Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/24/2017 6:28:56 PM EDT
anyone know of a place with a laser that will engrave an ar 15 receiver once the sbr tax stamps start rolling in?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I am also looking for someone to engrave a lower receiver in the CR, Iowa City area.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Try a local trophy shop or bowling alley pro shop.  You would have t stay with the lower and it couldn't stay overnight at either, but both typically have laser engravers capable of engraving the size and depth required.
Steve/RRA
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
i’m meeting with a local trophy shop tomorrow to see what’s possible they only have a CO2 laser which may not be able to hit the required depths but they do have a diamond drag but that they may use. i’ll keep everyone posted
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know or have access to a fiber laser machine here in Iowa?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 2:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Also keep in mind that on an SBR the manufacturer info can be engraved on the barrel, and on an AR the upper receiver as well.  If you don’t want to mess with shipping or driving a lower somewhere
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't you then be limited to that particular barreled upper or upper in that order?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know or have access to a fiber laser machine here in Iowa?
View Quote
You shouldn't need a fiber laser to engrave a lower. I'm guessing it would be hugely expensive to have done on one as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also keep in mind that on an SBR the manufacturer info can be engraved on the barrel, and on an AR the upper receiver as well.  If you don’t want to mess with shipping or driving a lower somewhere
View Quote
Can I see info on this? Because neither of those are the registered part. What if you switch uppers then your firearm isn't labeled with the manufacturer right?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can I see info on this? Because neither of those are the registered part. What if you switch uppers then your firearm isn't labeled with the manufacturer right?
View Quote
Check out the SBR section here. It is true you can label the barrel or the upper. But if you switch barrels or uppers then the new ones would need engraved too. So for most it’s easier to just engrave the lower.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Update. I went with Tennessee arms company For my NFA engraving. They do great work, have a great turn around (less than a week) and a great price. highly recommend them!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you get a form 1 back or is this in preparation of a form 1?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I am understanding why CCA is so backed up it looks like it is the only place in state to get your receiver engraved.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am understanding why CCA is so backed up it looks like it is the only place in state to get your receiver engraved.
View Quote
I certainly won't use CCA (or whomever they use), it'a total garbage.

Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I contacted a place called Dreamscape Engraving located in Davenport a few weeks ago. Whoever responded said that their laser was capable, but I felt uncomfortable using them if they'd never done it before. Might be an option for some of you now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I certainly won't use CCA (or whomever they use), it'a total garbage.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/33a5phf.jpg
View Quote
man, like i said a few other times, i sure am sorry that made it out of the shop like that jack.  i'd gladly correct it.  if you don't want to drive, i'll ship it from you to me, and back to you on my dime.

just say the word.

-michael
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I contacted a place called Dreamscape Engraving located in Davenport a few weeks ago. Whoever responded said that their laser was capable, but I felt uncomfortable using them if they'd never done it before. Might be an option for some of you now.
View Quote
I'm across the river in Moline and can engrave lowers.  I'm not sure I can get the required depth though?  I have a pantagraph and about 20 years experience.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top