Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2017 11:32:45 AM EDT
I am moving to Alaska next month.  I am driving up, I have learned that I can bring up to 5,000 rounds through Canada with me.  I have also learned that only a couple online retailers will ship to alaska since it has to be coordinated through barge, and when I checked it was about $110 to ship 500 rounds of rifle cartridges from JG sales to Alaska.  

So my question lies in are there decent deals at local shops(including the PX on post) where I shouldn't worry about having to bring up tons of ammo with me?  Or will I pay tons more buying it once I get there?  Calibers I'd mainly be interested in bringing/buying there being 5.56, 12 gauge, 10mm and .338 lapua.  

I'm not a rich man by any means, but if its going to save me $100s of dollars I'll put together some funds to buy 5,000 rounds to bring with me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Alaska has stores.  Kind of hard to believe, but there are.  Jerk Joke.  I don't buy much ammo, so I can't be real specific, but you will find ammo in AK.  Not sure on pricing, but EVERYTHING costs more in AK.  Sportsman's WH is my first stop for gunning stores.  ANC has Cabela's, Bass Pro, and others.  Artic Ammo in Wasilla is a nice shop.  Walmart, Fred Meyers and other general stores all sell ammo.

5K is the duty free limit through Canada.  You can get a permit to carry more, but I chose to stay under the limits while going through Canada.  If you have something odd, I'd buy and bring extra brass even if you don't reload.    You can bring 5K of brass with you.  5K primers.  Some odd metric amount of gunpowder (17 or 18 # from my foggy memory).  All things, ammo, primers, brass, and powder seem to be in good supply right now in AK.  Subject to change at any time.

Bare bullets and brass can be mailed.  Flat rate USPS is the best deal going.  I think it around 70# max for $20.  I mailed most of my bulk lead, bullets and brass.  The mail man hated to see me come through the door!  Getting some sellers to ship to AK can be a problem, other times all is good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  Yes I am aware there are stores there lol.  Was just wondering if 5.56 is something ridiculous like $1 a round or something when its 30 cents a round in the lower 48.  But it sounds like its not ridiculously more expensive.  I'll probably bring some of the harder to find more expensive 10mm and .338 but not bring cases on cases of 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
An ammo stores opened in Fairbanks just prior to me moving away (a year ago).  I was able to buy 50 Beowulf ammo and 6.5 Grendel ammo whenever I needed it.  Prices were not horrible either.  I wouldn't sweet ammo availability.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Was just in Three Bears.  338L brass was $45.79 for 20?  Buffalo Bore 10MM 220HC $25.89 box.  CCI MiniMags 300 count was $23.99.

The shelves were pretty well stocked.  Wife drug me away from the gun counter before I could write down any more information.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I just moved up last year, and I stocked up a little before the move.  I'm glad I did, but if you shop the sales prices aren't outrageous.  Retail prices (i.e. Walmart, Bass Pro, LGS's) seem slightly higher than the lower 48.  The big thing you'll miss out on is being able to order from SG Ammo.  

My recommendation is to bring what you can.  If you're stationed here in ANC, watch for the offers when you can buy Cabelas gift cards for 18-20% off, and then wait until Cabelas puts whatever you need on sale.  Their sales cycle through the various brands fairly regularly.  Between the money saved on the gift card and the sale, you won't be paying much more than you do now.  Also, check out Alaska Ammo's facebook page to get an idea of what their recent sale prices have been like.  

And if you have the opportunity to fly out to visit family or friends, or if they come to visit you, Alaska Airlines lets you check up to 50 lb. of ammo.  There were a few things SG Ammo carried that I couldn't get elsewhere, so I had it shipped to family and then brought it back on a recent trip.  Alaska Air has a promo called Club 49 that allows Alaska residents to get two free checked bags on flights going in or out of state.  

Don't worry, you'll figure out a way to make it work.  And if you're looking for a church in Anchorage, I know where to find a good one.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.  Yes I am aware there are stores there lol.  Was just wondering if 5.56 is something ridiculous like $1 a round or something when its 30 cents a round in the lower 48.  But it sounds like its not ridiculously more expensive.  I'll probably bring some of the harder to find more expensive 10mm and .338 but not bring cases on cases of 5.56.
View Quote
Where are you moving? Anchorage area or more north? 5.56 by the case is usually around $.40 a round. Wolf Gold is available for a bit under that. Sportsman Warehouse is usually more spendy unless they have a sale. 
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I just moved up here from TX in December. I sure do miss ordering through the internet, especially SG. The ammo is higher here but it's not that bad. You can also take into account there isn't any sales tax which added to the price in TX and internet orders, which I always had to figure into the sales and shipping costs.

I shipped my car from Seattle and buried a few firearms in the trunk and beneath stuff in the back seat. Which supposedly weren't supposed to be in there. I'm kicking myself for not including a couple cases of 7.62, 9mm and .45.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The permit for more than 5k is free fyi.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Besides reloading I got most of my ammo from these guys: http://10mmbelow.com/index.html

They were about 5% above lucky gunner prices for bulk ammo, but I moved away a little over a year ago.

I also got ammo from Cabelas when they would have a sale + coupon + mil discount. I got a bunch of 7.62x39 for like $3.49 a box doing this.

Have fun up there!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife and I drove back down to the states this past week (work moving us to Georgia ).  I flew all my guns and mags to Georgia already, with the exception of my 1911, kept that for bears and such while we were still in AK.  Did however have all my ammo, 7k rds total, split into 4k in my car, 3k in wife's car.

Got to the border at Beaver Creek to go into Canada, tell the guy I've got 7k rds total with one gun.  He looked at me kinda funny, asked why I had so much ammo for only one gun   Told him I flew them all to GA, dude asks me if I have a receipt showing that I did

In the end, no real hassle, had all my paperwork together for the restricted firearm along with firearm declaration, made it through pretty quickly.

And the road between Beaver Creek and Destruction Bay seemed MUCH improved over last year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What part of AK you coming to?   If i may ask.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What part of AK you coming to?   If i may ask.
View Quote
Fairbanks. Got here earlier this week.

Ended up bringing a few hundred rounds of .338 and harder to find 10mm.

Canadian border gave me a bit of a hassle about it. Kept insisting I must have a gun too and to just tell them about it. Made me park and go inside to be questioned further. Wanted the manifest of all my goods shipped to Alaska that I couldn't readily provide them. Wanted to call my parents where I said my 10mm was stored so they could read them the serial number. After a while they just gave up and let me go.

I've only been to Fred Myers and Walmart so far and the prices seem quite a bit higher than the lower 48 on ammo. Fred Myers more so than Walmart. Gonna check out some LGS eventually.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad your trip went OK and you made it safely.  Enjoy your stay in AK.  

Canada BP is a strange beast.  We have had the worst treatment from US.  This last trip I had no guns, no ammo, but powder and primers.  Canada asked several questions: "Do you have any holsters with you?"  Like I might have had a loaded round in the belt I didn't tell them about.  Nope, no holsters. Overall he was pretty nice. I don't envy either side their job.  Try to keep your people safe, make sure the law is followed, put up with jerks, either long lines or boring waits between people. It was really late when I rolled into AK BP and thank goodness the guy was really nice...and the road improved a LOT over Can. roads, they were worse than in May.  One more trip (last one!) before the snow.

Edit: and it looks like I got the Wife's glass display case up here without breaking any of the glass!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fairbanks. Got here earlier this week.

Ended up bringing a few hundred rounds of .338 and harder to find 10mm.

Canadian border gave me a bit of a hassle about it. Kept insisting I must have a gun too and to just tell them about it. Made me park and go inside to be questioned further. Wanted the manifest of all my goods shipped to Alaska that I couldn't readily provide them. Wanted to call my parents where I said my 10mm was stored so they could read them the serial number. After a while they just gave up and let me go.

I've only been to Fred Myers and Walmart so far and the prices seem quite a bit higher than the lower 48 on ammo. Fred Myers more so than Walmart. Gonna check out some LGS eventually.
View Quote
Visit http://10mmbelow.com/
They have a Fairbanks store now. Prices OK but no shortage of calibers, at least not here in Anchorage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top