also captured the images of several deer during that time period.

Dr. Gary Heidt, a wildlife biologist and chairman of the biology department at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, said he’s not sure whether mountain lions spotted in the state are animals that escaped captivity or their offspring, or if they’re immigrants from Western states. "Until we finally get one and can run some DNA tests on it we won’t know for sure," he said.

Regardless of where they came from, it’s important to study these animals, Heidt said. "If they’re captive animals or if they’re wild animals, if they’re in the state they’re part of our fauna."

While some would welcome mountain lions back to their home habitat, others have no interest in re-establishing the big cats on Arkansas soil.

Arkansas officials told the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last fall they want no part of a plan to expand the Florida panther population into wild areas of the Ozark and Ouachita mountains. Arkansas was the only southeastern state being considered for the relocation program that refused to join.

Public reaction is one reason. Wildlife experts said they would expect lots of opposition to a cougar relocation program for fear of danger to livestock, pets and people. Arkansans already complain about bears and alligators, and state officials say they would expect more nuisance calls if the mountain lion population increased.

However, mountain lions may be on their way to Arkansas whether state officials like it or not. But until hard evidence is found, experts shy away from declaring Arkansas home to wild mountain lions.

Scott will lead Heidt and biologists from the Game and Fish Commission to the spot where the picture was taken sometime in the next few days to look for evidence of a big cat.

Asked about the image captured by his camera, Scott said Friday he was surprised as anyone. "I didn’t know what to think," he said. "I really didn’t expect to get a picture of one there."

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I grew up just outside Wynne, right on Crowley's Ridge.  I started hunting when I was 10 years old, hunting "tree rats" and was hunting by myself by age 11 as I was pretty responsible for my age and had been around guns all of my life.  When I was about 16, I went squirrel hunting in early October (this would have been in 1987) and I always went while it was still quite dark so that I could be in place when the squirrels started moving.  I was sitting a little farther up the "hollow" than I usually went (if anybody know of Lover's Leap in Levesque, that was where I was - in the hollow right behind it as my parents house is in the small field right in front of it).  It was literally PITCH black - I carried a small flashlight just big enough to light the path in front of me to see for snakes.  I was sitting there, and I heard something quite large - at least human size - come walking through the woods in my direction.  I heard it from quite a distance and it was headed for me.  Being a little curious, I sat still and didn't turn my light on - but whatever this was, was headed straight for me.  I freaking froze up - I couldn't even move.  It came within 4 feet of me and stopped.  I stayed completely still except for the trembling for the 30 minutes or so until the sun peaked over the ridge.  Keep in mind, this thing was right in front of me, it stopped dead in its tracks, but I knew it was there - 4 feet in front of me.  I NEVER heard it leave, climb a tree, or anything.  It was just freaking NOT THERE when the sun came up.  I kept on hunting, but I did not see a SINGLE squirrel the whole morning and woods were unusually quiet.  I went home about 8:00am - and I didn't go hunting for a couple weeks after that, which was unusual because I always hunted morning and evening most days and every weekend during the fall and early winter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#25]

these are some great stories guys,  makes me want to spend more time in the woods around here.  with a good camera and an autoloading rifle...

i wish i had some great story to add but about the craziest things i have seen have been in walmart too.

- Spaceman

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I grew up just outside Wynne, right on Crowley's Ridge.  I started hunting when I was 10 years old, hunting "tree rats" and was hunting by myself by age 11 as I was pretty responsible for my age and had been around guns all of my life.  When I was about 16, I went squirrel hunting in early October (this would have been in 1987) and I always went while it was still quite dark so that I could be in place when the squirrels started moving.  I was sitting a little farther up the "hollow" than I usually went (if anybody know of Lover's Leap in Levesque, that was where I was - in the hollow right behind it as my parents house is in the small field right in front of it).  It was literally PITCH black - I carried a small flashlight just big enough to light the path in front of me to see for snakes.  I was sitting there, and I heard something quite large - at least human size - come walking through the woods in my direction.  I heard it from quite a distance and it was headed for me.  Being a little curious, I sat still and didn't turn my light on - but whatever this was, was headed straight for me.  I freaking froze up - I couldn't even move.  It came within 4 feet of me and stopped.  I stayed completely still except for the trembling for the 30 minutes or so until the sun peaked over the ridge.  Keep in mind, this thing was right in front of me, it stopped dead in its tracks, but I knew it was there - 4 feet in front of me.  I NEVER heard it leave, climb a tree, or anything.  It was just freaking NOT THERE when the sun came up.  I kept on hunting, but I did not see a SINGLE squirrel the whole morning and woods were unusually quiet.  I went home about 8:00am - and I didn't go hunting for a couple weeks after that, which was unusual because I always hunted morning and evening most days and every weekend during the fall and early winter.

Man,  I would have unloaded my little .22 on whatever that was.  If someone/thing is sneaking up on me in the woods in the dark -- its ass better be prepared to get shot.  Hunting is supposed to be relaxing............

I've got to quit reading this thread or I'll never be in the woods before dawn and out before dark-thirty.

DK
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Make no mistake about it.... Walmart can be worse then any dark night in the woods!

Especially the one on highland
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Not trying to discredit any of these stories, but the best of them seem to occur when people are in their childhood.  I have to wonder how large a role active imaginations play into these old wives tales.  Good stories all the same.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Make no mistake about it.... Walmart can be worse then any dark night in the woods!

Especially the one on highland

damn that one still open............
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Going to my deer stand early one morning I had to use my Maglite to see where I was heading. For some reason I aimed the beam on the side of a tree about eight feet off the ground.  There were deep claw marks through the bark and well into the tree.   I suddenly lost all interest in hunting in those bottoms that morning.  Later in the day, several of us went back in and looked for tracks, found the claw marks but no tracks of any kind.  It would have taken an huge bear to have reached that high to claw a tree.
Next, in the same area, I went black powder hunting one fall morning.  Before sunrise, I was sitting in a box stand I'd built a year or two earlier.  Suddenly from behind and to my left there was a loud scream.  Deciding that a single shot muzzle loader was not enough gun, I got down from the stand and retreived my 3" .357, placed it in my back pocket and sat down in the stand again.  Another scream, this one much closer, rattled the leaves.  I exited the stand again, this time at a run, went to my 4X4, got in and even locked the door. I remained there until after 8am but by this time deer hunting wasn't too enjoyable.  I later talked with one of our Game Wardens that was taking some of the same college classes as I about the possibility of there being a big cat.  He looked at me sorta funny and said that there were no big cats in that area. BULL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top