Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2017 8:44:52 PM EDT
3 couples coming to Juneau Aug 4 for a week, We have a AirBnB lined up and rental cars at the airport.

Looking for ideas for dinner choices if we decide not to cook, suggestions for a good steak, BBQ joint, Wing joint etc.

Looking to do some fishing, whale watching, glacier stuff.

Any places to avoid if we venture out? ie Bad Service, Crappy Food etc.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
3 couples coming to Juneau Aug 4 for a week, We have a AirBnB lined up and rental cars at the airport.
Where are you staying? Downtown, Douglas, Out The Road?

Looking for ideas for dinner choices if we decide not to cook, suggestions for a good steak, BBQ joint, Wing joint etc.

Steak... Cook your own. BBQ... Fatmo's, Take out only, the gun store he is located at is lousy, don't go in. Wing's... not here. You don't come to Alaska and eat wings. I don't go to Toledo for crab.

Lots of Charters for fishing. Allen Marine is the whale watching boats that are good. Tracy Arm is a good day cruise that is worth the money. Sign up early on the Adventure Bound.

The Twisted Fish sucks and is expensive. Downtown is a tourist trap and locals stay out for the most part. The Sandbar is a dump, But has the best fish and chips in the world. Call me if you go there, The wife and I don't miss a chance to go.

As always, Email or PM for more info or details about your trip. Don't be a tourist, visit like a local.

Thanks in advance
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I dont live there, so I'd take this advice over mine, but I do travel there a lot for work.  I'll second the Sandbar & Grill, the place is a dive, but I always stop in when I'm in Juneau. I usually get the fish and chips, but I branched out last week and got the battered halibut sandwich, pretty good.  Their clam chowder is good too.

He's also right that downtown sucks, except Seongs if you like sushi.

ETA Oh, Canton asian bistro has pretty good seafood curry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe you are in for a little shock when you get to Juneau
View Quote
You are more than right. I see a lot of disappointment in his trip if he doesn't do his homework. I'm sure I'll talk to him further.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Will be PMing you, have been busy as hell at work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe you are in for a little shock when you get to Juneau
View Quote
That sucks, can you be more specific?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where are you staying? Downtown, Douglas, Out The Road?

I will find out the address, our friend booked the house

Steak... Cook your own. BBQ... Fatmo's, Take out only, the gun store he is located at is lousy, don't go in. Wing's... not here. You don't come to Alaska and eat wings. I don't go to Toledo for crab.

Lots of Charters for fishing. Allen Marine is the whale watching boats that are good. Tracy Arm is a good day cruise that is worth the money. Sign up early on the Adventure Bound.

The Twisted Fish sucks and is expensive. Downtown is a tourist trap and locals stay out for the most part. The Sandbar is a dump, But has the best fish and chips in the world. Call me if you go there, The wife and I don't miss a chance to go.

As always, Email or PM for more info or details about your trip. Don't be a tourist, visit like a local.

Will PM you. Thanks

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Island Pub in Douglas has great pizza as well as Roma pizzeria on the wharf. Chan's Thai is good in Auke Bay, prepare for a wait outside.
Hike False outer point out the road in Douglas, cool rainforest walk, easy trail, and mostly locals.
Eagle beach is worth the drive to walk out at low tide. You can go out about a mile on the sand, but the tide comes in FAST. You will be up to your waist in no time if you don't watch the chart. 45 degrees is still cold.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there any golf courses in Juneau? We usually try and play a round on trips.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
A bad 9 hole. In the industrial area near the Sandbar. No carts walking only. Not sure about club rental.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Bummer about the golf course, thanks again for all the info so far.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw Mendenhall Glacier, went whale watching, salmon fishing, saw a momma bear with 3 cubs just outside Mendenhall.

Was an amazing time, would recommend it to anyone.

Really didn't go out much to eat, cooked at the house, did some duck farts at Red Dog.

Took like 700 pics, got some good whale ones and salmon ones.

Caught a 30.5" Silver, and 5 other smaller silvers, great eating for 3 days, froze the rest and brought them home.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice. Glad you had a good time. It is a very cool place to live, but you have to get out and do things all the time. Saw five bears today, two surprised me and I had to back away.
Share the good.times with the folks back in the Midwest. Your welcome back anytime.  Look me up next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top