Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:46:35 PM EDT
Anyone know who/where to get the needed training for the CCW permit at an affordable price?  I'm hearing $175 at the least and closer to $200+ for it in addition to the $150 permit application.  Anyone know who is certified to do the training and is accessible and affordable?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That's total speculation on the price.  I spoke with a range owner today and he has no idea what the requirements for the class even are.  I called the Attorney General's office and they have no info yet.

The AG will pass on to the ranges what they need to teach.  Anything else you hear right now is total guesswork - especially pricing..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC it won't be legal til Jan of '07, so there is some time to go...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But with 180 day turn around you could start the process as early as July.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But with 180 day turn around you could start the process as early as July.

If you apply after July 1, 2006 it is 90 days.

(e) Within 180 days after the date of receipt of the items listed in
subsection (b), for applications received before July 1, 2007, and within 90 days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (b), for applications received on or after July 1, 2007, the attorney general shall:
(1) Issue the license; or
SB 418—Am. by H
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
as I posted in another thread, If you live near McPherson:

www.theoutbackpark.com

they are signing up and the course will be $175

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, but there is no way that any Instructor can tell you in good faith that their class will meet the minimum requirements for Kansas CCW.  Here is an e-mail that I received from the Attorney General's Office:

At this time we do not know the requirements, but have started the
process to begin drafting the regulations that will ultimately allow us
to establish them.  This process will likely take several months to
complete.

Whitney E. Watson
Director of Communications and Personnel
Office of Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline
120 S.W. 10th Avenue, 2nd Floor
Topeka, KS  66612-1597
785-296-2219

If part of the class price included any additional training that may be required to meet the minimums at a later date then you would be in good shape, a small bit of inconvenience perhaps, but you would not have to pay for another entire class.

There are entirely to many variables that cannot be accounted for at this time, SB418 was vague when it said 8 hours of training by an Instructor certified by the NRA.  What type of qualification course is going to be required?  What type of targets need to be used?  etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
as I posted in another thread, If you live near McPherson:

www.theoutbackpark.com

they are signing up and the course will be $175

Yeah, and that price puts the training out of my range when it's added to the $150 for the permit.  5th child is on the way, and the budget just doesn't have that kind of leeway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
This $175-$200 stuff is a ripoff..  Classes in other states are $100 or so.  I think you'll see prices drop to $100-$120 when more ranges offer them - don't pay $175 yet.

Plus, as has been pointed out, these ranges signing people up have no idea what the requirements for the class are going to be.  The AG hasn't said yet.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I agree that the AG has not laid down the rules yet for classes, but the Outback has already been providing training for Florida CCW permits so I would imagine they have some idea what the courses are going to cost to teach from their side.   Just something to keep in mind between now and when things go into effect.

Also, you can take the training prior (actually you have to have completed it if I read the bill right) before you submit your application.  I did not read anywhere where there was a time limit between training and application submittal, unless I missed it.

I have no problem with the costs, and I expect them to actually increase once they figure out staffing levels and funding.  This is not a hunting permit, this is something that people are going to have to think long and hard about applying for.  In my mind this brings with it great responsibilty.  I think one reason for the high fees involved is the "numbnuts" factor.....ie. keeping numbnuts out of the mix.  Another thing to consider, and I'll need to check other CCW states, is what will this do to say....liabilty insurance, both home and car?  Anyone taken a look at that?  Once a permit is issued, will extra riders on insurance be needed.  Anyone checked thier riders on their cars and such?  I'm asking because I just dont have a clue, but I wont be surprised if havign a CCW will effect your rates and coverages.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This $175-$200 stuff is a ripoff..  Classes in other states are $100 or so.  I think you'll see prices drop to $100-$120 when more ranges offer them - don't pay $175 yet.

Plus, as has been pointed out, these ranges signing people up have no idea what the requirements for the class are going to be.  The AG hasn't said yet.

MO went through this - when the CCW bill was new and/or being contested, you could easily find classes in the $200 to $350 ballpark (8 hour class, including 50 rounds of range time, so fairly likely to be similar to KS from what I read in the bill).  Now, once things have settled down, it's easy enough to find classes in the $125 ballpark.

That said - wait until the A.G. determines what a class is, and then check with them to see if a class you're interested in meets their standards.

It's likely that classes that meet other state standards for an 8 hour class with range time will meet KS's, but nothing is for certain.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#12]
FWIW - Talked about getting into a class with one of the staff members at Bullseye in Wichita and he said they have a waiting list but do not know what the requirements will be or what the cost will be.  A couple weeks ago the waiting list was in the upper 80's and they were only going to be able to take about 8-12 in a class at a time.  They were also unsure if they would even qualify with the state to train people and were afraid that it might have to be done by LE.  

Also, after looking at some of the qualifications of that McPherson range, I think I'm going to head up there and check it out this weekend if all goes well.  Sounds like a nice place.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Based on my experience many years ago when Oklahoma started out.   I paid in the neighborhood of $125.00 for the class and then all the other cash.  

When it was all said and done I was out nearly $250.00  if my memory serves me well. I was one of the first in the state to get my permit.   Lots of hurry up and wait.  Took a class, made appointment with the sheriff for fingerprinting and sending it all in and waiting.   Then delays on everyone.    I got mine and then they had a stopage because of some glitch that put everyone else out 90 to 120 days.  

Now members of RedCastle Gun Club in OKLA. can take a class for aprox. 50-60 bucks.

The guys at either bullseye or the bullet stop will shoot straight with you.  

I'd also see if Kent Radcliff in Dexter is going to be offering anything.  

It's exciting I know.    Just be patient.   Take the time and think about what you would carry now that it's legal.  Keep in mind that once the "novelty" wears off you'll have to lug around the roscoe.  It's a royal pain to carry a big gun.   Don't get into the trap of leaving it off because it's uncomfortable.   Get something you won't leave at home.  

Consider shooting IDPA with your chosen setup.   I will guaranteeeeeeeee you will find out the flaws, if any in your set up.  Plus it gives you some fun trigger time instead of the old stand still and pop the old police targets.

Just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top