Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 1:04:11 PM EDT

Home | Current Legislation | Get Involved Locally | Register To Vote
Contribute

Kansas Moving a Step Closer to Personal Protection!

Senate Bill 418, "The Personal and Family Protection Act" sponsored by Senator Phil Journey (R-26) has passed the Senate. SB 418 is scheduled for an upcoming vote in the House Federal and State Affairs Committee, bringing Kansans a step closer to personal protection.

The Second Amendment needs YOUR help!

We are asking if you will take 10 minutes out of your day to do the following:

· First, call your State Representative at (785) 296-2456 and ask him or her to support SB 418;

· Second, start contacting Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D) toll-free at (877) 579-6757, local (785) 296-6240, via email at www.ksgovernor.org/comment.html, or fax (785) 368-8788 and respectfully ask her to sign SB 418 when it reaches her desk.

Ask your friends, family members, and co-workers to help get the word out to their State Representative and Governor Sebelius. The time has come for Kansans to be trusted to protect themselves and their loved ones!

To find further contact information please use the

"Write Your Representative" feature found at www.NRAILA.org.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I cant stress passing this bill enough. Many of us feel we are ignored by the Government of our state. Ol Kathy has her ways, but she still is a politician. she wants votes. people in government count 1 letter as the voice of hundreds. every letter that tells her office about lowered violent crime rates, that pushes for the right of the individual, that expresses our discontent with her pushes us closer to victory. if you havnt written, you have signed her veto for her. each of us has to act. write a letter, then have everytone you know send it in. i mean it. most people will not say no when you ask them. friends are cool like that. this has to happen now. DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!! we are heading into an election cycle. this is the time when we have the most voice. she wants your vote. tell her she has to pay. please, send something. call if you must. just hammer her in the coming weeks.

also, call your local reps. they can pressure her too. remember, they like the job too. topekas not so bad once you get a gig under the green roof.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If they pass a concealed carry bill in KS, I will move there! I live real close to the border and I eventually would like to get some NFA goodies, but Dont want to move to a state that doesnt allow CC.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure KS does not allow NFA items of any type last time I checked.  I'm staying on the MO side.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
MO is preferable to KS in terms of NFA items.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI  guys SBR and AOW are legal in KS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That is cool, and something that I did not know.

I have always heard that all class III stuff is illegal, but searching the state statutes doesn't turn up anything. Can someone point me to the Kansas laws that pertain to class III, AOW and SBRs?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If they pass a concealed carry bill in KS, I will move there! I live real close to the border and I eventually would like to get some NFA goodies, but Dont want to move to a state that doesnt allow CC.

Nathan

Why don't you move to NE?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone point me to the Kansas laws that pertain to class III, AOW and SBRs?

I second this!  I have always been told that SBR, Class III, and AOW are illegal in KS?  Someone please set me straight.  I cannot find any HARD proof that this is true but welcome anyone to please, please, please tell me I'm wrong.  If KS has these things I'm never leaving.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen that SBR's and AOW's are legal in the state.  But not machine guns.  But like the other poster I've never been able to see any hard proof or legal documentation.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You team members can do a search in this forum SBR in KS? We went through this a couple of months ago. The Ks state statute is 21-4201 I think. It does not tell you what you can do, only penalties for what you can't.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You team members can do a search in this forum SBR in KS? We went through this a couple of months ago. The Ks state statute is 21-4201 I think. It does not tell you what you can do, only penalties for what you can't.

Is this what you are asking for?      LINKY
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, that's the one. When I started that thread I recieved several PMs from members in KS who have some awesome toys. I learned real quick to not to rely on the statements of others, most often they are only repeating what they "heard" from someone else. Bottom line is if you send form 1 and a check, the worst that can happen is that they will reject it and refund your 200 clams.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Step Closer for Personal Protection in Kansas!

Today, Tuesday, March 14, Senate Bill 418, "The Personal and Family Protection Act" passed the Kansas House of Representatives with a vote of 90 to 33! This important legislation sponsored by Senator Phil Journey (R-26) is now heading back to the Senate for expected concurrence.  

The Governor needs to hear Kansans want their

Second Amendment Rights Protected!

Start contacting Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D) toll-free at (877) 579-6757, local at (785) 296-6240, via email at www.ksgovernor.org/comment.html, or fax (785) 368-8788 and respectfully ask her to sign SB 418 when it reaches her desk.

Spread the word to your friends, family members, and co-workers to help out by calling Governor Sebelius.  The time has come for Kansans to be trusted to protect themselves and their loved ones!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
man oh man....kansas, nebraska, AND wisconsin all stand a chance to get CCW passed this session!

that would make 49 states that are at least may-issue, with iowa possibly standardizing training across the state and illinois the only state that wouldn't have a right to carry.

it's been a long time coming, but man that's just awesome.

here's hoping for the best for KS/NE/WI this session.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
man oh man....kansas, nebraska, AND wisconsin all stand a chance to get CCW passed this session!

that would make 49 states that are at least may-issue, with iowa possibly standardizing training across the state and illinois the only state that wouldn't have a right to carry.

it's been a long time coming, but man that's just awesome.

here's hoping for the best for KS/NE/WI this session.

We are hoping but Gov isn't likely to let it pass here.  I just read the Topeka Capital Journal today, from her own mouth (so to speak) that she is opposed to the bill.  She strongly feels that only police and retired LEO should be allowed to "secretly" carry.  She vetoed inspight of overwhelming correspondence to the contrary last time.  It will take ALOT to sway her... better yet we need our "lawmakers" to just take away her veto this time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is what I wrote in a letter to the Gov.

Governor,

I am a law abiding Kansas citizen that is very concerned about crime in our state.  I feel that I should be entitled to legally carry a firearm to protect my family and myself from those in our society that prey on others.  I feel that many of the horrendous crimes that have been committed against others, such as those committed by the Carr brothers and BTK would have had a much different outcome had the victims been properly trained in the use and legally able to carry a firearm.  Those cases also make it clear that State Law Enforcement Agencies do not have the ability to protect me and my family from those prone to acts of violence.

I do not understand why you feel that Kansans are not as responsible as those in the overwhelming majority of states that have passed concealed carry firearms laws.  Especially when the data indicates that the states that have passed these laws have seen a reduction in violent crime.

The House and Senate have overwhelming approved this bill.  They are not championing this issue in a vacuum.  They are listening to their constituents and they speak for the majority of Kansans.  Don’t disregard our voices.   I urge you to support HB2439 and allow me to the same rights granted to citizens of other states.  Supporters of this bill vote and will continue to push for a concealed carry law.  We are politically active and vote.  We will continue to push this issue and will continue to vote for politicians that support concealed carry and replace those that do not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, it passed the House today 90 to 33, veto proof if everyone votes the way they did. Here is a list of the results, contact your Rep. as needed, if they voted yes, encourage them to do so again when, not if the Governor vetoes it. If they voted no, be sure to let them know that you will be doing everything in your power to make sure that they lose their job.

SB 418, An act enacting the personal and family protection act; providing for licensure to carry certain concealed weapons; prohibiting certain acts and prescribing penalties for violations; amending K.S.A. 2005 Supp. 12-4516, 21-4201 and 21-4619 and repealing the existing sections, was considered on final action.

On roll call, the vote was: Yeas 90; Nays 33; Present but not voting: 0; Absent or not voting: 2.

Yeas: Aurand, Beamer, Bethell, Brown, Brunk, Burgess, Burroughs, Carlson, Carter, Craft, Dahl, DeCastro, Decker, Edmonds, Faber, Feuerborn, Flora, Freeborn, Gatewood, George, Goico, Gordon, Grange, Hayzlett, Henry, C. Holmes, M. Holmes, Horst, Huebert, Humerickhouse, Hutchins, Huy, D. Johnson, E. Johnson, Kelley, Kelsey, Kiegerl, Kilpatrick, Kinzer, Knox, Landwehr, Lane, Light, Long, Loyd, Lukert, Mah, Mast, Masterson, Mays, McCreary, McKinney, McLeland, Menghini, Merrick, F. Miller, Jim Morrison, Judy Morrison, Myers, Neufeld, O’Neal, Oharah, Olson, Otto, Pauls, Peck, Peterson, Pilcher-Cook,Powell, Powers, Proehl, Ruff, Ruiz, Sawyer, Schwab, Schwartz, B. Sharp, Shultz, Siegfreid, Sloan, Svaty, Swenson, Tafanelli, Trimmer, Vickrey, Ward, Watkins, Weber, Wilk, Williams.

Nays: Ballard, Carlin, Colloton, Cox, Crow, Davis, Dillmore, Faust-Goudeau, Flaharty, Garcia, Hawk, Henderson, Hill, Holland, Huff, Huntington, Kirk, Krehbiel, Kuether, Loganbill, M. Miller, O’Malley, Owens, Phelps, Pottorff, Roth, S. Sharp, Storm, Thull, Treaster, Wolf, Yoder, Yonally.

Present but not voting: None.
Absent or not voting: Grant, Winn.
The bill passed, as amended.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:32:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here is what I wrote in a letter to the Gov.

Governor,

I am a law abiding Kansas citizen that is very concerned about crime in our state.  I feel that I should be entitled to legally carry a firearm to protect my family and myself from those in our society that prey on others.  I feel that many of the horrendous crimes that have been committed against others, such as those committed by the Carr brothers and BTK would have had a much different outcome had the victims been properly trained in the use and legally able to carry a firearm.  Those cases also make it clear that State Law Enforcement Agencies do not have the ability to protect me and my family from those prone to acts of violence.

I do not understand why you feel that Kansans are not as responsible as those in the overwhelming majority of states that have passed concealed carry firearms laws.  Especially when the data indicates that the states that have passed these laws have seen a reduction in violent crime.

The House and Senate have overwhelming approved this bill.  They are not championing this issue in a vacuum.  They are listening to their constituents and they speak for the majority of Kansans.  Don’t disregard our voices.   I urge you to support HB2439 and allow me to the same rights granted to citizens of other states.  Supporters of this bill vote and will continue to push for a concealed carry law.  We are politically active and vote.  We will continue to push this issue and will continue to vote for politicians that support concealed carry and replace those that do not.

Awesome scalhoun!  I hope you don't mind if I use this letter myself?  I have already sent several emails, but  your version is much better than mine, and I have some friends who could use it as well.
Thanks!
Hakim
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:29:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Feel free to use it if you like.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks!  You working for Boeing down there in Wichita?  I saw your post on the Kansas members check in thread.  I have a friend who use to work down there for boeing, but now is in Huntsville AL.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks!  You working for Boeing down there in Wichita?  I saw your post on the Kansas members check in thread.  I have a friend who use to work down there for boeing, but now is in Huntsville AL.

I worked for Boeing for about 26 years but now am with Spirit AeroSystems.  Spirit purchased the Wichita operations of the comercial ariplane division of Boeing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
We in Iowa are envious.  Even if your gov vetos it, you were able to get it to her desk.  We couldn't even get "shall issue" past the study bill stage.

Good luck getting that veto overridden.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
welcome to the club GUYS in KS. I only live 60 mins from the ks line but never cross it hope now ks will take are cwl in a year or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top