Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 7:11:06 AM EDT
I have a chance to relocate to Mtn. Home. Lots of real esatate to be had for 200K or less?
Good fishing, hunting there?  Too many lefties or tree huggers from the college?
Is it humid like FL?  General demographics and such are needed. Thanks...KM
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It is in the heart of the Ozarks, great hunting and fishing.  Several nice lakes in the area.  There is a local shooting club there, I think it is called Twin Lakes SHooting Club.  You can google it and they have a web site.

I can't say anything about the land prices.  I am sure that you can find something that would fit into what ever budget you have.  It can be humid and very hot during the July/Aug time frame.  It can alos be very cold during the winter.  There are lots of Yanks that move down that way for the retirement.

All in all, I could think of far worse places to live.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Great place if you like fishing.  Some of the best trout fishing in the world(literally).  I am about a couple hours South of Mtn Home and frequenltly make the trip for camping and fishing.  It is a fairly small town, even for Arkansas, I think about 11,000 pop.  There is plenty of realt estate available, however, land on the rivers has skyrocketed lately.  

http://www.mtnhomechamber.com/general_information.asp

http://www.cityofmountainhome.com/

http://mtnhome.net/index.asp

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Mtn Home is a beautiful part of the state, and I don't want to scare you off.....but it's a lake town. A popular lake town in the North/North East....Land will not be cheap! 200K should still get you a nice setup though. Are you looking for land or a house and land?

The fishing and hunting are great! The college is po dunk. It's for moms and dads to take online classes and for easy riders to get a 2 year transfer degree. I wouldn't worry about it. I got to ASU-Jonesboro (the main branch) so I can say that about it They also have the biggest Wal Mart I have ever seen.

Summers will be busy due to the lakes. It's the biggest town within driving distance for most.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I live the next county over in Fulton with the cheaper taxes (no city water/police, etc.).  Mountain Home is to City for me having come from IL I wanted more space.  But you might have a resonable time fnding a job there.  Population is about 11,000.  I understand that a lot of retired people live there.

http://www.ar-realestate.net - to find land/homes

http://www.baxterbulletinonline.com/ - Local paper.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to highjack this thread, but I have lived in the NW part of Arkansas all of my life.  NW Arkansas is NOT what it was 10 or 5 years ago by any means.  

In the next 2 or 3 years I will relocate to ether north of Kremmling, CO south of Steamboat Springs, CO or North of Pinedale, WY, I will decide this summer for sure.  I have scoped out both of these places for the last 4 years in the summer and the winter. Very pieceful and NO people.  
NW Arkansas is NOW a Zoo and there are people everywhere and the traffic is nuts.  I hate to leave my roots but this has become not the place I want to say for the rest of my life.

Hopefully you will find Mt. Home, Ark NOT to be like the NW part of the state..........A ZOO

MLC
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Mt. Home is nowhere near what NW Ark is yet.  Hopefully it won't get there.  I do some consulting and design work in NW Ark and it is crazy.  There is a lot going for the area, they just need to manage what is happening a little better.  Mt. Home is far enough removed form the area I don't think they will get much of the direct impact of the growth in the area.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a great place to live.  I had a high school girl friend that lived here.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mt. Home is nowhere near what NW Ark is yet.  Hopefully it won't get there.  I do some consulting and design work in NW Ark and it is crazy.  There is a lot going for the area, they just need to manage what is happening a little better.  Mt. Home is far enough removed form the area I don't think they will get much of the direct impact of the growth in the area.

Fast money tends to alter one's logic. Hope Mt Home does not get Yankeefied too much.
I left AZ because of the Kalifornication. Lets hope AR remains AR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top