Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:20:45 PM EDT
Hello all,

I am leaning on my AR15 family and would like to see if you could help me and my brother out.   My brother traveled out to Alaska for an adventure and right now is homeless and jobless.  He is staying at a hostel at this point in time but is really running low on funds.  He has been looking for work and has had no luck to this point in time.  He is 30 and is only got a backpack, lab top, and a camera.  He is very good at surviving with little to none but this is a foreign  place for him and knows no one.  He is a jack of many trades and at this point would do anything to stay warm and have food in the belly.  He is a member here on the forums and home town is Atlanta Ga.  So I know its really odd for him to take this adventure in.  I told him I would post here because I know many of you have been helpful in many ways.  I have made many friends here and call his site a home away from home.  I am leaning on you if at all you can help in any way.  My family would be most gracious for your help.  

Thank you and take care!

Gordon

Again he is in Anchorage AK at this point in time.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If he is clean and sober, he should have no problem getting a job.  Home Depot, Lowes, McDonalds, Burger King, Red Robin, WalMart, etc

Not a lot of money, but something is something.

What kind of work history does he have?

The state of AK website has a link to Alaska Jobs, many jobs posted
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of help?  

Like UAF said, if he is clean and sober, he can get a job.  There are places that can help, he just needs to ask.  It is not like this is an uncommon sort of thing here.

I hope he gets through alright, and kind of envy him.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wondering, what kind of adventure did he come up here for?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If he is clean and sober, he should have no problem getting a job.  Home Depot, Lowes, McDonalds, Burger King, Red Robin, WalMart, etc

Not a lot of money, but something is something.

What kind of work history does he have?

The state of AK website has a link to Alaska Jobs, many jobs posted

+100
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for your help, I have forwarded the IMs that were sent.  Evan thank you so much for your help.  

My brother is clean and sober and has had retail management jobs in the mainland.  As for the adventure, he would have to speak on that one, I think he wanted a change and he always been one for adventure!

If anyone else has any more advice please feel free to post.  

Again thank you so much for your help!

G
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Check your IM.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi guys, my brother told me he had put out some feelers of sorts here, and so I thought I'd follow on over to see what's up? He is, after all, my older brother and always looking out for his "kid" siblings. None the less, I thought I'd hop on and say thanks for the concern and info.

As for me, yes, I'm 100% clean and sober (with the occasional beer or glass of wine with dinner). My current situation is that I came up here under the premise that I had a place to stay and a job lined up, but before I arrived, found that my friend who had moved here had found out that her father had had a stroke and her mother said that she needed her there to help out. Subsequently, she quit her job here, put her stuff in storage and broke her lease and hopped on a plane back to the South. So, here I am.

I came up here to finish writing a book I've been working on for the last two years. I needed a change of pace and some head space. I also dabble in photography, as what I write tends to revolve around travel and the people I meet and the things I see, so it was natural to want to further document my experiences. I'm sort of the vagabond type, though I usually go somewhere and stay, working hard for many months to a few years. This has given me the ability to check out the lower 48 and now, with Alaska, I have only one state left in this great country to experience. Though, in all honesty, I have a feeling I may be here for a while. I got in just before Augustine blew, and honestly, the entire situation has been beautiful and humbling to say the least.

Maybe my perspective or methods of living are not conventional and to some, even foolish, but this is the way I choose to live. I do not beg, I work for every bite of food I take and make sure that not one person is left with less than they had before I encounter them after I leave. So, though transient at times, I am no bum. (just wanted to clairfy that)

I've been doing this sort of thing off and on for most of my life and have had experiences that most people (from what I've gathered through conversation over the years) never allow themselves to have, for one reason or another. I know there is an element of danger to my lifestyle, the uncertainty and all, but it's what I live for. We all have to die some day, I want to make sure I've taken in as much of this life as I can before my time comes, and honestly, if I were to die today, I'd feel pretty good about the life I've lived.

So, with a semi-proper introduction out of the way, I will say that I have since secured a place to stay and am just hunting around for a job. So any leads on that department will be greatly appreciated. I'm going out today to turn in about another 20 applications or so, so honestly, with my work history (which is pretty damn solid and with good references considering my style of living if I do say so myself) I should be able to have one secured by the end of the week. None the less, if anybody has anything they know of, I would be much obliged to follow up. Again, I work hard, I don't drink or do drugs, am honest and have experience in many fields ranging from food service, retail management, film production, welding, landscaping, wharehousing, shipping and receiving, clerical skills and such. I've done a bit of everything.

Again, thanks a lot guys for your information.

Also, as a post script, should you need to know, I'm around Spenard and W. 42nd at the hostel. I've got a good monthly rate until I find something more permanent, and the people here seem to be on the same wave length for the most part. (No drinking or drugs, no parties, no shit-heads) So, I'm pretty cool about my current situation.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to Alaska.

It does not seem that your situation is as dire as your brother makes it out to be.  My parents are the same way, even though I have more land and money than they do.  Still nice to know they care though.

IF you need stuff, extra clothes, etc, lemme know, I might be able to dig something up for when I am up there next time.  Anchorage can get pretty f-ing cold sometimes, not near as cold as the interior, but still, pretty damn cold.

Here in Seward, I have met many who were just working their way across the land just for kicks.  I kind of did the same thing, 'cept I just went straight to Seward from Anchorage.  

Just wait till summer, it is a blast.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, 30 and still tarveling, cool.  Check out Denali Park for a good summer job.  

Are we still taking about Alaska when you say Hostel and there is no drinking or drugs??  It is rare that I have seen a place like that in Alaska.  

Alaska is a tough place to make it on your own, Anchorage is not so bad.  But if you are look for "the adventure" hit your local Army or Marine recruiters.  They seem to send you around the world to the most adventurest of places.  This too would probably add to you adveture book that you are writing.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried that at one point in my life, but unfortunately, certain medical conditions in my history kept me from being able to enlist. Needless to say, it was a serious disappointment. It's funny though, my want to join has convinced many of my friends to do so, and they've written me telling me how much it's improved their lives, not to mention all the cool things that come with the job. I've got friends over in Iraq right now that I would give anything to be able to join. One thing I have been considering though, is researching and applying for the needed liscensing through the Dept. of State for journalist credentials in order to try to get embedded with a unit over there, preferably with one of my friends. Of course, a lot of my other friends tell me it's too dangerous, but I was highly inspired by Michael Yaun's blog and would love to add to the honest reporting going on over there as opposed to the bullshit the mainstream media is spewing out into the minds of those who don't take the time to think for themselves. None the less, at this point, I'm in this corner of the world doing my thing. And I must add that so far, I have absolutely no regrets.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Just to update you guys, I've got a really good job now at a Camera shop, so all of my ducks are now in a row. Thanks for the advice and offers and such. Now, if only summer would get here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just to update you guys, I've got a really good job now at a Camera shop, so all of my ducks are now in a row. Thanks for the advice and offers and such. Now, if only summer would get here.

5 more months and summer will start  We are almost there!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish I could do what hes doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top