Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/1/2006 7:53:11 PM EDT
I plan on heading down there the weekend of the 8th or 15th. I spoke with them on last Friday. They said it should be some good shooting. I guess I will see. Anyone heading that way?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:27:40 AM EDT

I went about 3 weeks ago, make sure you check the wind forecast, When I went it was horrible.

Sustained 35-45 mph winds, needless to say the shooting sucked.

good luck
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:47:29 PM EDT
just a range, or pdog fun?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:57:01 AM EDT
I live there. Praire dogs, coyotes, rabbits, etc., you can shoot those all day long. Wind is a problem sometimes but if you live here you just have to learn to use it..LL
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:13:50 PM EDT
Just returned from CG's, Awesome day, 10mph wind. I covered every "hot spot" on the map north of the river. But there is only one problem. Very few dogs. Man what a waste of time. I was really wanting to get some shooting in. 25 rounds shot, 20 dogs went to heaven. Either somebody has been shooting the heck out of them this week, or there are not as many as people say there is.
I am used to seeing bare ground dog towns. The towns there were pretty grown over, like little activity. ???
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:56:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gunner75:
Just returned from CG's, Awesome day, 10mph wind. I covered every "hot spot" on the map north of the river. But there is only one problem. Very few dogs. Man what a waste of time. I was really wanting to get some shooting in. 25 rounds shot, 20 dogs went to heaven. Either somebody has been shooting the heck out of them this week, or there are not as many as people say there is.
I am used to seeing bare ground dog towns. The towns there were pretty grown over, like little activity. ???

You need to hit some different spots. If you received your maps from the USFS then you have some out dated maps no matter what the print date is. There have been new towns popping up all over the CNG for the last fives years or so. I've lived here for almost 40 yrs and drive all over the CNG for a living and I am constantly finding new towns that I know were not there 6 months before. Several of the older towns that that were consistantly hit hard have really thinned down and began to grow over. If you went to the one near the Trail Head (fenced in area, bathroom, water pump) it is a prime example, you used to able to shot there a day but not any more. However less than 5 miles away there is a very good town that is relatively new and probably not on the map. I don't believe the Forestry Service has kept up. I didn't shot any yesterday but I did a little spotting from the road at one town a counted at least 100 dogs. This would have been N of the river almost to the CO. line.
We had some shooters in from MO last year and they had locals guide them around and on their third and last day of shooting that quit early. Some had ran out of ammo and the others were just tired of shooting dogs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:03:51 PM EDT
We crossed the bottom heading north on the East side. Then we drove to the point of rocks. Followed trails and roads along that and north. We would come back and head further west. We made it to the cattle guard that has a fence on it. My GPS said we were like 1/2 mile from Colorado. We then backtracked east just a bit and headed north. There is a road that enters "what appears to be private ground" with mule marking on the cattleguard. From there we headed northwest At the outlet of that pasture, we headed west 1/4 mile. Not a bad town, but no dogs were popping there head up. North of that towards the abandoned gas plant, there was a pretty good town. But right on the highway. I don't think this mattered much due to the fact there were no vehicles within miles.
All in all, there were 8 towns or so. Much smaller than what I am used to. Just thought it would be much better. Cool country though.
How are the Rattle snakes down there?
We may head out next weekend and try it again if the wind isn't too bad.
Top Top