Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 12:26:11 PM EDT
I don't wanna hear no whining about the temperature.  Move out of Nebraska if you don't like it.  

That said...

Air Combat Command has decided the world can fend for itself for a few days, so they gave us a 4-day weekend in light of the holiday on Monday.  Sunday a few of us will be making the trek to Hamburg Bend for a nice rat-a-tat-tat session.  All those who wish to join and have the marbles to endure a chill in the air are welcome to join us.  We usually end up there at or just after high noon, shoot for a few hours, then go back home and drink and clean.  

If you do come, try to bring a tarp or picnic blanket to help catch brass/empties.  makes it a lot easier and quicker for cleanup when we're done.  It's a bring-your-own target thing too, so plastic bottles full of water, clay pigeons, large pieces of cardboard with targets attached, etc. are fine.  Please, nothing flammable.  It's public ground; let's make sure it stays that way.

Feel free to IM or email me for directions or other info.  Any legal firearm is welcome; NFA owners are encouraged to have a copy of their documentation on hand.  We haven't had any problems yet, but the boy scouts have a good mantra.

ETA:  it was requested that the addition of a request for no alcohol to be present be made, for obvious safety and legal reasons.  It's not allowed on the WMA anyway, so yeah.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I work every other weekend. I was off last Sunday when I was out there shooting; ergo, I can't make it to this one.

Keep us informed when you plan to go out again. Our last trip was sort of a recon to check the place out. We'll put the word out next time we go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds good.  stay safe out there.  lotsa meth crap goin on.

dunno if your office knows yet or not, but a few folks on the NGPC web forum have been talking about seeing some very suspicious individuals at Tobacco Island WMA just south of Plattsmouth.  how much truth there is to it?  eh, who knows.  ah well.

hopefully i arrive home sunday evening with all fingers and toes intact.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I might be able to make it, I just googled it, its about 45 min away from me.  Its only gonna be 10-20 degrees, but cant be any worse than it was today!  I might bring the sks, but I only have about 100rnds of ammo!  How many are going?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
right now it's just 3 of us (me + 2), but we'll have a 6-man dome tent set up with some chairs and stools to keep any wind off us (and help keep spent casing litter to a minimum).  Cold air isn't so bad; we've been out there plenty when it's cold, it's just the wind that can bite into you.

Should make for a fun afternoon.

I'll be at the Fun Show in fremont tomorrow (not to buy, just to touch ) in a red/white/black plaid quilted button-down shirt.  standard military issue haircut too.  i'll be with a guy who's about 6'3" or so, glasses, and blond hair (also short, but he's an officer so he can get away with more ).
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.
I'll know more tomorrow. I'm pretty sre that I'm not on call this weekend.

ETA: Is a park permit required?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
no park permit necessary.

take 75 south out of Nebraska City.  You'll see a sign for the OPPD plant--turn left (east) on that road.  Follow it up and down a couple small hills; it will curve to the right and take you along the top of the ridge that lines the river valley.  Descend into the river valley toward OPPD.  You'll see a small gravel parking area to the right--take the gravel road that goes past it (you'll turn right off the paved road).  Follow that gravel road all the way until it ends.  you'll be at hamburg bend.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, guys that was alot of fun, I look foward to doing it again sometime.   Took diff route home, seems to cut of 15min.  Now I just need to find MORE ammo.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
had a blast myself as well.  i'll be out there again next weekend, but probably just with my turkey gun.  gotta get it patterned in time for the bruises to heal before the season starts
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for the invite. It was fun!
Also good to meet some local ArfCom's.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I may have to head down there one of these times.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
yes sir giff, you might.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I might have to stop out,  if ya don't mind... considering I live down here in Nebraska City....
Rich
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If I lived in Neb city, I would go there all the time!  Good thing I live 45min away!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have shoot down there several times...  I like it down there its a great place to be in the spring and summer cause there is very few people who do use it..... when it's hunting time I stay away cause all the hunters from Omaha and lincoln and other bigger town go down there....
Rich
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
So Sunday it is? Are we setting an official time to meet up?

I work nights and keep the same sleep schedule on my days off, so noon is about as early I'd like to rise. That means having everything packed up the night before, I could be out the door by about 12:30.

What do you guys say?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I don't have a ton of ammo, but I'm always down like a clown, charlie brown.  

I can bring my bolt-action .222 that just got back from my friend's place in S.D. (he was eradicating some PD towns) and i think i've got 100 for the AK's, plus I could probably bring my backup for turkey season and pattern it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn. I'd like to make it out there but I won't be able to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend and I are going to hike down to the river.... tomarrow sometime so we might see ya...
Rich
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
if you're in the area i'm sure you'll hear us if nothing else.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#20]
currently 39* with 16mph winds gusting to 21mph.

I've got a dome tent i'll bring to keep the wind off us and help catch casings.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
well, we got halfway home and i realized i'd left my cardboard out there.   if anyone got it, feel free to toss it on the curb next trash pickup.  sorry bout that!!

enjoyed meeting you guys; looking forward to many more shoots as the ammo supply grows in my house.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm honored to meet more people who enjoy to shoot and pick up after themself..... most of the trash down there is from the locals who don't care about anything but themselves... I'm glad you guys really enjoy it down here... Maybe we will run into each other again....
happy shooting
Later
Rich
P.s.  Rich is my real name
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top