Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2017 3:56:03 PM EDT
Thinking of moving to AK in the next year or so if i'm able to transfer. My question is what is the best way to get my firearms (30+) up there?

For people who moved from the lower 48 did you send from your local FFL to a FFL up there (Thinking this would be very costly) or am I better off selling off everything and re buying? Wanting the most cost effective solution.

Would taking a ferry from WA to AK in my truck loaded up be the best way to avoid everything? Thanks for the help and advice in advance!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
All depends on where and when your moving. The ferry goes to Kodiak from Bellingham. The dock in Prince Rupert  is Alaska state property until you go through customs.
If you move  in a pickup, ship your stuff.  If you get a u haul take it with you. The ferry will be about 4k dollars depending on the destination. Aml is less with more damage.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully you have contacts for a job because lots of people getting laid off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
#1 Check the regulations for any method you might use.

I flew many of my guns on Alaska Air.  They've always been great to me and the Wife.  I had a bad experience with United and won't fly with them if I'm paying.  I was coming to Ak anyways, so there was no special trip just for the guns.  A gun case plus several long guns start to weigh a lot real fast.  Watch the weight limit!  Follow the rules.

The ferry was a great experience and I moved several guns at that time.  I built a "false floor" in the bed of the pickup and piled my bagged and protected guns in it and piled other stuff on top.  The cost of the ferry has gone up a LOT! You pay for yourself, the truck, and a room if you want one. You can sleep on the deck and some areas to save $, but the small room was worth the $ to me.

I took  several guns through Canada with our pickup and trailer.  Only long guns, only "fudd" guns.  Have the paper work ready for them.  We've been through Canada several times and they have always been nice to us.  With the guns we had to go inside while they did whatever it is they do...all they did was paperwork and we didn't have to show them any of the guns.  We listed the guns on two sets of form, half for me and half for the Wife, with a fee of $25 for each set, but the agent "moved" them all onto one form and only charged us $25 total.  Edits: I've Uhauled powder, primers, etc. on other trips.  Read and follow all their rules, they have some strange ones!

Ammo, powder, and primers (in large amounts) have been a much bigger problem for me to move than the guns.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
As of last July it was 5k rds of ammo and 5k primers PER PERSON in the vehicle. Powder was some metric number i can't remember off hand. Handguns and "large capacity" mags were a no go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you very much for all the replies and input!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As of last July it was 5k rds of ammo and 5k primers PER PERSON in the vehicle. Powder was some metric number i can't remember off hand. Handguns and "large capacity" mags were a no go.
View Quote
And if you need to bring more than the 5k rounds, you can fill out a Form F04-01C (application for In Transit Permit) to bring more. That was free and easy.

I did this when I moved up, but the movers took care of all the firearms.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Look into a transit permit. It's free and you can travel with A LOT of ammo.  Did it when I left AK in 2015.
ETA Jason beat me to it!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top