Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 8:12:18 AM EDT
I have a carry permit but I don't know the legality of having a loaded AR, even in the back seat.  Will I get cuffed and stuffed if I have a cased, loaded AR?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a carry permit but I don't know the legality of having a loaded AR, even in the back seat.  Will I get cuffed and stuffed if I have a cased, loaded AR?
View Quote

a CHP has no bearing since you want to carry a AR, i assume a rifle with 16" barrel.

it is an open carry state, except for a few exceptions.  (withholding LB68 rant)

but asking for legal advice on the internet is not too good.  if you really want to know, go ask a lawyer.  i recommend Dick Clark from Dick Clark Law.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Admittedly I don't roll around cities with it there, but I've had no issues. Maintain your vehicle, drive defensively, have a CCW and a rational reason to have a rifle in the front seat and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
What I was thinking was just throwing the case on the back seat but it has pockets with five loaded mags in it.

I understand about asking advice on the Internet but sometimes people have experiences to share and that's all I'm looking for. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Legal to have a loaded rifle inside a vehicle, just not a shotgun.  Assuming of course like DHR said the barrel is 16" unless you have a stamp.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Legal to have a loaded rifle inside a vehicle, just not a shotgun.  Assuming of course like DHR said the barrel is 16" unless you have a stamp.
View Quote
Yeah, both of mine are just your basic 16" carbines with optics.  My concern is getting pulled over for some reason and a cop dragging me out of the Jeep.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That might still happen.  What would you do in their shoes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, both of mine are just your basic 16" carbines with optics.  My concern is getting pulled over for some reason and a cop dragging me out of the Jeep.  
I don't know, that's why I was asking how the law viewed it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The law says you can open carry a rifle. Sure, at least in my jurisdiction. Officers also have a huge latitude in how they conduct a traffic stop. I've had exactly one TS in my time with a guy with an AR in the front seat, and worked the stop fairly normally. But he was local, and I knew of him, if not him directly. But depending on the area, time, your actions, attitude, etc might change how I view things.  Every officer and agency would treat it differently. I know just for me, it would definitely peak my interests and awareness.

Most likely scenario, if I wanted to do anything other than a verbal warning? I'd ask you to step out of the car, and conduct the traffic enforcement action from my front seat after ensuring you didn't have a concealed weapon on you also. Is it a stop for something other than traffic? Whole different ball game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top